B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

To me Rutgers could be the sleeping giant in all of college football. Not only are they in a the biggest tv market in the country, they have a very large alumni base. For sure they don't have the history and tradition of many teams of the BIG but imagine yourself as a Rutgers fan looking foward to that Big East schedule every year. Now replace that with a BIG schedule with teams like PSU, OSU and Michigan coming in. That will instantly be a huge boost to the interest and following of Rutgers football. Now throw in the fact of all the other BIG Alumni in the NY/NJ area who would love to go see their team play while in Rutgers and it will demand the local media pay more attention to that program and the BIG as a whole. Then throw in the BIG money they will receive and increased donor funding to facilities and they have a lot of potential to compete as a top program. I'll put my trust in Delany in this one.

• Fire 1

To me Rutgers could be the sleeping giant in all of college football. Not only are they in a the biggest tv market in the country, they have a very large alumni base. For sure they don't have the history and tradition of many teams of the BIG but imagine yourself as a Rutgers fan looking foward to that Big East schedule every year. Now replace that with a BIG schedule with teams like PSU, OSU and Michigan coming in. That will instantly be a huge boost to the interest and following of Rutgers football. Now throw in the fact of all the other BIG Alumni in the NY/NJ area who would love to go see their team play while in Rutgers and it will demand the local media pay more attention to that program and the BIG as a whole. Then throw in the BIG money they will receive and increased donor funding to facilities and they have a lot of potential to compete as a top program. I'll put my trust in Delany in this one.

There are a few but I'm glad you are getting the picture.

Sleeping giant might be a little much but I believe they can be in that team picture.

There are certain schools that suck but shouldn't. UCLA, A&M, Rutgers(Obviously not this year for all three). Big Ten membership might change that.

The only problem is you don't add teams that are considered weak to an already weak conference. Outside Ohio St and Michigan other teams aren't taken as seriously. The SEC can get away with it cause it is considered the strongest conference. Rutgers on a whole pretty much considered an average team if that. I doubt Maryland is any position to pay the huge exist fee.

Football-wise it makes no sense for the short-term. Delany is a forward-thinker so I'm going to trust there is a much larger picture to this. If it's simply about TV markets then my confidence wasn't well-placed...

And I don't think I've used so many hyphens in a single post before...

Not always about football. There's a reason it was known as the Big 2 and the Little 9. Maryland gives us a stronger foothold in basketball. Don't know what sports wise Rutgers brings to the table. They both bring high academic standards though.

According to the Journal Star referencing a McClatchy Newspaper article, "Maryland is academically deficient, as evidenced by the loss of three scholarships for the 2011-2012 season after failing to hit the minimum Academic Progress Rate".

APR is also affected by players leaving early for the draft. I'm talking about the school as a whole, not just its players.

Football-wise it makes no sense for the short-term. Delany is a forward-thinker so I'm going to trust there is a much larger picture to this. If it's simply about TV markets then my confidence wasn't well-placed...

And I don't think I've used so many hyphens in a single post before...

Not always about football. There's a reason it was known as the Big 2 and the Little 9. Maryland gives us a stronger foothold in basketball. Don't know what sports wise Rutgers brings to the table. They both bring high academic standards though.

Who gives a flying f*@!

tumblr_lerqs1BAlT1qcfba3o1_500.gif

It's not that I don't care about academics at all, but for that to be a primary factor in finding members to expand a conference is not a good idea. If these teams get added, they add no value to the conference. I've been hearing about this "possibly genius plan" that Delany might have to break up the ACC. If I'm the ACC, I thank the B1G for taking away Maryland because of how unstable their school is financially. This move makes almost zero sense.

• Fire 1

From living in Missouri and talking to a lot of Mizzou fans, they feel like they made a mistake by moving to the SEC. I would think that they would accept an invite into the B1G at the drop of a hat, and they would be a much better selection than Rutgers or Maryland. I'd still rather go after VaTech, OU, ND, etc. Hell, I'd probably accept Kansas before freaking Maryland....

Huh...looks like there was some truth to what I heard after all. Sunshine...dog's ass...something something.

Anyone interested in trading our current Penn State crossover for Florida State or Georgia Tech? :)

I ask because the person I first heard this from (and why I started the thread) was adamant that Florida State was the lynchpin of this. He indicates that they're *not* happy with the ACC...though that was before the Notre Dame deal.

This is a very good post. In my mind this theory of expanding into these large markets and then getting these markets to care about college football is risky, and right now these two markets do not care about Rutgers or Maryland. As far as the potential for Rutgers, we shouldn't add schools based on they're potential. I want brand names. I am not sure it would boost the primary rights enough to justify their addition, but if all those tv sets began getting B1G Network on primary cable cha-ching. Also if we are sticking with a contingious footprint this is about the best we can do.

However if we can loose this idea of a contingious footprint wouldn't we rather have Florida St and Clemson? These are bigger brands that already have a supporting fan base.

I used to think Delaney was a smart guy, but ever since the whole "legends/leaders" thing I've had my doubts. Now I'm sure I was wrong.

Patience. If the B1G was wanting to make a move, these two teams would only be brought in along with name schools that would raise the football profile.

IMO, I think the reports of Georgia Tech to the B1G are more credible than Maryland. But if you pair those two with, say, a Georgia Tech and a North Carolina, Florida State, or Missouri...then you're talking about a great expansion that couples quality programs with good media and recruiting market expansions.

Plus, Delaney is no Beebe. Unlike most conference commissioners, I have faith in Delaney and his track record. If Legends/Leaders is his worst misstep, we will be praising this man's vision for decades to come.

However if we can loose this idea of a contingious footprint wouldn't we rather have Florida St and Clemson? These are bigger brands that already have a supporting fan base.

Delaney already said in the past that contiguous expansion wasn't realistic--it came within the slew of comments from him about Southern population shifts.

I wouldn't rule out a FSU or Ga. Tech with these two and an expansion to 16 schools. North Carolina and Clemson would be good alongside Rutgers a d Maryland too.

This doesn't help branding at all, doesn't make the conference stronger, and adds a foothold in an area where people could not possibly care any less about college football

yes im still mad

Since when does New York City and DC not care about college football? They may not care for the local teams, but if you can get them watching quality programs, like, say, a certain program in Lincoln, Ann Arbor, or Columbus, then the expansions will have done their job. More functional than flashy.

I agree with you that they do nothing to help with the B1G's perception in college football, though.