B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

b12 schools arent going anywhere unless the conf disolves. They have all their rights tied to teh B12 conference. If they leave, they get NO money for years to come. The B1G isnt going to take a school that doesnt own their own television rights.

The couch burner doesnt know sh#t, not sure why people even entertain his rediculous ideas.

So if Texas doesn't want to expand and the Big East commissioner has his head in the sand about further expansion....I think Texas should just join the Big East. They can strike a deal with the legislature in those states and just expand the "Texas borders" to the other states with Big East schools.

What isn't being said is that Texass could give two s***s about the rest of their conference (shocking, I know)..., but they're biding time, waiting for ESPN to buy out the Bevo TV deal and then they'll move to greener pastures. That's why they're stuck in the Big XII right now, in spite of their flirtations--if they allow the B1G or Pac-12 to repurpose Bevo TV, they don't get the contract bought out and Texass loses out on that money.

And Texass. Let's not forget they're a viable target that has been talking with the B1G.

An interesting thought this gave me. The new B1G deal in 2016 is projected has been rumored to push the B1G's average payout to 35-40 million I have read. That would be the amount Texass receives in the BigXII, 25 million about, plus Longwhorn Net, 10 million. The B1G adding Texass and creating BTN2 out of LHN along with ESPN would be a huge money maker for the B1G. Just sayin, the money makes sense.

Your right, it would make sense to anyone that isn't a Whorn.

But this is Texass, and there's easy money to be made by waiting out ESPN here. If the BTN takes over Bevo TV, they don't get the contract buyout money from ESPN, which I understand is significant (I'll look later to see if any of the buyout info made it online or not). This way, Texass gets their cake, eats it, and gets to use it as an advantage going into whatever conference they decide.

Plus, Texass assumes that if there are conferences that want them, they'll still want them in a year or two. And unfortunately, they're right.

a rift between Texass and most of the Big XII

Well, this was unexpected. :sarcasm

Yeah, I know, it's a stretch, right? :hookerhorns

b12 schools arent going anywhere unless the conf disolves. They have all their rights tied to teh B12 conference. If they leave, they get NO money for years to come. The B1G isnt going to take a school that doesnt own their own television rights.

If Kansas (or whomever) decides to move a deal will be made. The Big 12 isn't going to leave money on the table just to spite a school who wants out. They'll arrange to return the rights for some percentage of the paper value of the media rights. They're not going to turn down cash in the tens of millions just to sit on rights that no longer have much value to them.

These are business decisions & pragmatism (usually) rules the day.

If Kansas (or whomever) decides to move a deal will be made. The Big 12 isn't going to leave money on the table just to spite a school who wants out. They'll arrange to return the rights for some percentage of the paper value of the media rights. They're not going to turn down cash in the tens of millions just to sit on rights that no longer have much value to them.

This refers to the Big12 now having a "grant of rights for 15 years". I am not sure on the years. According to a contract like this the Big12 would still retain the rights to all Kansas home games, and Kansas b-ball has value. So the Big12 having the rights to B1G games would be complicated.

To my knowledge no one has tried to leave a conference after signing a "grant of rights". I believe the legal battle would be much more difficult than arguing about an exit fee, where a precident has been set.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just an idiot who has tried to inform himself.

Newest rumor: B1G adding John Hopkins Univestity, one of the top academic institutions who also would get the B1G to 6 lacrosse teams, enough to have their own conference and more live programing for the BTN.

This refers to the Big12 now having a "grant of rights for 15 years". I am not sure on the years. According to a contract like this the Big12 would still retain the rights to all Kansas home games, and Kansas b-ball has value. So the Big12 having the rights to B1G games would be complicated.

To my knowledge no one has tried to leave a conference after signing a "grant of rights". I believe the legal battle would be much more difficult than arguing about an exit fee, where a precident has been set.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, just an idiot who has tried to inform himself.

Newest rumor: B1G adding John Hopkins Univestity, one of the top academic institutions who also would get the B1G to 6 lacrosse teams, enough to have their own conference and more live programing for the BTN.

I'm not a lawyer either but I occasionally stay at Red Roof Inn. IMO the Big12 would just get paid the cash value of the tv rights but they would not actually air the games themselves. In that sense it is just another type of exit fee.

What... the..... F&(#.......

Funny, that would be a huge jump for a football program to make D3 to D1. They did finish the year ranked #12 in D3.

Funny, that would be a huge jump for a football program to make D3 to D1. They did finish the year ranked #12 in D3.

University of Chicago has only D3 programs.

University of Chicago has only D3 programs.

Chicago has no athletic ties to the B1G and I am guess that John Hopkins Univestity would be a joke.

You mean watching the ESPN whitewashing of 'Bama's PED use isn't entertaining?

---

And the funny thing is that multiple conferences use GORs with their teams. Any chance that a GOR makes it to court to be scuttled will be headed off by all of the other conferences just telling that conference to just 'let it go', lest their GORs be inadvertently undone.

That, and the mere chance of any of this going to court and having everything exposed via discovery keeps teams like Notre Dame and Texass at bay. All Kansas would have to do is threaten going to court (and back those actions up), and the Big XII will capitulate--either via Texass' cowardice or the other conferences saying WTF to the Big XII.

You do realize this *would* help DoNU academically, right?

The best thing about the B1G move is the CIC, hands down. This, more than any athletic success in the B1G, will pay dividends for decades to come and will elevate Nebraska academics significantly.