B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

I just can't see splitting from the NCAA as a smart idea. Yes its taking some knocks right now but it needs to be in control, the issue is just getting the right people in control within the organization. I've heard manpower is an issue that the NCAA has dealt with.

And remember this is all based on TV revenue. What happens when people axe cable & satellite and opt for a zero-TV home?

Isnt society heading in a completely opposite direction from this? Or are you seriously suggesting an alternative?

Television as we know it is going to go the way of Blockbuster, VHS and the Radio. It's only a matter of time, and the change will only gain momentum.

“Zero TV” Households Now At 5 Million, Says Nielsen, Up From 3 Million In 2007

Nielsen today released new data that examines trends in the “Zero TV household” – a definition which refers to those who no longer watch traditional television offered by cable or satellite providers, but who tend to stream video online, via computers, smartphones or tablets. According to the firm’s findings, there are now more than 5 million cord cutters in the U.S. this year, up from 3 million in 2007.

The on-demand services we have available today like Netflix and Hulu can’t yet compete with the lineup of content from traditional TV, which is partly why it still has a foothold. But that’s also why companies are beginning to work around the problem by funding their own original programming. If one day, these alternatives to traditional TV can offer a lineup of content that’s worth watching, it may be easier to drop the cable subscription entirely. That day is still off in some hazy potential future, however. Regular TV is still king for now.

But the trends among the cord-cutting group are interesting in that they could perhaps indicate the direction the market is at least slowly headed. Though most are not dropping traditional TV, the way we’re interacting with television content is changing. We’ve not only introduced more devices into the mix, we’re consuming content in new ways, as well.

• Fire 1

The only reason I would have cable or dish service is because of sports programming. Right now, there are very few resources to watch sports online and view a quality product. HDTV sports viewing is the only way to go at the moment, and there is a long road to travel to transfer it to the internet.

• Fire 1

And remember this is all based on TV revenue. What happens when people axe cable & satellite and opt for a zero-TV home?

Isnt society heading in a completely opposite direction from this? Or are you seriously suggesting an alternative?

Television as we know it is going to go the way of Blockbuster, VHS and the Radio. It's only a matter of time, and the change will only gain momentum.

“Zero TV” Households Now At 5 Million, Says Nielsen, Up From 3 Million In 2007

Nielsen today released new data that examines trends in the “Zero TV household” – a definition which refers to those who no longer watch traditional television offered by cable or satellite providers, but who tend to stream video online, via computers, smartphones or tablets. According to the firm’s findings, there are now more than 5 million cord cutters in the U.S. this year, up from 3 million in 2007.

The on-demand services we have available today like Netflix and Hulu can’t yet compete with the lineup of content from traditional TV, which is partly why it still has a foothold. But that’s also why companies are beginning to work around the problem by funding their own original programming. If one day, these alternatives to traditional TV can offer a lineup of content that’s worth watching, it may be easier to drop the cable subscription entirely. That day is still off in some hazy potential future, however. Regular TV is still king for now.

But the trends among the cord-cutting group are interesting in that they could perhaps indicate the direction the market is at least slowly headed. Though most are not dropping traditional TV, the way we’re interacting with television content is changing. We’ve not only introduced more devices into the mix, we’re consuming content in new ways, as well.

I absolutely agree that the way we watch tv is in for a radical change, but don't for a second think this will affect live productions in a negative way. I think we can all see that internet/cable/tv is eventually going to be a single entity. Who will be left standing remains to be seen. Will Time Warner buy Netflix? Will Netflix buy Time Warner? All of that is ways down the road, but there will still be a high demand for live broadcast of news and sports. Let's say for example, Netflix survives, who says that along with the on demand choices that they won't start offering CNN/FOX News/MSNBC, etc and ESPN/Fox Sports/NFL or the Big 10 Network? If anything I see the future changes as a positive for networks like the Big 10. It makes it that much easier to become a national brand and not regional. This is also why is vitally important to be in one of the mega conferences left with their own network.

With the news that came out today, I would be scared to death to be the Big 12 right now as it looks like the ACC is hammering down that fourth and final position to be a super conference.

This whole "TV is changing" scenario is great for people who like CSI, Boardwalk Empire, etc. Doesn't do that much for Sports.

As far as I'm concerned not much has changed. The Big Ten and SEC will NOT stay at 14. it is not a good number. GoRs don't mean much if people really want out. KU is tied to a GoR and has been tied to Big Ten expansion.

