The problem with the announcing is that the disputed play was not indisputable as they thought. There was not enough evidence to overturn the call on the field. If they had called it a TD, I think it would have stood as a TD.

They problem was that McDonnah "sp" and Spielman wouldn't let it go. They kept hammering that it was the wrong call. That is the problem I have with it.

cause it was the wrong call. the ball of the nose had already crossed the white line and then when the ball completely over that's when it got knocked out. The booth people messed up. the play is over as soon as any part of that ball crosses the white line.

I agree with NUinID, that call could have gone either way and neither way was going to be overturned by the replay angles they showed on TV. You might "think" the ball crossed the plane but you don't know for sure. Are you Sean McDonough's alter ego?

here's my logic. the ball had to cross the line before it got knocked out. but if the ball was already across the white line it should be a touchdown. they couldn't see clearly the ball crossing the line but if i he managed to get the ball that far then he most certainly crossed with the ball before coming loose.

Karma for 1982.

Whoa...not so fast. That's not karma for 1982, that's an initial down payment on Karma for 1982, which will be followed up with regular karma installment payments over the next 30 years.

That horribly s****y, inexcusable call in 1982 cost our kids a National Title. A fumble that honestly could have went either way doesn't even begin to cover how bad they karmically (is that a word?) screwed us.

Karma for 1982.

Whoa...not so fast. That's not karma for 1982, that's an initial down payment on Karma for 1982, which will be followed up with regular karma installment payments over the next 30 years.

That horribly s****y, inexcusable call in 1982 cost our kids a National Title. A fumble that honestly could have went either way doesn't even begin to cover how bad they karmically (is that a word?) screwed us.

So many fail to mention 2 bad calls in a row in that 82 game. The td catch a play later was a trap. The ball clearly skips the ground. Replay then wouldve easily overturned both catches. They shouldnt've needed replay, they were that obvious.

It was such a bang bang play that they couldn't overturn it and would have had to keep the call on the field either way. There was still enough time in the game that it didn't decide the outcome. It wasn't a bad or terrible call just a close call that could have went either way. I just can't stand ESPN only showing the replays of that play and the PI call against MSU to make it look like those two plays are the only reason we won the last two games.

Overall decent announcers except fumble call. Over and over again.......enough is enough. And bald geek announcer said "controversy call for a long time" or something like that, not once but several times. Live action was clearly fumbled both me, non-biased audiences and even announcers agreed but slow motion booth was very close call, fumble or not, 50-50 chance, thus no overturn.

Plus at the same time, replay MSU PI. Sheeezz...........

If the same call went against Nebraska, I'd be pissed.

But I'd also be a little pissed at Burkhead/Martinez because this is happening way too much in both college and pros....guys sniffing the end zone and sticking the ball out way too early, where things like this are bound to happen.

These aren't fourth down or last second plays. Gotta protect the ball, cause a turnover at the one inch line is a real mood killer.

I think the ABC announcers do a very good job - give it a rest. They harped on the fumble call because it was an awful call. They didn't blame Nebraska, they blamed the referees. Someone, explain to me how that is "bias"

If I was the head referee last night, I reverse the fumble and give PSU a touchdown. I was streaming the game through standard def on my computer, so I didn't have the highest quality view, but everything I saw suggested PSU had control of the football as the ball was extended over the plane.

That said, Penn State needs to give it a rest and look at the big picture. Maybe you shouldn't give up 14 points in the first six minutes of the half or have your QB get called for intentional grounding in his own end zone.

Suggested being the key word. Nothing indisputable.

To me, it looked the ball was even starting to turn as he extended it out before the Nebraska player even hit the ball. There's a chance he was dropping it before it ran into our player. Because they couldn't say with certainty, the ruling was upheld.

Yah, I thought it was a TD for a couple of hours until I saw a blowup version and to me the guy's bottom hand had come off the ball. It looked like Fischer had hooked that bottom arm. You could see white through the space between the bottom hand and the football. It is the knee of our defender, before it hit the knee. The top hand is cupped like he is trying to regrasp the ball and it looks like the football is bobbled/slipping. Then it bounces against the knee. I can understand why the replay officials say he lost control before the endline was reached. Go back and check it out.

The truth is, if Nebraska makes a bad play and the announcers make note of it -- as is their job -- thin-skinned idiots on Huskerboard will see nothing but anti-Nebraska bias.

No criticism leveled at Nebraska by the national broadcasting announcers or ESPN is as bad or "venomous" as the average thread on this supposedly pro-Husker bulletin board.

While this is true, this is no different than any other message board for any other team. I challenge you or anyone to find a message board for a top team that doesn't have an "ESPN is biased against us" thread on it somewhere. Every fan base has that group who thinks the announcers are out to get them.

If the same call went against Nebraska, I'd be pissed.

But I'd also be a little pissed at Burkhead/Martinez because this is happening way too much in both college and pros....guys sniffing the end zone and sticking the ball out way too early, where things like this are bound to happen.

These aren't fourth down or last second plays. Gotta protect the ball, cause a turnover at the one inch line is a real mood killer.

Even though it's wishful thinking, I would love the rule to be that you had to have control of the ball against your body and have it then break the plane (the player actually gets into the endzone). I hate watching (especially NFL) a receiver getting knocked out two yards short, but he's got long arms and big hands, he just reaches the ball out, breaks the plane and it's a TD. Even though he himself never really got in. It will never happen, but that would be my wish.

The truth is, if Nebraska makes a bad play and the announcers make note of it -- as is their job -- thin-skinned idiots on Huskerboard will see nothing but anti-Nebraska bias.

No criticism leveled at Nebraska by the national broadcasting announcers or ESPN is as bad or "venomous" as the average thread on this supposedly pro-Husker bulletin board.

While this is true, this is no different than any other message board for any other team. I challenge you or anyone to find a message board for a top team that doesn't have an "ESPN is biased against us" thread on it somewhere. Every fan base has that group who thinks the announcers are out to get them.

Oh absolutely.

Which is what makes the bias claims silly.