Officiating

craigsker

Enunwa's was def a catch. He had full control and was clearly trying to stretch for extra yardage

I haven't watched the broadcast of it, but from South stadium student section it looked like he was trying to stretch before he actually came down to the ground, and as soon as his body hit the ground the ball popped out (not a catch, by rule).

I thought the officiating was ok, if not better than usual. Two of those were rightly corrected. When Stave put his knee down, they made the correct call just a little late. That leaves us with the Enunwa catch or non-catch. It was very close but did not "feel" like a catch to me. I don't think they could've got that call right or wrong.

What's more interesting is that Bo didn't challenge it when he had one (and all three timeouts) available. I thought that was an opportunity that Bo let slip by...especially since replay looked like it would have been in our favor, and we're talking about a first and goal from the three.

They were obviously trying to "help" Wisconsin in the 4th quarter. The pass interference on Seisy on an uncatchable ball the tickiest tackiest penalty i have seen in my 28 years on this earth. And then a couple plays later the blatant advancement of the ball to give Wisconsin a 1st down was not even close. Not only did they give them an extra whole yard, but they moved the chains without even thinking about it. It was so blatant. I still have not decided which officiating crews are worse, Big 12 or Big 10. Other things that drove me nuts, throwin a flag on a screen pass for inelegible man downfield. What is this, junior high?

Yeah, that's sure what it looked like. I didn't think it was even close to a first down. Maybe a yard or so away. Thankfully the refs corrected the rogue chain gang and moved the chains back, correctly making it fourth and one.

The call I had the biggest problem with was the Taylor fumble. I was screaming at the TV for it to get reviewed because when they showed the replay I thought it looked like his arm was started forward, which would have made it an incomplete pass. Even if it didn't get overturned, I would have liked to see it get looked at again because if his arm wasn't coming forward, it was pretty close.

The Enunwa play COULD have been called a catch, it just depends on what you call a "football move". He caught it clearly, took a step, and then dove forward. To me, the action of diving forward and taking the ball from your body to your hands is a football move. There is no doubt that it should have been reviewed and I'm pretty sure it wasn't. I also thought the Martinez fumble in the third was an incomplete pass. It looked to me like his arm was coming forward slightly, but again it comes down to interpretation of the rule. Definitely should have been reviewed. They also missed an OPI on them sometime in the second quarter I think. I thought the officials were decent for most of the game. They definitely caught most of the breaks though.

The other team always catches the majority of the breaks every time they play the Huskers. Every single time. It's obviously a conspiracy. There has never been a game where Nebraska hasn't been screwed by the refs.

Hopefully I don't need the sarcasm thing here...

Thanks for adding to the conversation. Hopefully I don't need the sarcasm thing here...

If a receiver goes to the ground while making a catch, the receiver must maintain control of the ball through the entire process. If the ball comes loose, it is an incomplete pass. This rule was put in place for just these types of circumstances and this same call is made many times every Saturday. There is no reason to review that play when it was clearly incomplete by rule.

On Seisay's pass interference call, he did grab the receivers jersey and probably affected his progress. If the ref see's that, they are going to call pass interference every time.

All the other calls in the list were called correctly or reviewed and corrected.

From our perspective, the main call that was clearly called correctly was reviewing the spot on their second-to-last play. If that one had not been reviewed, 100% of us would be saying the officiating was terrible. But they got that one right, and that's an objective perspective. He clearly didn't cross the marker. They reviewed it. Ball had a stroke. They lost the game.

They were obviously trying to "help" Wisconsin in the 4th quarter. The pass interference on Seisy on an uncatchable ball the tickiest tackiest penalty i have seen in my 28 years on this earth. And then a couple plays later the blatant advancement of the ball to give Wisconsin a 1st down was not even close. Not only did they give them an extra whole yard, but they moved the chains without even thinking about it. It was so blatant. I still have not decided which officiating crews are worse, Big 12 or Big 10. Other things that drove me nuts, throwin a flag on a screen pass for inelegible man downfield. What is this, junior high?

That one got to me. I didn't notice it while at the game, but watching the replay yesterday, blatant as you said. The ref runs over spots the ball and tells the chain gang to move. All of this, without EVER looking back at the sideline.

That one got to me. I didn't notice it while at the game, but watching the replay yesterday, blatant as you said. The ref runs over spots the ball and tells the chain gang to move. All of this, without EVER looking back at the sideline.

I was also wondering about that. Only thing I could think was the side judge must've deduced that if the ball touched the 50 line, it was a 1st down before the play!

On 3rd down after the Enunwa Catch that wasn't called one (it was a catch) Martinez rolled out and went back to Enunwa again on a deep comebacker and there was clear pass interference on the play. The Defender came over the top and Q got shoved into the ground before the ball got there.

Also, I know Wisconsin fans keep saying they left a FG off the board and were held all night, but we also left a FG off the board and were held all night - Eric Martin in particular was absolutely mugged almost every time he was on the field.

The refs were equally bad for both teams - which considering the referees in the conference, that's a good night for them. They didn't decide the game. The only reason it was even a game at all is because Nebraska fumbled 6 freaking times.

On 3rd down after the Enunwa Catch that wasn't called one (it was a catch) Martinez rolled out and went back to Enunwa again on a deep comebacker and there was clear pass interference on the play. The Defender came over the top and Q got shoved into the ground before the ball got there.

Also, I know Wisconsin fans keep saying they left a FG off the board and were held all night, but we also left a FG off the board and were held all night - Eric Martin in particular was absolutely mugged almost every time he was on the field.

The refs were equally bad for both teams - which considering the referees in the conference, that's a good night for them. They didn't decide the game. The only reason it was even a game at all is because Nebraska fumbled 6 freaking times.

One of those fumbles actually helped us get a first down :D