Name your new coach

Didn't "Arizona" Stoops give up 33 points to an inept NU offense? And give all Husker fans hope that "Nebraska's Back!!!"

If Papuchis can make as much improvent as Beck did in one year, next year could be fun. Truthfully, I'm not done enjoying this year. I still feel that NU has just a good of shot at a B1G Championship this year as any other eligible team.

He could turn out just fine in a couple years, which is possible. But we don't have a couple years anymore. We can't always be playing for "a couple years down the road". We have to play to win the game! Getting the best assistants is how you do that. It's not a coincidence the SEC pays the most to the best assistants, and happens to be the best conference.

why not?

I'm not saying Bo is a bad head coach or makes awful decisions. That's not my point. My point is that we always go the cheap route rather than going the route that will maximize the potential we have on the field. Beck seems to be doing decent, although he still has questionable play calls and game plans. Yeah recruiting changed because we switched conferences, but if you don't put a top notch staff around you can't expect greatness. That's a major difference between Bo and TO. TO had the best of the best around him. He wasn't tutoring a D coordinator and overseeing the offense with 2 new coordinators.

I'm not saying Bo is a bad head coach or makes awful decisions. That's not my point. My point is that we always go the cheap route rather than going the route that will maximize the potential we have on the field. Beck seems to be doing decent, although he still has questionable play calls and game plans. Yeah recruiting changed because we switched conferences, but if you don't put a top notch staff around you can't expect greatness. That's a major difference between Bo and TO. TO had the best of the best around him. He wasn't tutoring a D coordinator and overseeing the offense with 2 new coordinators.

Did he? or did he? What do we base that on? How many of Osborne's assistants went on to great head coaching careers somewhere else? And if they were so great, most of them being there for as long as they were, they had to start somewhere.

Those Arizona teams have no where near the talent we have, and as I already said, Stoops isn't a good head coach. It's not like I'm calling for Bo's head. I just said I disagreed with how we frequently promote from within because its cheaper. It doesn't move the needle. We need to move the needle in order to improve. For the sake of discussion, what if Papuchis doesn't improve next year, or the year after? How many years do we give him? The same amount as Watson? Then we just wasted 3 years and a championship window (2009 team woulda won some games if Watson was out). Then do we promote from within and try again? Hoping for someone to save our bacon? That's why I don't want people learning on the job when you're 5 seasons deep and on the cusp of being relevant again. If those was Bo'a 1,2, maybe 3rd season...fine. 5th? No thanks.

Can guarantee when BAMA loses Kirby they won't promote someone "just to keep them around", Saban will be DAMN sure they are ready to be his DC. It's not something you can just leave to chance when you're trying to play with the big boys.

Did he? or did he? What do we base that on? How many of Osborne's assistants went on to great head coaching careers somewhere else? And if they were so great, most of them being there for as long as they were, they had to start somewhere.

He was the O coord (so he didn't tutor himself) and Charlie McBride was no newcomer when we were on the brink of greatness

Those Arizona teams have no where near the talent we have, and as I already said, Stoops isn't a good head coach. It's not like I'm calling for Bo's head. I just said I disagreed with how we frequently promote from within because its cheaper. It doesn't move the needle. We need to move the needle in order to improve. For the sake of discussion, what if Papuchis doesn't improve next year, or the year after? How many years do we give him? The same amount as Watson? Then we just wasted 3 years and a championship window (2009 team woulda won some games if Watson was out). Then do we promote from within and try again? Hoping for someone to save our bacon? That's why I don't want people learning on the job when you're 5 seasons deep and on the cusp of being relevant again. If those was Bo'a 1,2, maybe 3rd season...fine. 5th? No thanks.

Can guarantee when BAMA loses Kirby they won't promote someone "just to keep them around", Saban will be DAMN sure they are ready to be his DC. It's not something you can just leave to chance when you're trying to play with the big boys.

Yes, because Saban has been a head coach, in different parts of the country, in college and NFL. He knows what he wants. Bo? He's still figuring those types of things out, and still doing a decent enough job in the wake of it. Saban's Michigan st teams were'nt exactly world beaters, and he wasnt always dominant at lsu either. he had to learn too.

Nick Saban

Chip Kelly

Jim Tressel

Les Miles

Realistically, I'd give Kirby Smart a chance.

That list is pure fantasy. Not a single one of those guys (barring maybe Tressel, who most programs would consider poison) has any reason to come here.

For any coach to be a realistic possibility, you have to be able to answer why they would want to come to Nebraska, where the fanbase is somehow not satisfied with 9/10 win seasons, despite being located in one of the worst areas of the country in terms of recruiting. And no, money is not the answer, because other programs have just as much of it, and are more willing to pay than NU.

