Not sure what to think about our chances next weekend

Until I saw Bo and Paps field a completely different D in the 2nd half against Wisky, I would have to agree with the above. That change and intensity really shocked me. Something I haven't seen in quite some time. The fact that Bo made the comment to the press about him still knowing something about defense shows me Bo has forgotten more than I will ever know.

The DL made up of 4 DE's was a thing of brilliance on 3rd and long.

Evans requesting to cover Abberderis, Randle wanting to get back in, Stein finally playing with intensity shows me something is going on with the D. Leadership is emerging.

I really think that Bo has done some studying and realizes that to win the B1G and possibly the MNC, we will need to stop the mobile QB. There is no way that he can realistically think our standard D will work. It didn't last year when we had less overall talent IMO. Not to take away from David at all, but no Crick, Fonzie basically hurt all year etc.... I think we actually have the DB's in place to stay with Miller. Maybe we even spy this year. Put SJB on him or Evans or Cooper. I really expect Bo to show us something new, if nothing more to throw it in the face of the fans. Hey if disliking us (not saying he does) motivates him to do the old, "I'll show you", then so be it.

Again, the D staff really impressed me last night and I think that the staff, team and fans learned a little bit last night that will pay dividends going forward.

Lo,

Glad you brought up the piece about the Dline with 4 DE's, I almost forgot about that part of the game and I would agree that was awesome. I was actually watching the game with my dad and we were literally begging the staff to do something ANYTHING to bring some heat against Stave and the few times we did (Zone Blitz and the speedy Dline) it caused all sorts of problems. Miller is not a QB equipped to burn us with his arm (at least not yet), I would go after him early and often to try and rattle him, if we give up a few big plays as a trade off here and there, then so be it.

I really want to buy into your opinion and would be lying if I said that I wasn't tempted to do so, it's just difficult to argue with history and when I sit down and look at this game I keep coming back to a few key points:

- We are on the road after an emotional win (ala last year when MSU visited us after knocking off Wisconsin)

- The struggles we've historically had against Mobile QB's

- The fact that Pelini has struggled with winning games in the month of October

On O we have to avoid the multiple miscues that made the Wiscy game so freaking close. If we can clean things up I can see us winning a shootout.

On D we have to contain and get to Miller. He was killing us last year before he went down.

It's a night game in the shoe and we still need to show we can handle a mobile qb, have to give OSU the edge.

OSU's defense is not that great in my opinion. Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't they dead last in defense ranking in the Big 10? I don't normally go off stats, as every game is different, but I have also watched them struggle in every game they have played this year. Defense wise, I think we need to rush 6, 1 QB Spy (the faster of the LB's which will probably be Santos), and man on man in the back. I think the return of Rome on the Dline has helped the morale there as well. If Steinkuhler can get through the line like he did against WI, that will open a lot more opportunities for our defense to make big plays. Braxton is a great QB, but under pressure, he is mediocre. Makes poor decisions, which leads to turnovers.

Offense, if we limit our turnovers, we will do fine. Between Rex and Abdullah, with Heard, Janovich and Cross in to let them breathe, we should have no problem wearing down that defense. Martinez is also going to have to be just as mobile as he was in the 2nd half of the Wisconsin game. Use their strategy against them. I have no feeling our offense won't score points, but out defense needs to show up and make an impact, and make an impact early.

I rewatched the game last night and I noticed something that excited me about or D line. Many times it appeared that they weren't playing 2 gap. They were shooting gaps and getting behind the line of scrimmage. It did appear that they would switch back and forth. But, on big plays where we made stops, the D line appeared to be shooting the gaps and being in place to make a play.

Hopefully this is a direction they go more and more.