Old Big 12 Emotional Ties

I don't miss the b12 like I missed the b8. When they chopped the OU-Nu series off at the knees that hurt. When the Okie teams sided with the southern teams to make it a south-centric league and the other members let Texas get whatever they wanted that was disappointing. I have no regrets especially since Missouri bolted and A&M bolted and going through the Longhorn Network fiasco's.

I mean, as of right now we are a program without an identity. We no longer have the bowl streak, the power-I or the option. We don't have the rivalry with Oklahoma. We don't have a long-running series with any team. We haven't won a conference title since '99. We have no real rivalry or relationship with any other program right now. So it is a bit sad to not play Kansas, Missouri, etc every year. (Not to mention Oklahoma)

I miss the Big-8 days. The OU games on Thanksgiving day. Watching the program develop under Devaney, and to young to really understand where the program could be heading, just excited to be on the winning side, for a change. Couldn't have cared less , if we won by one point or twenty. The move to the Big-12, changed all that. Texas getting everything they wanted and having our old members fall in line behind them, with their votes sucked. I still find myself pulling for our old Big-8 foes though, and wish K.St and Bill Snyder could have kept it rolling. I like us being the last back to back N/C.

I am now settled in and I think the B1G is going to be the top Conference and the classiest, in the years to come. Feels like a breath of fresh air, after the Big-12, for obvious reasons.

GBR!!!

Hated losing to OU, but never hated them and found myself cheering for them the weeks they didn't play us. I always cheered for Iowa State except that one weekend per year too.

I agree with those sentiments. However, that sort of mutual respect in the conference disappeared when we left the back door open in the Big 8 and the Texas teams wandered in and took over. Having read two years of ShaggyBevo forums, Texas, Aggie, and Baylor seem to hate anyone in their conference more than anyone outside. They reserve the deepest hate for their own players and coaches, though, so I think it is a pathological thing that they can't really help, for the most part.

I still root for the Big 8 teams when they play SEC, Pac 10, and the like. Iowa State probably more than the others.

emotional ties? most of those ties are to teams we beat almost every year. every year the north division was ours to lose. OU didn't care as much as we did for the rivalry since they so easily tossed it away. I think it's like how we never treated Colorado as a true rival. No point in having ties where they all sided with Texas and not with us. I grew up watching Big 8 football too and i've moved on. In fact i look more forward to these games since we joined the Big Ten because we aren't being ostracized for speaking our minds.

Amen my brother . I miss the big 8 myself. But everything has its time under the Sun and those times are past. We tried talking sense to our fellow Big 8 members but i guess it took us leaving for them to wise up. Long live the Big 10 er B1G. Is that Bee One G? For gosh sakes ... now that Maryland and Rutgers are joining up can we at least get a good Conference title?

I miss the Big 8 but not the Big 12. Texass brought their cancer in and destroyed the Big 8 just like they did to the conference they were in before. I love the B1G! I think as time goes on we will really make an even bigger impact than we already have. I think it would be very cool if Kansas joined the B1G 10. I wouldn't mind seeing North Carolina join as well. Should be interesting.

But I do miss playing Oklahoma. Barry Switzer used to crack me up! Talk about a coach that yelled all the time! I loved watching him go ballistic on the side lines! He makes Bo look like a cream puff!! lol