Mark May picks NU over OSU?

1. ESPN is not anti-Nebraska

I think the whole "Greatest Team Ever" thing they did left permanent marks on the minds of some Husker fans. Herbstreit did get legitimately emotional over that deal, and in the process kind of denigrated Nebraska football. (A fan could perceive it that way at least. A Sun Devil fan probably got a chuckle out of it maybe, but if you love Nebraska, there is a good chance you could've taken it as an agitated, animated belittlement of the accomplishments achieved by some of the best Nebraska teams in history.) That's how I saw it at the time.

As years pass, I realize they can't all sit around and quietly agree on everything, because people will turn the channel. (Or that's the fear, I guess.) May and Alberts also perpetually acted like competing silverbacks during mating season every single halftime show or SC or whatever program they were on together. So whether the animosity was real or contrived, the end result was that May would unreasonably say negative things about Nebraska just as he'll needle Holtz about ND now out of the blue.

This is another formulaic strategy by that network though, as we all know. The "Adversaries." Like John Clayton and the "unfortunate cell picture" guy who's name eludes me at the moment. The vitriol between those two was laughably forced. It was almost unintentionally funny.

It's fake controversy mostly, and I agree: that network doesn't hate Nebraska. We have a huge fanbase. They're not stupid; they don't want to alienate those fans. The Herbstreit thing was a little different though. He turned real ire straight at the center of Nebraska football, and as he was becoming the face of that network's CFB programming at the time, it resonated. I was pissed about it.

Now I don't care at all. I just watch the games, and if Nebraska isn't on I typically don't have broadcast audio going at all. Jesse Palmer or The Rolling Stones? That's not a tough decision.

Hmmm. Urban Meyer on the sidelines and Sympathy of the Devil in the background? I might need to try that.

I think the real issue is... why are we having this conversation? :dunno:confucius

Cliff notes version: Mark May picked us to win. Mark May is a douche. Who gives a flying **** what analysts pick who to win? I mean it's nice to get some love, but it's not like Jesse Palmer/Herby/May/BTN guys/any other analyst's opinion is ever going to affect the game itself.

All that matters is what happens on the field. And the nearer this game gets the better I like our chances. We'll see if the D turned a corner... Luckily, against OSU, if you stop Braxton, you stop OSU.

I think the real issue is... why are we having this conversation? :dunno:confucius

Cliff notes version: Mark May picked us to win. Mark May is a douche. Who gives a flying **** what analysts pick who to win? I mean it's nice to get some love, but it's not like Jesse Palmer/Herby/May/BTN guys/any other analyst's opinion is ever going to affect the game itself.

All that matters is what happens on the field. And the nearer this game gets the better I like our chances. We'll see if the D turned a corner... Luckily, against OSU, if you stop Braxton, you stop OSU.

FACT: If we didnt worry about this stuff, this board would not exist, nor would the intranets.

Yep, pretty much a fact around here that if you don't hate Herbstreit and May, you just don't fit in at Huskerboard. Glad to say I don't fit in.

i vividly remember a very giddy Herbstreit at the end of the 2005 Michigan game when Ross was breaking some nice runs. i can tolerate May. He is a great speaker and does make some valid points. Even old Holtz doesn't get on my nerves too badly. Maybe I am just too easy going...

i have no doubts in my mind that we win this one...should be close but i got faith in the guys!

Before the season began 95% of us had this game picked as a loss. So if we lose tomorrow will there be a board meltdown? I know we can win this game, but I am not counting on it due to the mistakes we seem to make. Couple that with a very mobile QB too.

In honesty it is a big deal, when ESPN or any other talking head picks Nebraska. It is a positive for the program in the eyes of the kids that play the game. Having our name in front of the the recruiting aged kids on a regular basis does nothing but good. It may even get a kid thinking Bama to at least give us a shot. Positive TV exposure is necessary for this program to return to where we once were. Relevant. We win this game, it will be used by this staff as a recruiting tool. This is business and advertising unpaid for it a great thing. Why do you think SC played Utah last night on TV. Sole audience out there and right in the middle of it, Nebraska was mentioned numerous times. Wins on important no question, but with the wins and positive mentions by ESPN will help this program. It was even mentioned the other day on Finebaum how much power ESPN has in leading teh country to their ideas. They were the first last year saying the it should be Bama and LSU in the MNC. It happened. Having a giant powerhouse pulling or advertising for you is great.

Do not like Mark May much at all, but he is normally pretty damned close. Herbie I have always liked, and he knew we rigged that competition and we all know we did, so accept it.

Last night was good for Nebraska, now it is up to the staff and team to make hay from it.