B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

Kansas isn't available because the Big XII has a GOR. Again, SEC beaks GOR, and it's the Wild West for everyone in expansion--if no one breaks the GOR, then we're locked into the current conferences for a while.

if you are going to take a program without football you might as well take the other school in kansas that doesnt have a GOR. :lol:

Poke fun all you want, but remember that the Kansas football program has been to a BCS bowl more recently than we have. :lame And their basketball program is one of the best in the nation overall.

Hindsight being 20/20...I suppose it's a good thing Kansas didn't jump to the Big East back in 2009 when the Big XII was imploding, eh?

Kansas isn't available because the Big XII has a GOR. Again, SEC beaks GOR, and it's the Wild West for everyone in expansion--if no one breaks the GOR, then we're locked into the current conferences for a while.

if you are going to take a program without football you might as well take the other school in kansas that doesnt have a GOR. :lol:

Poke fun all you want, but remember that the Kansas football program has been to a BCS bowl more recently than we have. :lame And their basketball program is one of the best in the nation overall.

Hindsight being 20/20...I suppose it's a good thing Kansas didn't jump to the Big East back in 2009 when the Big XII was imploding, eh?

erm that comment was made from the viewpoint of a wichita st shocker fan. now do i have to explain to you that WSU doesnt have a football team? sorry for interjecting a little humor into the thread. i'll let the serious folk get back to their serious discussion.

I know you guys were worried about competative balance. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that NU would be playing OSU, UofM and PSU as much as possible.

Here is a quote from Delany.

"In the first 18 years, you're going to see a lot of competition between teams at the top of either division," Delany said. "We call that a bit of parity-based scheduling, so you'll see Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa playing a lot of competition against Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan. But it will rotate. Early on, we feel this gives the fans what they want."

Not sure where the 18 year comment came from....but I thought it was odd that he threw that in. That and NW should now have a chip on their shoulder. MSU already does....that one never goes away. chuckleshuffle

That is why Johns Hopkins Univ has been mentioned. Univ. of Chicago is part of the CIC but hasnt particiapted in sports since the 1940s, I think it was an original member of trhe Western Conference/ Big 9/Big 10. Since the Big 10 is trying to get some LaCrosse programs going plus the addition of Maryland and Rutgers, JH would participate there and bring in research $$. Doubt this will ever happen either.

I have feeling Delany is pretty dissappointed, and I would not be surprised if Maryland backed out. I suspect 2 more ACC schools were supposed to be on board and it wont happen now, at least for awhile. Has the SEC negotiated a new contract yet? I think the only thing that gets this going again will be Big Ten revenue numbers in 2017 and teh expiration of the Big12 GOR. That was only for 6 years right? And didnt include Long Horn netowrk $$.

Hey ND Joe, I remember awhile back (after NU joined) that Swarbrick and Delany mentioned they had talked about hockey, but not ND joning the Big Ten. Was ND trying to join the Big Ten hockey conference?

That very well could be it. Savvy Jack is always "monitoring the landscape" meaning he worked the coffee hour circuit trying to figure out where our teams would play in many scenarios. I think fans were caught off guard by the breakup of the CCHA. The Ice Irish fans are also disappointed with the team and none too pleased with how the tournament is structured now. Toledo Ohio is it?

I know you guys were worried about competative balance. I think I mentioned in an earlier post that NU would be playing OSU, UofM and PSU as much as possible.

Here is a quote from Delany.

"In the first 18 years, you're going to see a lot of competition between teams at the top of either division," Delany said. "We call that a bit of parity-based scheduling, so you'll see Wisconsin, Nebraska and Iowa playing a lot of competition against Penn State, Ohio State and Michigan. But it will rotate. Early on, we feel this gives the fans what they want."

Not sure where the 18 year comment came from....but I thought it was odd that he threw that in. That and NW should now have a chip on their shoulder. MSU already does....that one never goes away. chuckleshuffle

Probably that'll be the length of a full rotation of the schedule. In an even scheduling scheme and assuming a home/home + 2 one off games every year you'll have a full rotation every 14 years (although everyone will play each other at least once every 4 years) - that they plan on matching the top teams in each division more often will mean that it'll take a bit longer to do a home/home with every team. For Nebraska that should be a great news since that means that you'll be playing Michigan, Penn State and Ohio State a lot more often than Rutgers/Maryland.

erm that comment was made from the viewpoint of a wichita st shocker fan. now do i have to explain to you that WSU doesnt have a football team? sorry for interjecting a little humor into the thread. i'll let the serious folk get back to their serious discussion.

No, I got it and assumed that angle, and it would have been funny if it weren't for that unpleasant fact about Kansas and the BCS. :) Until Nebraska gets back to a BCS bowl, we honestly don't have much room to joke on that topic. :( And the 'Lame' wasn't for you...it was for having to state that fact.

Why we haven't sniffed a BCS bowl...well, that's another discussion for another thread...

So it appears the B1G is stuck at 14. Just wondering if the following factors make the B1G and Texas come closer to marriage. 1. A&M's success in the SEC and overshadowing UT. 2. A&M's new 102,000 seat stadium 3. Possibly better recruiting by A&M in the state of Texas b/c of SEC and success 4. B12's lack of marquee programs 5. LHN issues 6. Texas' mediocrity the last few years

So it appears the B1G is stuck at 14. Just wondering if the following factors make the B1G and Texas come closer to marriage. 1. A&M's success in the SEC and overshadowing UT. 2. A&M's new 102,000 seat stadium 3. Possibly better recruiting by A&M in the state of Texas b/c of SEC and success 4. B12's lack of marquee programs 5. LHN issues 6. Texas' mediocrity the last few years

Regarding the bolded, I almost guarantee that we hear in the next year about expansion plans for Texas' stadium just to stay on top. Just like when we put in our giant screen, like a year later Texas had to go one-up it and put in an even bigger one.

If it's just OU I wouldn't say never if that pulled in Texas. I doubt the 2 would be willing to jump ship without taking a chunk of their fiefdom with them though.

agree. I think it highly more likely for the Whorns to take OU, OSU and TTech to the West Coast, abandoning the rest of the conf to be divided by the B1G, SEC, Mt West, Conf USA and America 16.

Edit: plus the MAC for ISU