Why does the Big 10 suck during the bowl season?

KC Cowboy

Some of the different B1G bowl projections and who I think could win each.

CBS Sports Bowl Projections

Rose - Nebraska vs. Oregon - scary matchup for Nebraska - Oregon probably wins

Outback - Northwestern vs. South Carolina - SC

Gator - Minnesota vs. Mississippi State - Not sure how they came up with this one, but Minny gets crushed.

Capital One - Michigan vs. Georgia - Toss-up. Michigan would have a good shot at this one.

Buffalo Wild Wings - Oklahoma State vs. Wisconsin - Wisconsin should probably win this one.

Meineke Car Care - TCU vs. Purdue - Purdue probably gets beat by a couple of scores

ESPN Bowl Projections - Schlabach and Edwards

Rose - Nebraska vs. Stanford - I like this matchup. Nebraska could do well and win this one.

Capital One - Michigan vs. Texas A&M - toss-up. Another good matchup.

Outback - Wisconsin vs. Florida OR South Carolina - Wiscy should have a shot in either one.

Heart of Dallas - Purdue vs. TCU - Purdue probably loses by a couple scores.

Gator - Northwestern vs. Mississippi State - Good matchup but NW probably loses.

Buffalo Wild Wings - Michigan State vs. Iowa State OR Oklahoma State - MSU would beat ISU but lose to OSU

Meineke - Minnesota vs. Iowa State OR Texas Tech - Minny probably loses either matchup

So best case scenario for the conference would be probably a 5-2 bowl season, with a worst case scenario of either 0-6 or 0-7. Ouch.

With Gardner in, I could see Michigan competing with almost anyone. I think they would beat LSU or Florida, whoever makes it.

Nebraska/Oregon- This game is a complete toss up. Oregon's defense is horrid. I think it would be a shoot out, but if we turn the ball over, we are done for. We could win this game, if we play with limited mistakes.

Michigan State has a great chance at beating Okie State. Their offense has gotten much better, and their defense is still good enough to stop them

Northwestern can and will beat South Carolina and Miss State

Purdue would get their asses handed to them by Iowa State.

Minnesota and West Virginia, not sure what to even think about that match up. WV's defense is horrid, and Minny's offense isn't what it was. WV on that one unfortunately.

Wisconsin has the ability to beat LSU and Florida, Georgia would be the one I would question, but with how Curt Phillips has been doing, who knows how that would go.

4/7 is what I predict, at worst 3/7.

i think you are way off with this.

First off Michigan has a good D, which would keep them in a game against the mediocre offenses of LSU and Florida, but when they only put up 13 points on them, that isn't enough to win.

If we played Oregon expect an Ohio state like score.

I agree about MSU being able to beat Okie State.

NW would get their asses handed to them by South Carolina, NW had an easy schedule in a down B1G this year, it would be close against Miss State however.

Purdue would play ISU closer than you think.

West Virginia would put up 60 against minn, most likely a 56-28 type of game.

Wisconsin is still not that good and would not score enough points against either of those teams.

You are way too optimistic for the B1G especially after everyone proved in the out of conference that we just aren't as strong of conference this year.

the B1G will go 2-5 or 1-6 in bowl games this year.

Thats why we are on a forum, to explain our differences. :)

I think Michigan would put more than 13 points on those teams. They aren't starting Robinson here. Gardner is a MUCH better QB, and a great decision maker and is getting better and better. With Toussaint out, that hurts them a lot, but I don't see them getting outmatched by those two teams. Their offenses aren't that good this year in my opinion, even worse for them going against Michigan's D.

Oregon, I don't think you would see a score with that far of a distance. The team we were when we played OSU is way different than the one we are today. Mistake prone, yes, but we wouldn't be facing a top tier defense by any means. Its Oregon, someone who anyone can put points against. If USC can come as close as they did, and Stanford can beat them, I see no reason why we wouldn't pull an upset. The most I can see, is a high scoring game, 14 point loss. We would put more than 40 on them.

South Carolina, they don't have Lattimore anymore, a huge hit. They have not played anyone worthy since that accident, and they are letting mediocre offenses put up points, and they struggled against Wofford this last weekend. 21-7 win. Tennesee, a not very good team, won by 3, and a beat down Arkansas team is the only team they beat by double digits that would be counted as "worthy" but before that game, a 6 loss team. I don't see any reason that NW couldn't beat SC.

ISU's newest QB has some skill. His debute was against Kansas, but Kansas has shown this year they are no pushover, with pulling close games with Tech and Texas, taking them down to the wire, and they blew them out. Purdue, they just aren't good. First conference win against Iowa, that almost says enough. Its easy to beat a beat down team.

Wisconsin has enough to score points, and their ambition and drive says it enough. Yes they lost to OSU, but its not like OSU is a pushover team. They did stop OSU offensively, until overtime. I think Wisky has enough talent on both sides to beat a LSU and Florida. Like I said, Georgia is a different story. They are one of the most dangerous teams offensively (Top 5 in my opinion).

• Fire 1

The main reason, in my opinion, is every bowl game a B1G team is playing is virtually an away game. Capital One, Outback and Gator Bowls, all against an SEC team, are in Florida and in SEC territory. Rose Bowl, against Pac-12 team, is in California which is Pac-12 territory. Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, in Arizona, against Big 12 is fairly close to Big 12 territory. Meineke Car Care Bowl and Heart of Dallas Bowl, both in Texas, both against a Big 12 team. The only bowl that is in B1G territory is the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl but they pick last in bowl selection.

