Finishing Strong - the last three games

knapplc

Penn State could beat us because of that defense.

Iowa cannot beat us.

Minnesota cannot beat us.

Neither team is worth half a crap. We should roll both, quite easily.

However, to the point, Nebraska could beat Nebraska while playing Iowa. Nebraska could beat Nebraska while playing Minnesota. That's more than fair to say. But as far as either having the weapons to beat us, if we're playing like we did against Northwestern, Michigan or Sparty - no. Not going to happen.

I posted this in another thread, but it definitely goes here very well.

I get as upset as the next guy when Taylor commits a turnover. What's different this year, especially in the last few weeks, is I no longer HOPE he shakes it off, I KNOW he will!

I no longer HOPE when we get behind, our defense stiffens up and keeps us in the game. I KNOW they will.

I no longer HOPE we can come back in the last part of the game. I KNOW we can!

These kids have it instilled in them, that they are never out of a game, that they can win any game.

Other teams take notice, we won't quit!

I think we will finish pretty strong.

Penn State: I'm thinking we put the ball on the carpet 4 times, lose two of them. Just two interceptions, but only one goes for a TD. I think we will have two shank punts and one missed FG. We still win by 6 points.

Iowa: I have us losing this one. We fumble 6 times, losing 5 and TM has 3 interceptions. We have a missed extra point and one FG is blocked. We lose by 3 points.

Minnesota: Only two fumbles ... we lose both of them. Only two interceptions, neither are TM's fault. Penalties and stupid mistakes stop 8 of our 10 drives but we manage 2 TD's and 4 FG's ... we miss 3 of them. We give up one safety. We pull out a 17-12 win.

Penn State: I'm thinking we put the ball on the carpet 4 times, lose two of them. Just two interceptions, but only one goes for a TD. I think we will have two shank punts and one missed FG. We still win by 6 points.

Iowa: I have us losing this one. We fumble 6 times, losing 5 and TM has 3 interceptions. We have a missed extra point and one FG is blocked. We lose by 3 points.

MInnesota: Only two fumbles ... we lose both of them. Only two interceptions, neither are TM's fault. Penalties and stupid mistakes stop 8 of our 10 drives but we manage 2 TD's and 4 FG's ... we miss 3 of them. We give up one safety. We pull out a 17-12 win.

:hmmph

Minnesota: Only two fumbles ... we lose both of them. Only two interceptions, neither are TM's fault. Penalties and stupid mistakes stop 8 of our 10 drives but we manage 2 TD's and 4 FG's ... we miss 3 of them. We give up one safety. We pull out a 17-12 win.

There is no way we'll beat Penn State and Minnesota and lose to Iowa.....................Iowa and Minnesota are in a battle for the worst team in the Leaders division with Iowa in the lead right now regardless of records. I could see us losing to Penn State and winning our last two, but not us losing to Iowa...............they're terrible!

There is no way we'll beat Penn State and Minnesota and lose to Iowa.....................Iowa and Minnesota are in a battle for the worst team in the Leaders division with Iowa in the lead right now regardless of records. I could see us losing to Penn State and winning our last two, but not us losing to Iowa...............they're terrible!

I was more nervous about the number of fumbles and INTs listed.

I was more nervous about the number of fumbles and INTs listed.

I just completely ignored that part on purpose because it's unrealistic IMO.

Martinez has 8 interceptions through 9 games, and you expect him to throw 7 in his last 3? Against two of the worst defenses in the B1G?

You have lost your mind, sir.

• Fire 1

Martinez has 8 interceptions through 9 games, and you expect him to throw 7 in his last 3? Against two of the worst defenses in the B1G?

You have lost your mind, sir.

SheepDog has lost faith. I have to admit, I found other distractions during the coach C years. Not everyone is strong enough to be a fan this year. Sometimes you have to look hard to see the positives but they are there. One thing I learned watching the team during the TO years is that you can be staring at greatness and not even realize it. After so many disappointing bowl losses, it wasn't until the blowout of FL before I actually thought we were a very good team. I wouldn't be surprised if this year is laying the groundwork for something special next year.

While I am very pleased with Nebraska's last several wins, I am haunted by the fact that Nebraska's players are never mentally and emotionally ready to play a football game, especially on the road. Penalties, turnovers, bad special teams...these are all symptoms of a team with a lack of focus, discipline and mental toughness. This is something that cannot be "turned on" at will, it has to be developed in the spring, throughout the summer and in fall camp.

