Punt Returns

Why does Bo use a single returner? TO used 3 returners with great success. No need to chase the ball down before catching it, and a couple guys back to protect you. Does the single returner have anything to do with the rule changes? Also, I suggest Bo do two things:

1. Consult with TO on how to return punts

2. Have the most sure handed player on the team fair catch punts. Give up on returns, just catch them.

The thing bo has m mentioned about multiple returners, and it is true, is the team is more susceptible to fakes. However once the coaches and payees saw the conditions in warm ups,a decision should have b been made that when Iowa was punting into the wind that the returners should bee NO where near the ball. Nothing can comegood from trying to catch the ball against that wind and guys running down field tyring to decapitate you. When Iowa was punting with the wind you put your surest handed returner back there and tell him no matter what you catch the ball. NOAA who that player is is a great unknown.

Personally I like the idea if two returners. It is how I returned punts in college. It prevents you from running across the field trying to catch a ball. AND it gives you one last guy to help keep the heart of ya when you are trying to field the ball.

This needs to be settled and shored up this week.

I don't think we have to resort to the Santino Panico method Callahan used of just getting a good pair of hands back there. A good return threat is a very valuable weapon, and even a good catcher is going to have a screw up every now and then. I know the thinking is "just don't fumble the ball and our offense will do the rest", but it's not out of the realm of possibility that we will go against a D that will shut our O down. In situations like that a dynamite returner is HUGE. Just ask the Chicago Bears about how important PR/KR Devin Hester has been to them. If we just put our return threats back there when we're in a tough game, then they won't be as experienced which will increase the chance of a fumble or muff.

Holy Triple Post Batman! Lol

Anyway, Ameer's fumble was basically him being worried he was going to get creamed. I am not sure why they are looking up to see who is coming at them, when they fair catch it. When you fair catch, ALL you have to do is catch the dang ball. I know there is pressure on these guys, but its inexcusable. Bo didn't even want that punt fielded, because of the Ameer did a great job tracking the ball, and he noticed the field advantage, decided to make sure it stayed short. Wonderful intentions, but execution was a failure. With the more he matures, the less you will see mistakes like this happening

If Rex is the guy, then so be it. I don't understand why the staff keeps running the same 3 fumblers out week after week (Abdullah, Marlowe, Turner). Just get someone to catch the ball. A lost fumble is much more disadvantageous than a good return is advantageous.

Marlowe was one fumble, who should have never seen the field that day anyway. I would have loved to see Bell out there today, but he has muffed a couple as well. I think Courtney Osborne might be a good guy to try out, but we do have our best players fielding them.

If Rex is the guy, then so be it. I don't understand why the staff keeps running the same 3 fumblers out week after week (Abdullah, Marlowe, Turner). Just get someone to catch the ball. A lost fumble is much more disadvantageous than a good return is advantageous.

Turner has never muffed a punt. He dropped a meaningless ball on the sideline, but he was out of bounds when it happened last week. Other than that he has done fine.

Ameer dropped the ball because the wind was ridiculous today and its not excuseable but it was hard to catch the ball. And for those asking for two returners, there were two returners on the punt where Ameer fumbled.