Huskers v Sooners coming soon?

I agree with my fellow longtime Husker fan who has cherished memories of NU vs. OU all the way back to childhood, but somehow isn't feeling it right now.

I realized that my nostalgia was tied up in the Big 8. Everything that happened in the Big 12 felt like a different chapter, or another book entirely. I wanted to beat Colorado more than Oklahoma. Wanted to beat Texas more than anything. The conference championship game became the final game of the season, and it didn't necessarily match up the two best teams.

If NU-OU just maintained our separate ways and possibly hooked up in a bowl game, I'd dig the nostalgia of the match-up. The idea of an annual rivalry, just as we're establishing heated new rivalries in the Big 10, doesn't excite me. Not entirely sure why.

I will say that in all my years following college football, it was considered common knowledge that OU considered Texas its #1 rivalry, based more on geography and culture than anything having to do with football rankings.

If this were something that would'a hooked up right away as we joined the Big 10, a lot of people wouldve been on board with it. But the fact is is by 2021, this conference matchup will have been 10 years removed, and the annual rivalry will have been 24 years removed. We will have been so separated from history by then that the game itself wont mean much. It'll just be a nice reunion for a 50th anniversary of the greatest game ever played.

Don't want it. Sorry to say but this game hasn't meant anything on a large scale in over 20 years. Time to let it go. We need to form a new rivalry. Too bad Wisconsin wasn't in our division, think that could have been the one. Penn State could have been if not for the....well you know. Iowa, is it competitive enough? Michigan already has OSU, Michigan State has Michigan. Northwestern and Minnesota, not "big time". Oh well, guess we just have to go beat everyone every year.

Really? 2001 was over 20 years ago? Cause it was two top ranked teams playing each other and it was a classic. I don't understand why people wouldn't want this game. It's a throwback to the Big8 days and it's a quality opponent from our former conference. Rich with history...

Who should we play instead? Oregon? Florida State? Alabama? To me Oklahoma is right up there with bama and ahead of the other two. Why is it that a school has to have ONE rival? The oklahoma Nebraska rivalry was different and interesting because of that. Right now we have no annual game that is a big deal.

I guess I just don't understand why people are so against playing a quality out of conference opponent annually. Notre Dame makes a living off of this. They haven't done much for a long time but people still recognize the Notre Dame brand. They continue to play USC and that's a big deal. Oklahoma was playing Texas every year well before they joined the same conference. OU is one of those schools that is going to be good more often than not. Lock it in.

But you talk about irrelevancy. The longer we go without this matchup, the more irrelevant it becomes. it's so similar to recruiting in how we say we've been mediocre for so long that the current recruits simply do not remember Nebraska as a power. Same with this rivalry. By the time 2021 comes around, so many of the fans at that time will simply not remember what it was like for that rivaly. Sure we had the big games in '00 and '01, but truthfully you have to go back to 1988 till you find a game in thick of the every year matchup that lived up to the rivalry's expectations. By 2021, this will have been 33 years. So it would only be remembered by folks probably 45 years or so and older that it actually means something to. And even they woudla been super youngins at that tail end time. Once the matchup went to a 4 year rotation, it lost a lot of luster.

keep in mind, the ND and Michigan series is relatively new in history terms (about 20 years).

The only way to create a rivalry, is to play every year. I dont care if people thinks its dead, fine so be it. Start it back up and within 4-5 years the rivalry will be back.

P.S. Seriously? you are the first person to make my ignore list. Every single post you made here has made people dumber from reading it. Congrats on being the first!

Look, I used to crave the OU game even more than that left over turkey I ate before and during the game. I can be called an old timer. When I was in school, nothing beat OU week in Lincoln.

But, it's not a rivalry anymore. Anyone who thinks it is is hanging on the past. They are not our rivals.

Also, OU chickened out on us when the Big 12 was formed. They had the opportunity to play us every year and ran away from us.

It was never the rivalry to them that it was to us, Texas was their real rival, I would hardly call it chickening out. We had a special game 40 years ago..... then Switzer proceeded to own Osborne.(12-5) and basically we became the CU Buffs in that we cherished the " Rivalry " more than they did.

You must be too young to realize that OU vs NU was for a shot at the MNC almost every year....the UT "rivalry" was fabricated by UT and the Big 12 to seem as if it was a bigger rivalry. That is why UT made it a point to kill the annual NU vs OU game so their game could take over for OU main rival. The reason for this is that for most of the 70's-90's, UT was nothing more than another guaranteed OOC win as OU annually smacked them around like the little sisters of the poor.