B1G Expansion and more Conference Realignment

VectorVictor

I think you will stay at 14. But if two more random UCONN-like schools are added to get to 16, we will know that it was Fox television calling the shots all along.

That, or Delaney has some really uncontrollable OCD and closure issues.

• 4 weeks later...

Seems that the Gordon Gee controversy at least gave us a glimpse into what the B1G may have been thinking with regards to expansion (per Sports Illustrated):

"9:14: “I think the Big Ten needs to be predatory and positive rather than waiting for other people to take away from them. Very candidly, I think we made a mistake. Because thought about adding Missouri and Kansas at the time. There was not a great deal of enthusiasm about that. I think we should have done that at the time. So we would have had Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and then moved into that other area. I think, by the way, that that can still happen.”

Yes, expansion is all but dead in the ACC territories. But Missouri and Kansas are still viable possibilities; the former at any given time (unless the SEC institutes an agreement and exit fees), and the later when/if Texass pulls the trigger to go west.

Just food for thought. May not be the exiting move into North Carolina and Georgia like people were wanting, but I would think we could get behind an expansion to 16 that brought these two Ws back to us every year. :)

Seems that the Gordon Gee controversy at least gave us a glimpse into what the B1G may have been thinking with regards to expansion (per Sports Illustrated):

"9:14: “I think the Big Ten needs to be predatory and positive rather than waiting for other people to take away from them. Very candidly, I think we made a mistake. Because thought about adding Missouri and Kansas at the time. There was not a great deal of enthusiasm about that. I think we should have done that at the time. So we would have had Nebraska, Missouri, Kansas and then moved into that other area. I think, by the way, that that can still happen.”

Yes, expansion is all but dead in the ACC territories. But Missouri and Kansas are still viable possibilities; the former at any given time (unless the SEC institutes an agreement and exit fees), and the later when/if Texass pulls the trigger to go west.

Just food for thought. May not be the exiting move into North Carolina and Georgia like people were wanting, but I would think we could get behind an expansion to 16 that brought these two Ws back to us every year. :)

I don't know what to think about anything Gordon Gee says, but he is interesting. I'm pretty sure this is the first time anything has been mentioned about Kansas from anyone who is anyone. I remember the initial rumor being NU, Missourri, Rutgers, Syracuse, and Pitt. Man, that seems like a decade ago.

I think at the time there was a rift in the Big Ten on its long term strategy if it should stay a Midwest conference or a 'Northern conference' that stretched beyond the Midwest.

The collapse of the Big East was the impetuous to take the latter approach.

That said, I think more schools from the Big 12 footprint can be added in the future but I think it'll be balanced out with Eastern additions as well (Kansas + UConn, Mizzou + UVA, etc.)

It may not be in the next 6 months or year but if anyone thinks that realignment is over and locked up for the long run is a fool. This isn't a blogger saying all these things, it's the freaking president of one of the leading universities of the BIG. My guess is it's gets very interesting when the BIG's new TV contracts come up.

Glad the big ten finally jumped on the partial membership bandwagon.

Partial membership for Lacrosse is not the same as football. It is a non revenue sport and this has nothing to do with sports dollars. I doubt their football team is going to jump from D3 to D1. This is nothing like ND and their deals with the Big East in the past and the ACC in the future.

As for the research money, I think Johns Hopkins spends the most of any university in the US, at least that has been the case in the past.