How satisfied are you with the results of the election?

You opinion  

55 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I came out of self imposed retirement...Pipeline would sprout huge amount of jobs Nationwide- Norfolk was forecasted to bring 100's of people (family etc..) in it to help maintain and work on it.

Couple thousand temporary jobs during construction. After construction? Maybe a few dozen nationwide.

Since it is in Canada and they are up there and we are down here, the oil just runs down hill.

You must be trolling.

Seriously, I am unaware that it was being built over large bodies of water. Here is the map

All you had to do was add a couple words!

The secret is we need to get away from corn. Corn is sexy to politicians that wish to give out subsidies, but it does not make sense to use a human consumable food product (importance of corn in our food chain- feed- syrup etc). Plus it can take up to 118 gallons of water to produce a gallon of gas. Not to mention pesticides farmers fuels etc... highly uneconomical. Now the best two are switch grass and hemp. We can no longer transport the tonnage needed on grass (the first one) because we have turned a lot of train tracks into bike trails. It takes lots of grass to make fuel but it can be done. The second is hemp- now that one is not sexy at all, because you could grow enough hemp (one acre equals 10 tons of bio mass fuel) in a city block to power 30 cars for 4 months. Pretty efficient isn't it. But the government would not be bale to tax it very well if u grown ur own (refer back to my orgasm on how people get pot legalize the government can tax it etc,,, right- people will grown their own). Plus the $10 billion given out to farmers for corn would cease and the people selling pesticides, fertilizers, and fuel to run water pumps would have a large economic impact. Good news for us is beef price milk price taxes all go down and we ship corn abroad.

I agree that corn based ethanol is not a good fuel option.

Sorry to be so long winded, but solar and wind are not net gains as nuclear and other resources we currently have. We are slaves to oil, and we will not use our own for some time.

We do need nuclear power.

Carl- funny stuff about Rand. I would have great conflict reading the two. She was an all out atheist but the bible and Atlas co exist nicely. teach many of the same things

The EC- what if i campaign in the 8 most populist states (which is about 4 times the population of the rest 42 not 49 if u believe in 57 states :) and tell those 8 that if you vote for me, you 8 states would never have to pay income taxes or anything. Those other 42 would. I would have my mandate of 4 times the vote, and it could become law. That is the brilliance of our founders is to control someone drunk with power vs drunk and a keyboard after a Husker loss. I still think awarding them according to legislative district would give our vote more weight and candidates would have to work at getting All of CA, PA, OH, NY etc.. to buy into them.

My wife's uncle has worked on several pipelines throughout Nebraska. The idea that Keystone will create "thousands of jobs across the country" is hogwash. It will create, temporarily, a few hundred jobs per state while the pipeline is being constructed. Once it passes the state's borders those jobs go away. You do not need thousands of workers to build a pipeline, and it doesn't take years and years to build it. And about 1/3 of the pipeline will be built in Canada, so those jobs that TransCanada keeps harping about won't all be created here in the States.

TransCanada is also fudging the jobs numbers by including non-building "jobs" into their figures. They include things like hotel jobs and restaurant jobs - people that will be needed to meet the needs of the pipeline workers. But we're not creating new hotels or restaurants to build this pipeline, we'll just use already-existing jobs in already-existing hotels and restaurants. A lot of these numbers are best-case-scenarios. You can find an equal number of worst-case-scenario forecasts out there as well. It all depends on who/what you want to believe.

Z rod- I am going to ignore your comment because again, you think the federal government hires the local teacher. Governemnt may provide (and has) a grant to hire 1000 cops, but those expire and then the municipalites have to pay for them the next years and beyond. That's why when WJF tried it - it failed.

So I'll take it that's not what he envisions, in your opinion. And no I don't think the federal government hires teachers, I'm well aware of how that works.

The Fed may not hire teachers but they can persuade and influence local governments to do it with incentives. Like they do at almost every level of state/locally funded systems. The country desperately needs to fix it's education system on many levels before we slip further down the pole. If you don't think we should do it by adding more teachers than that's an argument worth having, because I think there are probably better ways out there than just increasing the number of teachers.