• Fire 1

The main reason, in my opinion, is every bowl game a B1G team is playing is virtually an away game. Capital One, Outback and Gator Bowls, all against an SEC team, are in Florida and in SEC territory. Rose Bowl, against Pac-12 team, is in California which is Pac-12 territory. Buffalo Wild Wings Bowl, in Arizona, against Big 12 is fairly close to Big 12 territory. Meineke Car Care Bowl and Heart of Dallas Bowl, both in Texas, both against a Big 12 team. The only bowl that is in B1G territory is the Little Caesars Pizza Bowl but they pick last in bowl selection.

Very good point.

No, that's why the dinosaurs died. The Big Ten sucks because I'm a fan and thus it has my taint.

Giving your taint to the Big Ten is rather curious; I mean, I've given my heart to women, the 'Huskers, and my hobbies, but I don't think I've given my taint...nor would they want it.

I guess they do things differently in the B1G after all. To each their own, I suppose. :)

Agreed, but that's nothing new for Nebraska. Hell, we've won our national championships playing on what are effectively home fields for these teams. Playing in the Rose Bowl in what will surely be a home field for Oregon/Stanford/UCLA is just par for the course for us.

I think some of you are very tainted by your B1G ties. Here is my opinion on why we are going to get rolled this bowl season. Oregon in the Rose will be pissed off and rack up 60 against whoever they play to make a point they didn't belong there. Loss. (notice I didn't say they were playing us...we still have to beat Wisconsin and if our players have already written this one off as an easy win like so many of our fans have - we're in for some trouble in Indy) If Oregon doesn't make it, Stanford pounds the B1G rep's rush defense into an early submission.

After that, you go to the SEC tie-ins and here is where it gets ugly. Alabama, Florida, Georgia, LSU, and Texas A&M would beat EVERY eligible B1G team this bowl season 4 out of 5 times on a neutral field. That's pretty well our entire slate of top tier games. The ones that form the basis for our nation perception. Then you put the B1G #4 against any other conferences middle dwellers and it just becomes pathetic. Right now there is only 1 team bowl eligible in Leaders. 4 in Legends, but Minnesota is a joke and Michigan State has lost 4 of their last 5. It's very possible MSU won't even be eligible, and if they are - they certainly are getting taken to the shed by ISU or Okie St. Same with Purdue having to take on an Indiana team that only lost by 3 to Ohio State, 4 to MSU, 1 to Navy. They're a better team than they have been the last couple of weeks and could very well pull off a win here.

That leaves us with a facepalm of a bowl slate, and a serious ass kicking. Think, the #5 selection is Minnesota. The #4 selection is a 7 win team (Wisconsin won't beat Penn State and in this scenario doesn't beat us either). The #4 team in the Pac12 will have 9 wins. The #4 in the SEC will have 10. Heck, the #6 or #7 could end up with 10. They have 6 teams w/ 9 wins right now, and Miss St. finishes with 5-6 ole miss to get their 9th. #4 in Pac12 has 9 wins.

We are consistently 2 losses worse than every other BCS conference. No wonder we can't win.

• Fire 1

WHy does B1G suck in bowl season?

1. 19-19 vs the SEC in the BCS era is sucking?

2. B10 has the most difficult bowl match ups of any conf. Until last year, 99% the games were against SEC, b12, and PAC. No games vs BE, ACC, CUSA like the SEC, b12 have.

3. Play SEC teams in Flordia, new orleans; B12 (texas teams) in Tx; USC in LA. Crowd and weather advantage for other teams.

4. Many years the B10 got two teams in the BCS games solely b/c they have a good following and sell out hotel rooms where other teams were more deserving based on rankings. This has a trickle down effect with poor match-ups (ex a 15th ranked SEC team playing an UR b10 team).

5. Very high profile losses by OSU vs SEC and B10 Rose bowl losses.

6. Media plays up the losses. You never hear much about Oklahoma's pitiful BCS record with their only win vs UConn.

7. Overall, very poor match ups in terms of rankings. I'd guess the B10 was ranked at least 5-7 spots lower than their opponent.

finally no excuses just the league has been down the last few years with Mich, Penn State being down.

2. B10 has the most difficult bowl match ups of any conf. Until last year, 99% the games were against SEC, b12, and PAC. No games vs BE, ACC, CUSA like the SEC, b12 have.

3. Play SEC teams in Flordia, new orleans; B12 (texas teams) in Tx; USC in LA. Crowd and weather advantage for other teams.

4. Many years the B10 got two teams in the BCS games solely b/c they have a good following and sell out hotel rooms where other teams were more deserving based on rankings. This has a trickle down effect with poor match-ups (ex a 15th ranked SEC team playing an UR b10 team).

6. Media plays up the losses. You never hear much about Oklahoma's pitiful BCS record with their only win vs UConn.

7. Overall, very poor match ups in terms of rankings. I'd guess the B10 was ranked at least 5-7 spots lower than their opponent.

finally no excuses just the league has been down the last few years with Mich, Penn State being down.

this too is spot on.

I'd guess the Huskers this year will be seriously overmatched in the bowl (against Oregon or Stanford) or simply overmatched against UCLA or Oregon State. Most of the B1G will play opponents who are a level up from them.

After (almost) 2 years of Big Ten play, it's really quite simple. The Big Ten gets out muscled because they don't have the pu&&y Big Ten refs throwing flags for every little bump. After playing 8 weeks of touch football, playing against the SEC teams (where mugging is allowed) they get their asses handed to them.

It's part of the reason why our secondary is smother Big Ten teams. Yeah we get the bullsh#t PI calls, but we make up for it by only allowing a 43% completion percentage.

this too is spot on.

I'd guess the Huskers this year will be seriously overmatched in the bowl (against Oregon or Stanford) or simply overmatched against UCLA or Oregon State. Most of the B1G will play opponents who are a level up from them.

I would welcome playing any of these three teams. We would not be overmatched at all. We should have beat UCLA, we shot ourselves in the foot.