Need teaching advice - high school

So.... you've already made up your mind that you're going to confront these girls, and you're seeking validation.

Check it out. You're being given excellent advice by at least one teacher, and one person (me) who's been-there/done-that with girls of this age group, and you're sticking to your guns of "owing them" more than letting them suffer the consequences of their actions.

You're not following the advice you're given, and you're an adult.

What makes you think sophomore-aged kids are going to learn from your advice if you won't learn from ours?

There's no "sticking to my guns" about it. Read the OP. It didn't say, "should I confront them?"

It said "How should I go about it?"

Thanks for your input, but there are at least 2 people who have posted who agree that I should have this talk with them. The fact that you think your thoughts and opinions are more important than everyone else's is not my problem.

Thanks for your input, but there are at least 2 people who have posted who agree that I should have this talk with them. The fact that you think your thoughts and opinions are more important than everyone else's is not my problem.

This is the answer you will get. ;)

BTW - please update this thread to let us know how it went. You know these girls better than strangers on the internet. Maybe this will work.

This is the answer you will get. ;)

The difference: I'm not wrong.

You are not in a tough situation...you THINK you are in a tough situation.

You have week, let it go.

You will do the same exact thing, 10 years from now, when there is a week left in the school year and some kid is an ass.

Trust me on this one, let it go.

Very good point. One thing that is unique about my future teaching position is that I will also be the FFA sponsor, so it will be important for me to create a more personal relationship with the students than the average classroom teacher. I will be spending my summers making visits to their homes, visiting them at different activities, taking the officer team to leadership training, holding meetings, etc.

I guess with all this considered, I owe my students more than just "letting it go."

I can see your point about not just letting it go. I can also see that as a student teacher you don't want your supervising teacher to come back and think you've are not capable of getting your students do the work. Do you have a department head that you can ask? I have been at the high school level for awhile now and have always thought myself to be a teacher that will try to reach students that haven't had a lot of success in the classroom. From my experience, there are students that are a little "rough" but you can tell they just need some positive feedback and positive interactions with teachers and then they will work their hearts out. These are the students that you shouldn't let down. From how I'm reading your situation and with some experience with how students think, these girls may have signed up for the class because the thought it to be an easy grade and do not want to do the work, period. To over accommodate their lack of respect for your classroom assignments is doing a disservice to the other students that are fully participating and your teaching the girls nothing about responsibility and consequences. That too is your job as a teacher.

But I don't think having a talk would be a bad idea. I would avoid making it positive or negative, just put out the facts about what their grade will be without completing the project without emotion. I think it is not out of the realm of possibility that they are playing you and don't take you too seriously. And if the do get an F, do expect to hear from the parents. It's just the way it works.

• Fire 1

I have to strongly disagree with those advising to just let it go. I realize that it is probably already too late with only one week remaining for any talk to be highly successful but, I still feel it is the only good option and it is the right thing to do. If a teacher isn't going to try to reach kids like this at every available opportunity, then you've got to ask yourself why you're teaching in the first place. Sure, it's nice and easy with the good students but I would think the higher level of satisfaction would come from truly making a difference in a kids life, not just giving up at the first sign of a challenge. Anyway that's my two cents worth.

• Fire 1

Sorry I came in late -

Try to have an adult present

Phrase it maybe like "I know you "don't care now" but try to remember this conversation in the future, I think that you could do so much better in life if ....." Don't expect results, especially in a week. You might plant a seed that might grow (pardon the VocAg reference)

You were pretty much set up to fail by the regular teacher's class room demenor. I would just roll with it, and LEARN from the situation - you are the STUDENT teacher. Sounds like half of the problems MIGHT be with the parents and or family situation (no money or effort by parents to get stain and lumber) communicate with them (I hate it when they are the problem - I have to meet with parents tomorrow because their son wanted to know about missing work while I was passing out 29 sets of homework and they, him included, were supposed to be working the beginning activity - I got an email from the parents saying that I was "dismissive" with him because I said see me at the end of class during work time) History: Mom was abusive to the baseball coach because my student's brother was not starting on the baseball team - AS A FRESHMAN. I requested a vice principle to be present, just in case.

