Consider What We Have Accomplished

Landlord

If only Burkhead were healthy.

What? Our win loss record would be the same.

I probably have to agree. Obviously his presence didnt do much for the Ohio St game. May have kept it closer. Looking at the UCLA game, I honestly cant say his presence wouldve changed that outcome either. The issues there were far beyond the running back position.

I'll add a little bit to this:

Our opponent's combined record is 57-33 (excluding Idaho State). 10 of those losses are accounted for by Southern Miss, who is just dismal this year. Exclude Southern Miss and our opponent's combined record is 57-23, a winning percentage of 71.25%. The two teams we've lost to, UCLA and Ohio State, are a combined 18-2 and are both ranked in the Top 20 of the AP Poll (and would be the BCS too if the Buckeyes weren't under sanctions)

The teams we've played in our last 6 games (Wisconsin, Ohio State, Northwestern, Michigan, Michigan State, and Penn State) are 42-18 combined. Half of those losses are accounted for by Michigan State and Penn State. What was our record against them? 5-1. Any way you cut it, that's impressive.

Except for the fact that the Big 10 is one of the weaker conferences this year. I'm not saying the team could do anything to fix that, but I'm not really impressed with their play.

But hey, they do make for interesting football games...

This is not an attack on your comment ...

But, I'm tired of people saying how weak the B1G is. I'm obviously biased, but I don't buy it.

I agree that the Big 10 is not "weak" per definition. It's obviously not elite or near the best either. OoC record shows this. But it is very balanced top to bottom. Any team could legitimately beat any other team, outside of maybe 2 or 3.

Also, historically losing the bowl games is kind of a skewed observation as well. If you notice, the Big 10 teams are always playing SEC teams in bowls. How would the Big 12 or ACC bowl records change year after year if they were facing only SEC teams rated in the top ten in pretty much all their bowl matchups

If we could've just managed to beat UCLA....

But on a brighter note, we should end the regular season with only 2 losses. (Both to ranked opponents)

I like this team's fight and demeanor. I hope to see our defense improve next season and for us to cut down on the turnovers / penalites.

Lot of upside for the football team right now.

GBR!

Food for thought:

Since 2008, Bo's first year, only 6 BCS teams won 9 or more games in each of the years 2008 through 2011: Alabama, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Nebraska.

It's likely that only three, maybe four, of those six teams will continue that streak into 2012.

Virginia Tech: 4-6, eliminated.

West Virginia: 5-4, tanking, would have to go 4-0 vs. Oklahoma, at Iowa State, KU, and a bowl game. Not gonna happen.

Oklahoma State: 6-3, would have to win 3 of these 4: Texas Tech, at OU, at Baylor, and bowl game.

Nebraska: 8-2, one win away with 3 or 4 left.

Alabama: 9-1

Oregon: 10-0

(Note: TCU, currently 6-4, and Boise State have also won 9 games in those years, but not in BCS conferences.)

Food for thought:

Since 2008, Bo's first year, only 6 BCS teams won 9 or more games in each of the years 2008 through 2011: Alabama, Oregon, Virginia Tech, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Nebraska.

It's likely that only three, maybe four, of those six teams will continue that streak into 2012.

Virginia Tech: 4-6, eliminated.

West Virginia: 5-4, tanking, would have to go 4-0 vs. Oklahoma, at Iowa State, KU, and a bowl game. Not gonna happen.

Oklahoma State: 6-3, would have to win 3 of these 4: Texas Tech, at OU, at Baylor, and bowl game.

Nebraska: 8-2, one win away with 3 or 4 left.

Alabama: 9-1

Oregon: 10-0

(Note: TCU, currently 6-4, and Boise State have also won 9 games in those years, but not in BCS conferences.)

Thanks for looking this up. I was thinking about the 9 game streak recently and haven't heard it mentioned this season. Alabama & Oregon are good company to have and should get our program noticed. Considering that we switched conferences in that streak makes it even more impressive. Hopefully we'll hear this mentioned more around bowl season.

Nice stats.

The 9 win standard may have changed. In this day and age of 13-14 games schedules as a norm, the new standard has probably been raised to 10, or even 11 wins depending on the place. But to me, the challenge of getting the 9 wins year in and year out is still just as difficult as it has ever been-if not more.

Take into account all that we as a program have endured over the last 4+ years, with change of conferences(bs of a final year in one, and the unrecognizeable first in another), rebuilding a tattered program, and what seemed like new offensive systems year after year, and there's nothing wrong with being proud that we've been as good as we have been.

Nice stats.

The 9 win standard may have changed. In this day and age of 13-14 games schedules as a norm, the new standard has probably been raised to 10, or even 11 wins depending on the place. But to me, the challenge of getting the 9 wins year in and year out is still just as difficult as it has ever been-if not more.

Take into account all that we as a program have endured over the last 4+ years, with change of conferences(bs of a final year in one, and the unrecognizeable first in another), rebuilding a tattered program, and what seemed like new offensive systems year after year, and there's nothing wrong with being proud that we've been as good as we have been.

Obviously the top goal for Bo as head coach is to win championships.

However, to get to that point, you must first raise the level of play and at the same time bring stability to the program. I believe he has done that and being probably one of 3-4 programs since 2008 to win 9 games per year after this season proves that.

Also, he will have played in 3 CCGs in 5 years in two different conferences. I'll go to my grave believing one was robbed from us.

Nice stats.

Wouldn't the list kind of be small if you raised the standard to 10 wins over the last 5 years?

Stability and consistently winning should be a great selling point for a program. GBR!