David Petraeus Resigns

Excel

The timing of this announcement is fishy and some of the details appear farfetched. I'm going to get my tinfoil hat out of the closet and call bullsh#t on this whole deal right now. If this is really why he resigned and a completely true story, he would have to be one of the stupidest persons to ever walk this earth. And since I don't think he is that dumb, well I have lots of questions.

1- He's the CIA Director..........pretty sure he knows not to use gmail account for any vital information. And supposing the FBI did find proof of an affair or his account being hacked, so what? The only plausible side effect is that an affair could open him up to blackmail. If that is the case, then why does the affair have to be made public? Pretty sure he could've resigned for many reasons that could have kept that quiet.

2- Seems like the perfect fabricated story, maybe too perfect. Quite a few details that don't implicate any real security issues. And possibly some side story about the drone being fired on by Iran that is intended to deflect probing. I may be too paranoid but I still feel this has to do with Libya. Or possibly something much worse than an affair with his biographer, I would think someone who also would have to pass some background checks and low level security clearances.

I'm not buying this deal.

The timing of this announcement is fishy and some of the details appear farfetched. I'm going to get my tinfoil hat out of the closet and call bullsh#t on this whole deal right now. If this is really why he resigned and a completely true story, he would have to be one of the stupidest persons to ever walk this earth. And since I don't think he is that dumb, well I have lots of questions.

1- He's the CIA Director..........pretty sure he knows not to use gmail account for any vital information. And supposing the FBI did find proof of an affair or his account being hacked, so what? The only plausible side effect is that an affair could open him up to blackmail. If that is the case, then why does the affair have to be made public? Pretty sure he could've resigned for many reasons that could have kept that quiet.

2- Seems like the perfect fabricated story, maybe too perfect. Quite a few details that don't implicate any real security issues. And possibly some side story about the drone being fired on by Iran that is intended to deflect probing. I may be too paranoid but I still feel this has to do with Libya. Or possibly something much worse than an affair with his biographer, I would think someone who also would have to pass some background checks and low level security clearances.

I'm not buying this deal.

:dunno

It's probably part of the Great Benghazi Cover Up.

Edit: Didn't even get to the italicized part before I commented.

Carl- So do you accept this story at face value; that he resigned for no other reason than an affair was discovered? I'm feeling a bit like Mel Gibson in Conspiracy Theory but the circumstantial evidence is getting very deep. If every person in DC resigned over an affair, there would be nobody to run the country. I think Patreous is either taking one for the team pr bailing on something he was responsible for or both. No way this is really just about an affair and/or a hacked email account.

I find this resignation more than a little convenient.

For who and how? I haven't been following too closely...but this is just a case of the psycho jealous mistress getting loose and now he's caught, right?

The resignation is to prevent further embarrassment to the CIA and the POTUS...a fairly typical move of any high level position in public and private life when the horse poop hits the fan.

It's not going to stop any investigations or prevent him from testifying if called before Congress just because he's not D/CIA any more.

I find this resignation more than a little convenient.

For who and how? I haven't been following too closely...but this is just a case of the psycho jealous mistress getting loose and now he's caught, right?

The resignation is to prevent further embarrassment to the CIA and the POTUS...a fairly typical move of any high level position in public and private life when the horse poop hits the fan.

It's not going to stop any investigations or prevent him from testifying if called before Congress just because he's not D/CIA any more.

It is being asserted that the White House knew of this affair as early as Oct 10 and purposely did not reveal it until after the election. It is also being speculated if Patraeus's memory of the Libya acts of terror could change if supoenad.

Just a theory I saw but, if he is forced to testify now, he could invoke the fifth amendment. That would be really strange IF he were still director. Not so much so now that he's resigned. Possibly could be the end of the trail. I agree with knapp, very convenient. I don't think an affair like this claimed one carries the stigma it used to. Hell President. Clinton survived his without resigning. The timing and extenuating circumstances are just too much for me to accept.

Just as it was reasonable to assume that the consequences of Mitt Romney not releasing his taxes to the American voter were less than the consequences of releasing them (since releasing them was so easy, and such a no-brainer thing to do), it's also reasonable to assume that Petraeus' resignation at this odd time, for this odd reason, is in some way designed to mitigate the fallout from a potentially bigger scandal.

Is it ironclad? Hardly.

I'm not a believer in coincidences. Not like this.

The agent, after being barred from the case, contacted a member of Congress, Washington Republican David Reichert, because he was concerned senior FBI officials were going to sweep the matter under the rug, the officials said. That information was relayed to top congressional officials, who notified FBI headquarters in Washington. LINK

Sounds like the FBI agent who brought this story out into the daylight is going to suffer some consequences. He (the agent) was a friend of Mrs. Kelly (who received the threatening emails) before this whole scandal broke. The WSJ article points out that the agent sent shirtless photos of himself to Ms. Kelley prior to the investigation, implying that the agent was making a play for her or had some sort of relationship with her. The FBI pulled him off the case when they found out about his earlier emails. lol

WTF? Is everyone in gov't having affairs??