She was an all out atheist but the bible and Atlas co exist nicely. teach many of the same things

Now I'm sure that you're trolling.

The EC- what if i campaign in the 8 most populist states (which is about 4 times the population of the rest 42 not 49 if u believe in 57 states :) and tell those 8 that if you vote for me, you 8 states would never have to pay income taxes or anything. Those other 42 would. I would have my mandate of 4 times the vote, and it could become law. That is the brilliance of our founders is to control someone drunk with power vs drunk and a keyboard after a Husker loss. I still think awarding them according to legislative district would give our vote more weight and candidates would have to work at getting All of CA, PA, OH, NY etc.. to buy into them.

Equal protection component of the 5th Amendment should lessen your concerns.

Every American vote should carry the exact same weight. That's equality. One person. One vote.

Knapp- my brother in-law works for BP- and yes he was very involved in the oil spill. He says, the pipe line will always require workers to maintain it. We have many people, in our current nebraska pipeline field, just doing routine stuff Yes, there is quite a requirement (logistic and human capital) to implement it, but it would be built through out several states at the same time. Giving communities an economic boom 1-2 years ( these guys work for about 85-100 an hour and they don't go home on the weekends much). A better example would be the need for such work in ND. The difference as you mention is, our work force is not sustainable (large qty for construction) for the life of the pipe line vs taking gas out of the ground in ND.

AS Nebraska We sit on life's most valuable resource. Man has been fighting for water rights darn near forever. Most cowboy movies feature that aspect. T Boone Pickens is the largest land owner when it comes to water rights (cubic gallons/liters), not westerner Ted Turner. But mother earth has a great way of filtering out impurities and creating a good balance. The gulf oil spill's impact was minimal from an ecological standpoint. There is a lot of seepage on the bottom of the ocean and salt water eats that stuff up like a cruise ship's trash they used to cast overboard. Ever seen a foam plate in salt water? Foam plates are made from oil.

Carl- the bible is not about going to Ceasar for sustanance. Atlas Shrugged is another take on the seven deadly sins which the bible preaches against as well.

EC- one vote- but we are a representative republic. You and I can not vote in Congress, we are represented by them. If one vote was to stand, we could all vote on laws by computer and get rid of Congress-- now we are on to something

The widespread panic sweeping across the Republicans in this country is pathetic.... To actually fear (Yes, fear?) for the long-term well being of this country because Barack Obama was reelected is childish, short-sighted, and asinine.... I personally didn't find him worthy of a second term, but come on! Don't listen to Fox & Friends....

• Fire 3

Carl- the bible is not about going to Ceasar for sustanance. Atlas Shrugged is another take on the seven deadly sins which the bible preaches against as well.

If you think that Atlas Shrugged and the Bible complement each other you can't be too familiar with either the Bible or Atlas Shrugged.

EC- one vote- but we are a representative republic. You and I can not vote in Congress, we are represented by them.

Explain to me why you think that each vote for our representative in the White House shouldn't carry equal weight.

• Fire 1

Marco Rubio? Hilary Clinton?

C'mon guys, haven't you been paying attention? Sarah Palin is running for president in 2016. Nuff' said.

Technically I am a democrat, listed on my voter registration. But there are some republicans ideals that i go along as well. By the way what does that make me? A neutral?

Anyway back on topic, i couldn't agree more with this saying from George Grote (1846)

"A democracy is always temporary in nature; it simply cannot exist as a permanent form of government. A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates who promise the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that every democracy will finally collapse due to loose fiscal policy, which is always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations from the beginning of history has been about 200 years. During those 200 years, these nations always progressed through the following sequence:"

From bondage to spiritual faith;

From spiritual faith to great courage;

From courage to liberty;

From liberty to abundance;

From abundance to selfishness;

From selfishness to complacency;

From complacency to apathy;

From apathy to dependence;

From dependence back into bondage.

• Fire 1