I suspect schedules will still be unbalanced a bit, since the B1G will want Big Red to play Mich, Ohio and PSU as much as possible for a couple years. We will be at 16 and the pod system by 2017, anyway.

Cincinnati and BYU haven't signed a GOR yet chuckleshuffle

Ha. I posted that before the GOR.

Time will tell if the GOR means anything.

Oh, and you forgot that ND and Missouri are stil out there as a last resort if it does. :hmmph

This whole "TV is changing" scenario is great for people who like CSI, Boardwalk Empire, etc. Doesn't do that much for Sports.

As far as I'm concerned not much has changed. The Big Ten and SEC will NOT stay at 14. it is not a good number. GoRs don't mean much if people really want out. KU is tied to a GoR and has been tied to Big Ten expansion.

I agree that 14 stinks. I would rather be 12 or 16.

I suspect schedules will still be unbalanced a bit, since the B1G will want Big Red to play Mich, Ohio and PSU as much as possible for a couple years. We will be at 16 and the pod system by 2017, anyway.

Oh, and you forgot that ND and Missouri are stil out there as a last resort if it does. :hmmph

for better or for worse, we signed the GOR as well. In fact the ACC now is listing us as one of its members :huh:

On subscriptionless tv, it will chip away at television bundling. It won't be enough for a channel to be available, people will have to want to pay for its market value.

Now that I think about it, ACC can kill the Big 12 off by going after West Virginia. ACC at 16. That would be down to 9 for the Big 12. BIG takes Kansas and Mizzou, they have 16, Big 12 down to 7. Then it's up to Texas and OU to decide if they want to go to the Pac 12 or SEC. They go to the SEC and they have 15, take Okie State for 16 with the Pac 12 figuring out what they want to do orrrrrr Texas and OU go to the Pac 12 making it 14 (maybe grab Boise and Nevada for 16) and the SEC finishes 16 off by taking Okie State, Kstate and whatever scrap is left from the Big 12(Baylor, TTech, ISU, TCU).

In the end, Big 12 is dead. Maybe Nebraska would have ended up in the BIG anyway if this scenario unfolds, but it's nice to already be there and not have to worry.

I would be hating life right now if I were a West Virginia fan. Seeing all your neighbors strengthening and expanding the conference you should be in while you are in a travel nightmare of a conference. Horay for that closest game in Ames.

But, but . . . the great and powerful Texas will look out for WV's interests

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Ha Ha

for better or for worse, we signed the GOR as well. In fact the ACC now is listing us as one of its members :huh:

Really?! I had not heard that yet. How does that work with your new NBC contract?

Now that I think about it, ACC can kill the Big 12 off by going after West Virginia. ACC at 16. That would be down to 9 for the Big 12. BIG takes Kansas and Mizzou, they have 16, Big 12 down to 7. Then it's up to Texas and OU to decide if they want to go to the Pac 12 or SEC. They go to the SEC and they have 15, take Okie State for 16 with the Pac 12 figuring out what they want to do orrrrrr Texas and OU go to the Pac 12 making it 14 (maybe grab Boise and Nevada for 16) and the SEC finishes 16 off by taking Okie State, Kstate and whatever scrap is left from the Big 12(Baylor, TTech, ISU, TCU).

In the end, Big 12 is dead. Maybe Nebraska would have ended up in the BIG anyway if this scenario unfolds, but it's nice to already be there and not have to worry.

Sounds like ND is number 15 (sort of), so they just need to pick up UConn and the ACC is done.

It would be a shame if the SEC suddenly HAD to take another team if the Big Ten decided to take some low hanging SEC fruit.

The SEC would be left with two choices. WVU (making the Big XII DOA) or the SEC goes for one of those Carolina/Virginia schools. probably NCST or VaTech(making the ACC even more unstable)

The Big Ten has 2-7 more moves in the massive chess game. Could still end up with the ultimate prize.

It would be a shame if the SEC suddenly HAD to take another team if the Big Ten decided to take some low hanging SEC fruit.

The SEC would be left with two choices. WVU (making the Big XII DOA) or the SEC goes for one of those Carolina/Virginia schools. probably NCST or VaTech(making the ACC even more unstable)

The Big Ten has 2-7 more moves in the massive chess game. Could still end up with the ultimate prize.

Texas? Or FSU? FSU is my personal endgame but I see how Texas would be many others. Idc for ND anymore with their once a quarter century team fielding selves...