More Interesting 2012 Stats

Just breezing over some more stats again this morning. Here are a few of interest:

1. We currently rank 119th in fumbles/game, averaging 3.0 fumbles a game, fumbling the ball 3.7 times/game at home, and 2.0 times/game on the road. Last season, we fumbled the ball 2.2 times/game.

• The company we have on the bottom of the list is exceptionally noteworthy, with the likes of football powerhouses in Air Force, Arkansas, Army, Memphis and Maryland. These are they only teams that fumble the ball more than us, with the exception of Air Force, who also averages 3.0 fumbles/game.

2. Our defense is currently ranked 105th in rushing yards allowed, giving up 220.8 yds/game. We average giving up 129.7 yds/game at home, while giving up an average of 357.5 yds/game on the road.

• Kansas, UAB, Colorado St, Clemson, Wake, Akron, Texas State, Florida Atlantic, Arkansas State, Central Mich, Marshall, Miami, Umass, Hawaii, Miamo (OH), Tulane, Rice, Boston College and Eastern Michigan are all teams worse against the run.

3. Our secondary has played very well this season and it shows. We are ranked 13th in passing yards allowed/game, averaging 177.6 yards/game.

• Well done Terry Joseph and guys in the secondary! They truly are a bright spot in this defense.

4. When you break our defense down by quarter, here's what you get. We rank 72nd in 1st quarter points allowed, averaging 7.0 points 1st quarter points/game. We rank 109th in 2nd quarter points/game, averaging 12.8. We rank 70th in 3rd quarter points/game, averaging 6.8 3rd quarter points/game. We rank 36th in 4th quarter points/game, allowing an average of 5.2 4th quarter points/game.

5. Here's a fun one, Taylor Martinez is currently tied for 2nd in the nation in total fumbles with 8. He is tied with Trent Steelman (Army) and the leader is Trey Miller (Navy), both of which run an offense predicated on pitching the football.

6. Ameer Abdullah is tied for 18th on that same list with 4 fumbles.

7. We are 116th in the nation in fumbles lost/game, averaging 1.6/game.

• The company at the bottom is about the same with the likes of Southern Miss, Troy, Hawaii, Navy, S Alabama, UAB, Maryland and TCU.

8. We are currently 96th in giveaways/game, averagine 2.4 giveaways/game.

9. We currently rank 106th in turnover margin/game, with an average turnover margin of -1.2/game.

10. Defensively, we rank 54th in yards/play, averaging 5.3 yards/play. On Saturday, we gave up 7.8 yards/play

11. Our defense currently ranks 76th in 3rd down conversions/game, averaging 6.2/game.

• I remember 3rd down conversions being a topic of conversation during the offseason, with the likes of Pelini and Compton saying we have to get better on letting our opponents convert 3rd downs. Thus far, we're slightly worse than last year when we averaged 6.0 3rd down conversions/game.

These statistics might be the most depressing thing on Huskerboard right now :( Especially taking into account the skill level of the teams we have played thus far.

The problem with turnovers is systemic. Almost like a Pelini trademark. It's even worse considering that it extends from our guys with less experience (Abdullah) to our guys with lots of experience (Martinez), which to me indicates no improvement even after practice, coaching, and playing time.

I had no idea the secondary was playing so well. A tiny bright spot. Of course why throw the ball when all you have to do is run it right over our front four or around the edge where our guys get continually burned....

These statistics might be the most depressing thing on Huskerboard right now :( Especially taking into account the skill level of the teams we have played thus far.

The problem with turnovers is systemic. Almost like a Pelini trademark. It's even worse considering that it extends from our guys with less experience (Abdullah) to our guys with lots of experience (Martinez), which to me indicates no improvement even after practice, coaching, and playing time.

I had no idea the secondary was playing so well. A tiny bright spot. Of course why throw the ball when all you have to do is run it right over our front four or around the edge where our guys get continually burned....

I wouldn't put too much weight into this. UCLA rushed for something like 400 yards against us. Not exactly going to pass the ball much when we are one of the worst rushing defenses in CFB. Same goes for every other team we play from here on out. Just because they are ranked 13th, doesn't mean they don't get picked apart. It just doesn't happen much because it doesn't need to. I'd be curious to see where we rank in regards to opponent's yards per attempt on passing play.

Regardless, we're 89th in interceptions.

I wouldn't put too much weight into this. UCLA rushed for something like 400 yards against us. Not exactly going to pass the ball much when we are one of the worst rushing defenses in CFB. Same goes for every other team we play from here on out. Just because they are ranked 13th, doesn't mean they don't get picked apart. It just doesn't happen much because it doesn't need to.

OR you could just acknowledge that our secondary is pretty damn good in coverage. Ciante is leading the pack of a solid group. When it comes to run support, that's where the entire team is lacking, including the secondary.

I wouldn't put too much weight into this. UCLA rushed for something like 400 yards against us. Not exactly going to pass the ball much when we are one of the worst rushing defenses in CFB. Same goes for every other team we play from here on out. Just because they are ranked 13th, doesn't mean they don't get picked apart. It just doesn't happen much because it doesn't need to.

OR you could just acknowledge that our secondary is pretty damn good in coverage. Ciante is leading the pack of a solid group. When it comes to run support, that's where the entire team is lacking, including the secondary.

OR you could just acknowledge that you're viewing things through your koolaid colored glasses. :) Wisconsin put up 240 yards passing on 28 attempts. 8.6 per "attempt". Ohio state only threw the ball 14 times. UCLA 310 yards on 38 attempts. I'm not saying they are bad - but that's not a #13 secondary. They are a bright spot, like that little white speck on the top of chicken sh!t. All the stats are skewed towards the fact that our rush defense is downright pathetic and we haven't played a team with any sort of passing game. Fortunately we likely won't in this league.

I'd be curious to see where we rank in regards to opponent's yards per attempt on passing play.

We rank 46th in yards/pass attempt, giving up 6.8 yards/attempt. Last year, we were giving up 7.2/attempt and against Ohio State, we were giving up 9.1/attempt.

Here's a stat for those that like to bitch and moan about Tim Beck's playcalling and/or use of Taylor Martinez. We currently rank 10th in the nation in rushing attempts/game, at 46.4, while we rank 101st in passing attempts/game at 26.6. So, contrary to popular belief, Tim Beck isn't all huck it-chuck it Taylor Montana.

2. Our defense is currently ranked 105th in rushing yards allowed, giving up 220.8 yds/game. We average giving up 129.7 yds/game at home, while giving up an average of 357.5 yds/game on the road.

:ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

In 07, we were 116th against the run, averaging 232.17 yards/game. :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh :ahhhhhhhh

So, considering these stats wouldn't it have made sense to load the box against Ohio State forcing them to pass? IMO, our secondary is decent enough to put them in one on one situations forcing the opposing team to pass by loading the box.

In theory, yes.

I like theory...

Have we figured out how to cover tOSU TE yet? What? Wait a minute. The game is over?