Bo Pelini and the Write Off Season of 2012

Nebula

After UCLA I thought we might go 6-6. Bo and this team proved me wrong. From the guys we had playing to the staff that he had assembled. That is why he is a coach and I am an internet guru!

This team, although mistake prone at the worst possible moments, won't quit. That is an awesome trait and characteristic to instill in the young men under his charge. It serves them well in the game and even better in life.

Good post!

Like the original poster I was worried about this year because of the loss of our best defensive players from a Defense that was a little weak to begin with. Given that and the tough schedule I was expecting 7 or 8 wins on the season. After UCLA I also was thinking 6 and 6, and maybe even worse.

Four 10 point 2nd half comebacks aren't due to luck. That takes leadership and mental toughness. I am really enjoying the season, although I wonder what would have happened if NU doesn't convert the 4th and 10 at Northwestern. Would that loss following OSU have been too much to overcome?

Loved the post. The only thing that hit me differently was the "BRUTAL SCHEDULE" comment. I think this schedule was pretty easy and the B1G sucks in football this year as in the past. To me, it is the weakest in years.

I wouldn't say Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State or Ohio State would be easy wins for anyone.

Especially since they were all in a row.

Our schedule wasn't as tough as some (me) had feared early in the season, but it was as difficult as it could have been. We were one marquis non-conference opponent away from having a top-tier SOS. As it stands now, we've played the #31 SOS in the country (Sagarin). The only other B1G team to play a tougher schedule was Michigan State, but only because Notre Dame has had a lights-out year that nobody expected. They chipped in at #26.

Based on straight wins/losses, the NCAA has us at the #3 overall SOS, which is amazing considering we've played two teams (Southern Miss and Idaho State) with a combined 1-21 record. Michigan State is second in the conference, according to the NCAA, at #5.

We've played seven of the top nine teams in our conference (minus ourselves and Purdue), and we've gone 6-1 against them, a feat I'll put up against any team in any other conference.

Was Michigan's conference slate THAT much easier than MSU's? I mean, they both played ND and although MSU played Boise, Michigan played Bama. That's gotta be worth something...

We've played seven of the top nine teams in our conference (minus ourselves and Purdue), and we've gone 6-1 against them, a feat I'll put up against any team in any other conference.

I don't know Knapp...the way we've shot ourselves in the foot sometimes, it seems as if we are playing against ourselves! :devil

I don't know Knapp...the way we've shot ourselves in the foot sometimes, it seems as if we are playing against ourselves! :devil

That's very true. We've been our own worst enemy this year. We should have been more competitive against Ohio State and we should never, ever have given up 600+ yards of offense to UCLA. And that's not to even mention the issues we had coming back against Wisky, Sparty, Northwestern and Penn State.

This is a team with great potential. If they can put it all together, this could still turn out to be a fantastic season. They've just got to get right in their collective heads.

Our schedule wasn't as tough as some (me) had feared early in the season, but it was as difficult as it could have been. We were one marquis non-conference opponent away from having a top-tier SOS. As it stands now, we've played the #31 SOS in the country (Sagarin). The only other B1G team to play a tougher schedule was Michigan State, but only because Notre Dame has had a lights-out year that nobody expected. They chipped in at #26.

Based on straight wins/losses, the NCAA has us at the #3 overall SOS, which is amazing considering we've played two teams (Southern Miss and Idaho State) with a combined 1-21 record. Michigan State is second in the conference, according to the NCAA, at #5.

Why is Sagarin so much different than the NCAA SOS?

Why is Sagarin so much different than the NCAA SOS?

Because the NCAA's is just a simple calculation of wins vs. losses. They don't take anything else into account, like opponent SOS, margin of victory, and whatever else the Sagarin formula uses. Both have their uses when trying to figure out how difficult a team's SOS is/was, but neither are the definitive answer.

Sagarin's formula is used as part of the BCS, and he has archived data going back to 1997 or 1994 or something, so it's helpful to have a consistent comparator to go back to when arguing SOS from this year compared to something in the mid-90s. That comes up when you have belligerent Penn State fans or Michigan fans trying to make their cases for national championships in '94 and '97.

I'm another one of those people who gave up on the season after the OSU game. I didn't think there was any way the team could pull themselves together after getting beaten by UCLA the way they did and getting hammered by OSU, but thankfully I was wrong. It hasn't been pretty, but at the end of the day, all that really matters is whether you add one in the W column or the L column. They've done what they needed to do to win, and I hope they're able to do that three more times this year (against Iowa and hopefully in the CCG and Rose Bowl). It feels odd to say it, but even if we get beaten in the Rose Bowl, I'll be satisfied just for the fact that we finally made it back to a BCS bowl.

i completely believe that we (big10) will be exposed in the bowls.............as one of the top conferences in the country.

Imo, SEC is very overrated this season and we will end up winning 50% of our games with them.

If osu wasnt on probation they would be very likely playing in the mnc presuming they could beat us again!

ESPN has their reasons for pimping the sec and it shows in peoples bias about the sec (because they get all of their sports info from espn).

prediction: BIG wins at least 2/3 of their bowl games this season with at least a 1/2 with the sec.

Side note: i love doing posts that put a space between every line for some reason.

• Fire 1

It is strange that our schedule is considered that tough. The Big 10 is horrible this year in football, and I shudder to think what would have happened if we were in a league that had teams that could actually score the ball (i.e., Big 12).

But it has been great watching the team improve over the season, especially on defense. It's also great to have an offense that can actually score the freakin ball. After 2009 and 2010, I thought there was no hope to ever have an offense like this. It's been fun to watch, and has definitely brought us back in most of our conference games this year.

Great post. I hope everyone will just get behind coach Pelini now. I've said all along he was the guy if given time. I hope Nebraska shows the rest of the instant gratification society around the country and some here in Nebraska, what can be done with the right people, some patience, and time. It'll happen, if given time. As a veteran coach myself, while there might be an issue here or there (there always is in ANY program) the kids wouldn't fight like they do if the coach wasn't the right one. They'd lay down and quit when the chips are down but they don't. Proof enough for me.