Nebraska's players simply never got the focus, never felt the hunger, never had the determination to dominate. They have consistently had more talent than the teams that they have played, and that is what has gotten them to this point. Ohio State was the exception...Ohio State has a similar level of athletic talent, and Nebraska's lack of focus, discipline and mental toughness caused them to be blown out. It is a real shame...if this team had the same focus as Kansas State or Northwestern, they would be unbeaten and unchallanged. I know that there will be some that point to the come from behind wins as a measure of mental toughness, but that is really more of a matter of superior athletic talent in those games (as well as more than a little luck).

Hopefully, Nebraska's underclassmen will learn from this season and will really set their minds to 2013. They could be dominant. If they approach the season the same way they have 2011 and 2012, they will be anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2 depending upon the bounce of the ball.

While I am very pleased with Nebraska's last several wins, I am haunted by the fact that Nebraska's players are never mentally and emotionally ready to play a football game, especially on the road. Penalties, turnovers, bad special teams...these are all symptoms of a team with a lack of focus, discipline and mental toughness. This is something that cannot be "turned on" at will, it has to be developed in the spring, throughout the summer and in fall camp.

Nebraska's players simply never got the focus, never felt the hunger, never had the determination to dominate. They have consistently had more talent than the teams that they have played, and that is what has gotten them to this point. Ohio State was the exception...Ohio State has a similar level of athletic talent, and Nebraska's lack of focus, discipline and mental toughness caused them to be blown out. It is a real shame...if this team had the same focus as Kansas State or Northwestern, they would be unbeaten and unchallanged. I know that there will be some that point to the come from behind wins as a measure of mental toughness, but that is really more of a matter of superior athletic talent in those games (as well as more than a little luck).

Hopefully, Nebraska's underclassmen will learn from this season and will really set their minds to 2013. They could be dominant. If they approach the season the same way they have 2011 and 2012, they will be anywhere from 5-7 to 10-2 depending upon the bounce of the ball.

We are 7-2. We have 3 comeback victories this year. We are in the drivers seat for the B1G CCG.

This team is fine.

Our team was 2 consecutive dropped INTs away from losing to Northwestern and could have easily dropped the MSU game given we were down to a 4th and 10 with a minute left. If those 2 happened, this board would be in meltdown mode and calling for Bo's head. It's just amazing to me how some fans can go from such lows to such highs based on a couple games. Sure we're 7-2, but we could easily be 5-4. I'm not overly confident about the PSU game or the others. Because that's what this team is right now. A ton of potential and a ton of mistakes. Hopefully we win out, make it to the Rose Bowl an carry that momentum into next year.

This team doesn't quit anymore when things go badly. The next step is to eliminate the breakdowns, penalties and Turnovers and we'll be competing for conference titles every year. I'm sticking with my cautious optimism approach from now on so I don't break my TV.

And we were Shevin Wiggin's foot away from having "just another year" in 1997. Is there some point to all of this what-if stuff?

We were 00:01 away from a Big XII title in Bo's second year. That and $2 gets us a cup of coffee.

Football is a game of bounces and breaks. Ameer fumbles the ball, Taylor picks it up and runs for a first down. That ball doesn't bounce in just the right way, we don't win the Wisconsin game, probably. But it did, we did, and the psychos calling for Bo's head wouldn't be any more right than they are today.

Let's not worry about what might have been. Let's just enjoy the fact that we're 7-2, however we got here, and we've got a chance at the conference title.

Bo - leading us onward to victory.

boonwardtovictory.jpg

• Fire 4

I'm constantly amazed at how ridiculous some Husker fans are. We're 3-1 in games decided by a TD or less. We've had 3 of the greatest comebacks of ALL TIME this season alone!! This is the most exciting season I've watched in over a decade.

You can keep complaining about the team we don't have. Or you can enjoy the one we've got. And it's an exciting one that's on pace to win our first conference title in 13 years.

I think we have a good chance of winning out. But I do agree with Robsker, we have no reason to feel it is in concrete. We won three games that a lot of people would consider luck. Will we continue with the luck to comeback or will it fold. No one knows.

They need to win a game. Go out and beat Penn States ass. Then they will have confidence, right now I am not sure they have confidence, but have the feeling they can come back.

Either way, they are playing their guts out and that normally makes things better.

I am impressed with the wins, not so much how they happened. But wins are wins and this program needed them badly. I am impressed

But if the ball had bounced the other way in three very close games, Bo's head would be on the line and he would have very little support. He is a favorite here no question. He is not in many places and some really want to see him gone. I am not sure he did a great job in these wins, but it is obvious that the kids are playing for him. I honestly did not expect that this year. I can see things changing, especially if we win out. Unfortunately for some the wins are the only thing that matter. Wins are nice and we all want them, but seeing the kids giving their all for Bo the last three weeks, gives me hope he is the right man.