Bill Cowher would be my top pick, even though there is zero chance of that happening, since he has his pick of NFL jobs. Would love to have Saban of course, but he's not leaving the SEC.

Others:

Rich Rodriguez

Dan Mullen

Chris Petersen

Gary Patterson

Bobby Petrino

Jon Gruden

I also wouldn't mind Pete Carroll or Jim Tressel. Yes there would be sanctions to deal with, but the payoff in the long run would be worth it. Or what about former Tennessee coach Philip Fulmer? Won a NC at Tennessee, very underrated.

what about former Tennessee coach Philip Fulmer? Won a NC at Tennessee, very underrated.

You can't be serious the year before he got lucky he had his a$$ handed to him by NE and he had Peyton Manning for his QB.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1:

Who would you take from the pro ranks Bull? I picked guys who were younger(cept wade) and that have some HC experience and are defensive guys(cept mcdaniels)!

Not sure a pro coach is what we need. I'm not a huge pro fan and the only name that comes to mind is Jim Harbaugh. Right now I'm satisfied with Bo. I don't think a program can fire two coaches who have won 9+ games a year and gone to bowls every year and then expect to attract a quality replacement.

T_O_B

:bigredn:

Let me say this first, Bo is our couch, he is my coach, and I don't see that changing. For sake of conversation though, I will say that Petersen would be a huge hire, but look what happened to Colorado when they hired the Coach of the Year from Boise State. Nothing good. Richt is interesting, especially with his native roots. But Leach is the most intriguing to me. He seems to be a little eccentric but maybe thats whats needed with todays game. He got it done in the Big 12, he can get it done in the Big 10. I wouldnt hold this years record against him at WSU, if he had the facilities and program of a place like Lincoln I think he could get back to his TT success. Would need to hire a VERY good D coord tho, and by hire I mean we shoudl be the one to pick out the D Coord and say this is who you got.

Relatively speaking. You can't directly compare records like that. Many of the jobs were rebuilding to start with. And none of those programs have the resources or athletes. They have raised the bar at their respective schools. A number of them also take games they know they will lose for money. Like the SEC East.

Duke has a better record at this point this year than we do. And the last guys to be successful at Duke are either in the Hall of Fame(Bowden), or will be first ballot(Spurrier) If you can win there, you can win anywhere.

Northwestern is similar. You think its hard getting kids here? Try there, and they have much harder admissions also. closer to Stanford.

Franklin got Vandy to a bowl. That is a monumental feat.

The Davis I was thinking of is at Cincy. Who is undefeated right now.

Hoke didn't have 12-0 records year in and out before

Next time, be a little more clear with your choices...

You'd take these guys over Bo? In all seriousness, you think these guys would do a better job? So if we get the current Duke HC, he'll show up at our place and win a couple hundred games?

But these teams you speak of, Vandy, Cincy, Northwestern, and Duke. Other than a good year here or there, has any of these teams been relevant in the college landscape in the past 10 or 15 years. Do you feel supremely confident that any of the aforementioned guys could lead us to the promise land. I highly doubt it.

Did Devany coming out of Wyoming have the look of great coach? Hoke was not 'relevant.' Les Miles got hired at LSU simply for the fact at the time he was the only man to beat Bob Stoops twice. And Stoops was an untested DC before landing at OU. Saban didn't come out of Michigan State with the best coach around look. Carrol was at least the 3rd pick at USC, and he was fired twice from the NFL, no track record of success at all. Tressel was hired away from Youngstown State. Chip Kelly came out of 1-AA at the time. Bielma no one had ever heard of before Alvarez picked him to follow him.

Do I think some of those guys could do a better job than Bo? Absolutely They win games they are supposed to lose. Beat more talented teams. Elevated programs that often were dumpster fires when they came in, and won games.

I should've clarified, Bo shouldn't lost his job UNLESS we can somehow get Saban. Assistant coaches need to be re evaluated. Starting with OL, DC, ST and OC - and leaving competition open daily. No way another qb shouldn't of been in that game vs Ohio State. I've been hammered for saying it, but we won't ever be an elite team with Taylor at the helm. For every big play he makes 2-3 knucklehead plays (interception, fumble, bad read - passing or running).

We are already on the second guy at every assistant position except Barney Cotton in the last 2 years. I don't have faith that Bo can make hires for the positions he already missed on. If we are going to blow up systems, then blow the whole thing up and start over with someone who has a unified vision.