B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

It would be a shame if the SEC suddenly HAD to take another team if the Big Ten decided to take some low hanging SEC fruit.

The SEC would be left with two choices. WVU (making the Big XII DOA) or the SEC goes for one of those Carolina/Virginia schools. probably NCST or VaTech(making the ACC even more unstable)

The Big Ten has 2-7 more moves in the massive chess game. Could still end up with the ultimate prize.

Texas? Or FSU? FSU is my personal endgame but I see how Texas would be many others. Idc for ND anymore with their once a quarter century team fielding selves...

I'll take FSU but UT would definitely be my ultimate prize. If they play by the Big ten rules then there really is no downside.

I would say ND is worthless to the Big Ten's goal of competition but great for their goal for making money. I'd rather take UT or FSU where we get much better competition and decent to great money. I don't care about money, we got plenty. We need to get better on the field now.

I suspect schedules will still be unbalanced a bit, since the B1G will want Big Red to play Mich, Ohio and PSU as much as possible for a couple years. We will be at 16 and the pod system by 2017, anyway.

Cincinnati and BYU haven't signed a GOR yet chuckleshuffle

Ha. I posted that before the GOR.

Time will tell if the GOR means anything.

Oh, and you forgot that ND and Missouri are stil out there as a last resort if it does. :hmmph

for better or for worse, we signed the GOR as well. In fact the ACC now is listing us as one of its members :huh:

Really?! I had not heard that yet. How does that work with your new NBC contract?

Lol, it was really smooth of ND to stragegically announce the NBC renewal before today's news. I can imagine the hysterics in NdNation if we signed an ACC GOR with no word from home. I'm almost disappointed I don't get to do the soap opera, almost.

I don't really know because the terms haven't been released yet, we don't even know the NBC payout. NBC probably retains the rights to ND home games vs the ACC opponents while they get our away games; simply because it would have been big news if they weren't doing it the normal way.

Texas would probably buy the MAC conference before they would play 3rd fiddle to uM/anOSU

Okay, Okay. I figured it out now. B1G moves to 20 teams by taking Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State. SEC or PAC 12 takes Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, West Virginia.

B1G moves to (4) 5-team pods listed as such:

South: Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas State

West: Nebraska, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State

East: Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern, Ohio State

North: Penn State, Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, Maryland

You play all in your division and all in another division to get the 9 game conference schedule. Rotating every year so you play every team every 3 years instead of home and homes for 2 years where it would be 6 years in between. 2 best records play for the conference championship based on record, head to head, similar opponents, etc....

All of the "Big Games" are protected for the most part.

Okay, Okay. I figured it out now. B1G moves to 20 teams by taking Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St, Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa State. SEC or PAC 12 takes Baylor, Texas Tech, TCU, West Virginia.

You play all in your division and all in another division to get the 9 game conference schedule. Rotating every year so you play every team every 3 years instead of home and homes for 2 years where it would be 6 years in between. 2 best records play for the conference championship based on record, head to head, similar opponents, etc....

That wouldn't be bad. My only question would be, how do you figure out who goes to the CCG?

That wouldn't be bad. My only question would be, how do you figure out who goes to the CCG?

I am sure there is some math genius that can figure out tie-breakers

Ha probably. My only thought would be this: If the format goes like you explained, you would basically have 2 10-team divisions each year that play round robin, but the teams in those divisions would rotate each year. So you could just take the best records out of each "division" which is made up of 2 of the pods and put them up against each other for the CCG.

Ha probably. My only thought would be this: If the format goes like you explained, you would basically have 2 10-team divisions each year that play round robin, but the teams in those divisions would rotate each year. So you could just take the best records out of each "division" which is made up of 2 of the pods and put them up against each other for the CCG.

This would be about the only option you would have unless they could find a way to have the best of each pod play a semi-final game to determine who goes to the CCG. Those games could also rotate to make it so each team that wins a pod plays a different pod for the semi game each year.

See, I told you there would be a genius to figure out my madness.

This would be about the only option you would have unless they could find a way to have the best of each pod play a semi-final game to determine who goes to the CCG. Those games could also rotate to make it so each team that wins a pod plays a different pod for the semi game each year.

I think that would be too many games played if there was a semi-final first since there will now be semi-finals for the National Championship

Someone brought up an interesting theory. This GoR doesn't go into effect until next year I heard( don't know for sure).

It could be a way for FSU to force the Big Ten's hand into taking them now.

I've heard it goes into effect after Maryland and the ACC settle their case...and considering both sides had an agreement in principal recently...

...oh, and yes, it's also out there that the ACC could have settled a lot sooner, but since they saw their court battle with Maryland was keeping expansion forces at bay, they strung it out so they could hammer out the GOR to try and lock stuff down. If true...this could mean that Delaney got played, big time.

Also, don't forget that Virginia has all but "formally" applied for B1G membership. Would be interesting to see if that still happens before the GOR goes into effect, or if they stay where they're at.

According to the press release the GoR was effective immediately - the WV types are claiming that they have until July but I won't believe it until I see it.

As for future expansion, this in a way helps the Big Ten - the signs that the leadership was giving was that they wanted to put the brakes on expansion for a few years to digest Maryland and Rutgers while seeing if they can shake away some of the bigger schools...by the ACC signing the GoR, everyone gets about a decade of stability until it becomes time to renew...and both the Big XII and ACC GoRs expire within a year or so of each other.

BTW Woody, I thought you said that UVA to the Big Ten was a done deal? ;)

According to the press release the GoR was effective immediately - the WV types are claiming that they have until July but I won't believe it until I see it.

As for future expansion, this in a way helps the Big Ten - the signs that the leadership was giving was that they wanted to put the brakes on expansion for a few years to digest Maryland and Rutgers while seeing if they can shake away some of the bigger schools...by the ACC signing the GoR, everyone gets about a decade of stability until it becomes time to renew...and both the Big XII and ACC GoRs expire within a year or so of each other.

BTW Woody, I thought you said that UVA to the Big Ten was a done deal? ;)

These things change all the time :P

UVA did submit paperwork for getting into the Big Ten. Let us see what happens here before we call that one a fail.

Someone brought up an interesting theory. This GoR doesn't go into effect until next year I heard( don't know for sure).

It could be a way for FSU to force the Big Ten's hand into taking them now.

I've heard it goes into effect after Maryland and the ACC settle their case...and considering both sides had an agreement in principal recently...

...oh, and yes, it's also out there that the ACC could have settled a lot sooner, but since they saw their court battle with Maryland was keeping expansion forces at bay, they strung it out so they could hammer out the GOR to try and lock stuff down. If true...this could mean that Delaney got played, big time.

Also, don't forget that Virginia has all but "formally" applied for B1G membership. Would be interesting to see if that still happens before the GOR goes into effect, or if they stay where they're at.

In addition everything I have read says that all ACC members are on board to keep the conference together. Of course it can all be positioning but what I read specifically pointed out the this agreement included FSU so forcing the the B1G's hand to join now may not be in the works. Just what I saw.