Our Backups need more play time

Branno

I don't see a single scenario where all 11 starters will be out of the game at the same time and force us to use an entire line up of second stringers. This worry about backups is way over blown.

I have never figured out why people thing getting 10-12 plays in a couple games makes you so much better than getting 50-60 reps every day in practice all year long.

Would I like them to play more? Sure. Is that somehow going to be the magic bullet that makes you into an All-Conference player? Not a chance.

Just imagine that surgeons were trained only by working on dummies. Sure they might get pretty good at working on those dummies but it is much different than doing surgery on a real patient.

Would you want a surgeon doing major surgery on you that hadn't gotten experience on actual patients?

I'd imagine football is the same. Getting to play at real game speed is something you can't do in practice.

I don't see a single scenario where all 11 starters will be out of the game at the same time and force us to use an entire line up of second stringers. This worry about backups is way over blown.

I have never figured out why people thing getting 10-12 plays in a couple games makes you so much better than getting 50-60 reps every day in practice all year long.

Would I like them to play more? Sure. Is that somehow going to be the magic bullet that makes you into an All-Conference player? Not a chance.

Just imagine that surgeons were trained only by working on dummies. Sure they might get pretty good at working on those dummies but it is much different than doing surgery on a real patient.

Would you want a surgeon doing major surgery on you that hadn't gotten experience on actual patients?

I'd imagine football is the same. Getting to play at real game speed is something you can't do in practice.

Putting aside for the moment how preposterous your comparison is, where are the doctors supposed to get that experience? Do they need to start with some of the "less important" patients before they do your surgery?

What year is Kellogg?

I imagine he will see more time next year id he is expected to replace T-Mart.

Also, it seemed, to me anyway, that we rotated the backups in at a reasonable pace starting in the third Q. Or I wasn't paying much attention, as I was just happy to see offense and defense clicking in the same game for once.

Next year is going to be huge for us, I think, if we finish this year with wins against Iowa, Wisconsin, and in the Rose Bowl. Hopefully we can do that, and get a foothold in the elite group headed into next season.

I have never figured out why people thing getting 10-12 plays in a couple games makes you so much better than getting 50-60 reps every day in practice all year long. Would I like them to play more? Sure. Is that somehow going to be the magic bullet that makes you into an All-Conference player? Not a chance.
Just imagine that surgeons were trained only by working on dummies. Sure they might get pretty good at working on those dummies but it is much different than doing surgery on a real patient. Would you want a surgeon doing major surgery on you that hadn't gotten experience on actual patients? I'd imagine football is the same. Getting to play at real game speed is something you can't do in practice.
Putting aside for the moment how preposterous your comparison is, where are the doctors supposed to get that experience? Do they need to start with some of the "less important" patients before they do your surgery?

They do it by working with, and under the direct supervision of a senior doctor. But they aren't just thrown to the wolves, "Well I guess you graduated from med school, go do a heart transplant" that doesn't happen. They do minor surgeries, not on less important patients but in less dangerous cases. Hell, I'm a surgical technician and I once had a doctor let me perform an appendectomy (under his supervision). After a couple of those, and some other small cases, I was able to do some interesting things while I was in Iraq.

I think the comparison is apt though. Practice doesn't make perfect. Yes they're backups now, but this isn't the NFL. Many of these guys are going to be starters in the future. The more we get them into REAL games, the better our future.

Thanks Mav.

I've heard amazing things about Armstrong, but don't know anything and have not seen anything. Either way, I hope we have a solid backup getting decent snaps to take over after Taylor is gone.

In Bo We Trust.

Quite a change from earlier in the year for many fans. I have kept the faith, never wavered, and really do believe Bo is our answer, for at least the next decade or so.

I have never figured out why people thing getting 10-12 plays in a couple games makes you so much better than getting 50-60 reps every day in practice all year long. Would I like them to play more? Sure. Is that somehow going to be the magic bullet that makes you into an All-Conference player? Not a chance.
Just imagine that surgeons were trained only by working on dummies. Sure they might get pretty good at working on those dummies but it is much different than doing surgery on a real patient. Would you want a surgeon doing major surgery on you that hadn't gotten experience on actual patients? I'd imagine football is the same. Getting to play at real game speed is something you can't do in practice.

They do it by working with, and under the direct supervision of a senior doctor. But they aren't just thrown to the wolves, "Well I guess you graduated from med school, go do a heart transplant" that doesn't happen. They do minor surgeries, not on less important patients but in less dangerous cases. Hell, I'm a surgical technician and I once had a doctor let me perform an appendectomy (under his supervision). After a couple of those, and some other small cases, I was able to do some interesting things while I was in Iraq.

I think the comparison is apt though. Practice doesn't make perfect. Yes they're backups now, but this isn't the NFL. Many of these guys are going to be starters in the future. The more we get them into REAL games, the better our future.

I'm not a lawyer or on a medical review board or anything, but this sounds VERY shady. Granted, I'm sure it helped in Iraq and that is good, I guess. But, I don't see this as something I would tell people about, I'm sure the surgeon you replaced would appreciate your silence...

Well. I imagine there is nothing like playing in front of 80,000 people who are all screaming at you. Nothing like playing in front of TV. There's nothing like playing against players who you haven't practiced against every day. I do agree with your point about lots of practice makes a difference, but also recognize there is pressure & stage fright that goes with playing live games. Game experience matters IMO.

Yes, they need to get more playing time, but outside of earlier in the season when have they had time except for yesterday? Hopefully they'll have some time against Iowa next Friday, but we'll see.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say. I understand they are backups for a reason, but without any real experience playing in actual games they aren't going to improve. I'd rather figure out RK3 has problems with handoffs in garbage time than if he gets out in because of an injury.