5 Year Slump?

The excuses being made for failure on here make me laugh, Bob Stoops got it done at Oklahoma right away, why can't Bo at Nebraska?

Cause Stoops had a better team right away than Pelini...

Exactly. Stoops had the personel he needed from the beginning, basically handed to him. Unlike Pelini, it was "Hey Callahan is gone, keep what you want, and hire who you need, but keep Shawn Watson" Eventually he got smart and helped him find another job and promoted Tim Beck. Another guy who had no experience, but he proved everyone wrong with a dynamic offense.

The excuses being made for failure on here make me laugh, Bob Stoops got it done at Oklahoma right away, why can't Bo at Nebraska?

Exactly. Stoops had the personel he needed from the beginning, basically handed to him. Unlike Pelini, it was "Hey Callahan is gone, keep what you want, and hire who you need, but keep Shawn Watson" Eventually he got smart and helped him find another job and promoted Tim Beck. Another guy who had no experience, but he proved everyone wrong with a dynamic offense.

Bo's best defenses came from Callahan players...

Pelini got players who talents were wasted, and luckily he was able to turn them into great players. The ONLY thing Callahan could do, was recruit, I have never denied that, but he had the most talent being wasted, than I have ever seen.

Being a first time HC, its hard to recruit. VERY hard, and having no big names under you, its even more difficult. We have big names, and ones he trusts, which will make recruiting better for the years to come, and the commit list so far should show that.

Pelini got players who talents were wasted, and luckily he was able to turn them into great players. The ONLY thing Callahan could do, was recruit, I have never denied that, but he had the most talent being wasted, than I have ever seen.

Being a first time HC, its hard to recruit. VERY hard, and having no big names under you, its even more difficult. We have big names, and ones he trusts, which will make recruiting better for the years to come, and the commit list so far should show that.

Just look at guys like Ameer and Kenny Bell. They are young and very talented we have those guys on the other side of the football but, Bo has always liked to save them and let them develop. However I want to see more of them in the second half of this season even if it isn't every down.

We focused a lot of our recruiting those first couple of years on Offense, especially offensive skill players. Look where we're at there. WR depth that we've never seen (probably the best WR core in our history). RBs that are dynamic with multiple different skill sets. An overall offense that's scored 30+ points in every game so far. When was the last time we've done that? '95 with the best team ever in CFB?

On the flipside of that though is we missed on a number of the D recruits. Along the D-Line especially. But it looks like the d-line recruits we got this year along with the overall strength of the last couple classes along all three levels means that we have hopefully some good years ahead of us.

For this year though, it's been said before, but Bo either needs to swallow his pride and simplify things on D so that the players react instead of thinking. Or he needs to burn some redshirts (Brown at LB should be the first to play). Take the hits that come with playing freshmen and ride the offense the rest of the year.

Pete Carroll saying f#*k you to official. Plus getting sanctions and bolting. Total class act!

Urban Meyer degrading media member

To your Urban video..

Urban apologizes to the guy in my above video..

hmm, I can't seem to embed this video..

and to your point.. Who cares how others act? I expect the NU coach to act and behave a certain way.

Oklahoma had way more talent when Stoops arrived than Nebraska did when Pelini arrived. Yes, Bo had talent stocked when he got here, and his best defenses were of Callahan players, but it was still not in the same category was what John Blake left for Stoops. How Blake was not able to field competitive teams on talent alone is beyond me. Plus Stoops had an offense of very talented and veteran players.

Oklahoma had way more talent when Stoops arrived than Nebraska did when Pelini arrived. Yes, Bo had talent stocked when he got here, and his best defenses were of Callahan players, but it was still not in the same category was what John Blake left for Stoops. How Blake was not able to field competitive teams on talent alone is beyond me. Plus Stoops had an offense of very talented and veteran players.

Bob Stoops did have great Talent that year. Blake left him a lot of underused talent. He also struck gold on the JC end with Josh Hueple at QB, and a LB Marshall I believe his name was. That year everything went OU way also. They won a lot of close games. All the bounces went there way, which is what is needed to win a NC most years. Heck look at the NU game Nebraska was up 14-0 and then everything starts going OU's way. When an OU reciever catches a pass laying flat on his back, you know that you just can't win.

Oh, I forgot to add. Big Game Bob hasn't been big game bob lately has he. chuckleshuffle OU hasn't been all that great lately and OU fans arn't all that happy. They could lose 2-3 more games this year easy and that won't sit well with the boosters. They could lose to Texas, WVa, ND, OSU, just to name a few.

Stoops may have inherited some talent, but there's no way they win the NC without Josh Heupel(sp) which if memory serves me correctly was brought in by Stoops staff. What I believe some of you are also overlooking is the fact that Stoops brought with him an outstanding cast of assistant coaches with many going on to be successful HC's. How many assistants does Bo have that appear ready to take the leap of being a good HC somewhere? A lot of the coaches listed have had success primarily because of the assistants they had under them with Pete Carroll coming to mind. Even Les Miles surrounds himself with good/great assistants. Bo really hasn't done this yet which might explain some of the struggles.

I've seen a lot of discussion that it is common for a coach to hit a slump in their 5th year because of the time it takes to reload or get the right coaches in place or whatever excuse is being thrown out. Well guess what...there's nothing to this theory whatsoever. More excuses and spin jobs. For every coach you can come up with who excelled after a fifth year slump, I can find one that excelled much earlier. Have a look at this...

In the last 12 years...

Bob Stoops - National Championship - Year 2

Larry Coker - National Championship - Year 1

Jim Tressel - National Championship - Year 2

Nick Saban - National Championship - Year 4

Pete Carroll - National Championship - Year 3 & 4

Urban Meyer - National Championship - Year 2 & 4

Les Miles - National Championship - Year 3

Nick Saban (again) - National Championship - Year 3 & 5

Gene Chizik - National Championship - Year 2

In fact, if you can deduct anything, it's that if your guy doesn't win a National Championship in his first 5 years in today's game, there is a VERY good chance he's never going to. The only coach who has won a NC in the last 12 years which wasn't in his first five years was Mack Brown at Texas. Took him 8.

When will this guy honor his word and JUST GO AWAY? I'm sure Tex-ass could use another dik fan.

T_O_B