Rex still the man, but Abdullah is a beast

Obviously, Saturday was not Rex's best performance of his career. He is still the man, but it appeared that Abdullah's jitterbug style of running the football was more effective than Rex against that Wisconsin D.

Borland is a tremendous LB, and I think he will have a long career ahead of him in the NFL. He got the best of Rex early on in the game. During the second half, though, I saw a couple different runs from Ameer that broke Borland's ankles. Abdullah cuts so sharp and hard, I can't imagine being a defender and trying to take him down. He is absolutely amazing, and I feel pretty secure now about our future at RB going forward after seeing what he has done during the first 5 games this year.

Don't get me wrong, Rex is still the man. But when we get in positions like Saturday when we need a change-of-pace guy, Ameer is a great guy to go to.

On a side note, something I was impressed by was the fact that Andy Janovich appears to have conquered the #1 spot at FB. He has played well, and I haven't been super impressed with Marrow. It's great to see a true freshman walk-on get the nod over a couple of really good players. Congrats to Andy and job well done!

I would contend also that Rex was pressing a bit. Ameer has been playing and getting a lot of carries. Rex was still shaking off the rust. Ameer had his chemistry w the online and Rex was still feeling his way. Plus that knee brace seems pretty cumbersome. I'd venture to say that w more reps this week in practice Rex will look more like himself on saturday.

Ameer did look very salty. He just has no hesitation, knows how to get himself in space, and runs very determined.

Abdullah is a great runner, but he is no Rex. Rex is far more experienced, and its easier for defenses to know that Rex is most likely going to get a carry if he is in the backfield. You also have to remember Rex is also still coming off that MCL injury. Unlike Abdullah, Rex can pound through the line. Abdullah is faster and more versatile which makes he more dangerous when he is in the secondary.

I believe the most talented back we have is Braylon Heard. I think he runs better and is more patient than Abdullah. I am not trying to take anything away from Abdullah, because I would take all 3 of them any day of the week.

• Fire 3

Agree with the OP - Ameer deserves huge props.

It's really all about rotation at this point. Regardless of who's getting more carries or being more effective, the main thing is that Rex isn't going to be gassed by the end of the 3rd quarter. You could see that paying huge dividends for our ground game in the 4th quarter.

I think you also have to remember that early in the game when Rex was getting the carries, our O line was getting dominated up front, there simply was no place for him to go. Speaking of breaking ankles, how about Rex's short gain where he was pinned in the backfield and completely juked their other LB (#53) and was able to at least gain positive yardage. And that stiff arm was absolutely classic, I think he held that defender off for somthing like 15 yards.

I do think Ameer is a nice change of pace (as is Heard), but if absolutely have to have a couple of critical yards, Rex is still the guy I want carrying the ball.

Dont forget how much Rex has taught these guys. Work ethic and all that. AMeer is a different back than he was just a year ago.... I attribute that to Rex. I hope whenever Rex hangs up his cleats, he will come back to NU as a RB coach. Martinez may be the QB, but this offensive leader is Rex, even when he isnt on the field.

Rex is a shinning example of a great football player and an even better person. If i ever have a son, i would be proud if was half the man that Rex is.

These guys are even to me. It's nice to have that 1-2 punch. When we needed a change of pace, we went to Ameer to open it up a bit. Then when we got em on their heals and wore down from chasin Ameer and Taylor all over, we went back to Rex in straight I for the go ahead score.

Andy Janovich is the next great walk-on fullback. As a freshman walk-on doing what he did Saturday in bigtime Big 10 football, he showed Mackovicka-like passion and intensity. The play in the 3rd qtr where he just buried Mike Taylor?(it was either him or Borland) and drove him back and off his feet was vintage Nebraska football.