Alonzo Whaley

Let me be the first person to admit my doubts about this guy at the beginning of the season. Since basically the beginning of the regular season, this kid has made a long stride and a solid impact for the defense. Today was probably the best performance of his career. Along with Martin, Whaley was a game changer, and definitely helped seal the deal today.

The more I see this guy on the field, the more I trust that he will get the job done. From a doubter at the beginning of the season, thanks for proving me wrong and making me a proud fan that your on our team Whaley. Two more games left, finish even stronger!

Before the game, he was our #4 tackler, and with today's performance, he should be closer to #3. I am not going to name names, but someone stated last week that Whaley shouldn't be on the field. How one can think this, with all he has done, is beyond me. I hope his performance today has changed more doubters into supporters.

:bonesflag::throwdabones1::bonez

• Fire 1

He's come up huge for us in 2 games (forcing the fumble against Wisky and the interception to end the game today). And really outside of UCLA he hasn't had a terrible game (maybe OSU, but there wasn't anyone who had a good game). Watching his interception today, it looked like he was a DB with how he flipped his hips and jumped the route. I don't think he's capable of making that play earlier in the year. Props to another senior LB who finally gets it and plays a great final year.

Whaley approached this whole season with humility. After the UCLA game, he admitted to coaches that he's probably not the best guy for defending that type of offense. That takes cojones to admit your shortcomings, let alone in sports. If it did anything, it made him a better player afterwards.

With that said, my respect for him grew three-fold after reading that quote from the UCLA game. Why? Because he kept fighting as the year wore on, recognizing that he wasn't the best player, but he also wasn't going to quit trying, because he had a team depending on him. Kudos to Zo and the rest of the Blackshirts for holding each other accountable. Even after the OSU debacle, they showed a lot of heart when they could've easily folded like a lawn chair these past 6 games.

• Fire 2

Someone ripped him a few days back for not being able to cover crossing routes. Haha. He picked of a cross route to end the game. Epic spite.

You know exactly what I was talking about. I kept thinking of what was said each time he made a big play, and I couldn't stop smirking. No better way than that to make someone eat their own words.

Whaley approached this whole season with humility. After the UCLA game, he admitted to coaches that he's probably not the best guy for defending that type of offense. That takes cojones to admit your shortcomings, let alone in sports. If it did anything, it made him a better player afterwards.

With that said, my respect for him grew three-fold after reading that quote from the UCLA game. Why? Because he kept fighting as the year wore on, recognizing that he wasn't the best player, but he also wasn't going to quit trying, because he had a team depending on him. Kudos to Zo and the rest of the Blackshirts for holding each other accountable. Even after the OSU debacle, they showed a lot of heart when they could've easily folded like a lawn chair these past 6 games.

That right there. I doubted his playing ability, but I read the same thing, with him admitting he should be able to tackle, and shouldn't be the starter, since it should be second nature to him. Made me feel bad for him, and my respect for him went through the roof. I am glad he proved myself and many others, that he is a just as good of a player, as he is a person.

Someone ripped him a few days back for not being able to cover crossing routes. Haha. He picked of a cross route to end the game. Epic spite.

You know exactly what I was talking about. I kept thinking of what was said each time he made a big play, and I couldn't stop smirking. No better way than that to make someone eat their own words.

That right there. I doubted his playing ability, but I read the same thing, with him admitting he should be able to tackle, and shouldn't be the starter, since it should be second nature to him. Made me feel bad for him, and my respect for him went through the roof. I am glad he proved myself and many others, that he is a just as good of a player, as he is a person.

He is a total representation of the character and culture Bo is trying to build. Understanding his role. Admitting his shortcomings against one type of offense, but realizing today was his wheelhouse, and he went and blew the doors off.

Don't forget to give props to coaching.

If you noticed on that drive, the coaches obviously knew that was where vandenberg was going, rolling Fisher into that "robber" roll of flowing to the strong side and making sure if Whaley didn't knock the ball down fisher would make the tackle.

Whaley finally jumps it and makes a great play, but the coaches were putting players in position to make a play.

Kudos all around. Execution.

BTW, where was Santos today?

Whaley probably was still a better fit against a run-heavy offense. Not surprised that Santos wasn't in the plan today. He has a lot of days coming.

I was really exited at the end of last year thinking Whaley was really coming on. Unfortunately, this didn't end up being the case. He's done OK and had a few flashes of greatness but not what I had hoped. Congrats to him on a great play today and perhaps he'll keep it up and finish with a flourish.

Let me be the first person to admit my doubts about this guy at the beginning of the season. Since basically the beginning of the regular season, this kid has made a long stride and a solid impact for the defense. Today was probably the best performance of his career. Along with Martin, Whaley was a game changer, and definitely helped seal the deal today.

The more I see this guy on the field, the more I trust that he will get the job done. From a doubter at the beginning of the season, thanks for proving me wrong and making me a proud fan that your on our team Whaley. Two more games left, finish even stronger!

Before the game, he was our #4 tackler, and with today's performance, he should be closer to #3. I am not going to name names, but someone stated last week that Whaley shouldn't be on the field. How one can think this, with all he has done, is beyond me. I hope his performance today has changed more doubters into supporters.

He's a baller. my gripe with him and stafford is their inconsistency. i don't know if they are too busy trying too make the big play instead of the one they are supposed too. but it has hurt us time too time.

But you are right, we needed a LB too step up and help compton, he and Santos have earned their stripes.

He's a baller. my gripe with him and stafford is their inconsistency. i don't know if they are too busy trying too make the big play instead of the one they are supposed too. but it has hurt us time too time.

But you are right, we needed a LB too step up and help compton, he and Santos have earned their stripes.

The inconsistency is most likely them still trying to get that difficult defense down. This is why kids just can't come in day one and start. Not trying to make excuses for them, but his system is very complex. That is why we have had one of the most effective secondaries in the nation, since Bo has been here. It could be a mixture of that, and always wondering if they are in assignment or not. Fisher has earned his role as well. I think each LB has done quite well, especially with being downgraded all spring/summer/fall.

I am I, I have always loved Els and what he has been doing with our LB crew for these two years. He is a great coach, and he gets scolded a lot for Special Teams, but the guy has so much on his plate, its hard to juggle LB's, Recruiting and Special Teams. I think Garrison should take over Special Teams personally.

I think the whole defense made a great pre-snap read on that pic. Whaley seemed to know it was coming.

Well Iowa ran that exact same route two plays earlier and two of our guys were right there and their freshman TE made a great catch. They were lucky that wasn't picked off as well, you could tell Whaley knew it was the same route even before Vandenburg turned his body towards that receiver. Great read by Whaley, stupid play call by their OC.