• Fire 1

Every teacher has been through this one. I have been teaching for more years than many of you have been alive. They don't do a good job of teaching classroom management in college. And it is critical to your success. Trust me. Your students want to know that you are in control. My best advice is to learn from this experience and to set VERY CLEAR guidelines on day one next time. I tell my students that I have very few rules but I am RADICAL about the rules I have. And I am. No exceptions. But pick your battles and know your students. I have spent a lot of years in the inner city. Their mom doesn't support them in bringing supplies. So, you may need to make accomodations. You'll be fine. You care and that's good. We need good teachers like you. Just realize that what your students really need from you is a strong, consistent ADULT. Follow those guidelines and you will have the most positive classroom in the school.

• Fire 1

That previous post was from my lovely wife. She is a Speech Language Pathologist for OPS giving up hospitals and income to help. +1 too her for her commitment. I know of no other profession that you have to have a Masters to be employed in your discipline other than a doctor (no other undergrad degree, masters or nothing) You have a lot of support here, good luck.

• Fire 1

Thank you everybody for the input. I've thought it through a lot and had time to sleep on it, so I feel good about the situation at this point. I have a good teacher-student relationship with these girls, but every teacher in the school has expressed these same concerns about them. I just hope they walk into the room today with a good attitude, or this won't be a good conversation to have.

You are not in a tough situation...you THINK you are in a tough situation.

You have week, let it go.

You will do the same exact thing, 10 years from now, when there is a week left in the school year and some kid is an ass.

Trust me on this one, let it go.

Very good point. One thing that is unique about my future teaching position is that I will also be the FFA sponsor, so it will be important for me to create a more personal relationship with the students than the average classroom teacher. I will be spending my summers making visits to their homes, visiting them at different activities, taking the officer team to leadership training, holding meetings, etc.

I guess with all this considered, I owe my students more than just "letting it go."

I can see your point about not just letting it go. I can also see that as a student teacher you don't want your supervising teacher to come back and think you've are not capable of getting your students do the work. Do you have a department head that you can ask? I have been at the high school level for awhile now and have always thought myself to be a teacher that will try to reach students that haven't had a lot of success in the classroom. From my experience, there are students that are a little "rough" but you can tell they just need some positive feedback and positive interactions with teachers and then they will work their hearts out. These are the students that you shouldn't let down. From how I'm reading your situation and with some experience with how students think, these girls may have signed up for the class because the thought it to be an easy grade and do not want to do the work, period. To over accommodate their lack of respect for your classroom assignments is doing a disservice to the other students that are fully participating and your teaching the girls nothing about responsibility and consequences. That too is your job as a teacher.

But I don't think having a talk would be a bad idea. I would avoid making it positive or negative, just put out the facts about what their grade will be without completing the project without emotion. I think it is not out of the realm of possibility that they are playing you and don't take you too seriously. And if the do get an F, do expect to hear from the parents. It's just the way it works.

There really is no right answer to this question. I taught school for 21 years before moving in a different direction. My biggest problems were with what I termed "Snotty Girls" They felt they were entitled to something more and were special for some reason. Usually mom and dad reinforced this thought also. From what I am reading you may not have had clear guidlines as to when the project needed to be done and the progress that needed to be made. Give them a deadline and stick to it.

You have to let them know you are in charge. It sucks but I found out the hard way that you can't be soft and try to be real friendly with students. They really do see that as a weakness. I know you want them to like you, but there will always be students that do like you and some that don't. Most students will be fairly indiffernt to you as long as you are consistant and treat everyone the same when it comes to discipline.

• Fire 1

I didn't read all the responses all the way down but to inject a bit of humor:

Call up justin bieber and have him tell them to do their work. I bet they fall in line.

Kidding aside, I too support the "positive conversation" crowd. Hope it goes well for you. Also, this:

It sucks but I found out the hard way that you can't be soft and try to be real friendly with students. They really do see that as a weakness. I know you want them to like you, but there will always be students that do like you and some that don't. Most students will be fairly indiffernt to you as long as you are consistant and treat everyone the same when it comes to discipline.

While in school, my peers and I abused this with quite a few teachers. Doesn't sound as though you are as "clueless" as I know my teachers were. But consistency in maintaining "line in the sand" while remembering you can't win them all is key in my mind.

• Fire 1

Please please please, DO NOT try to be the teacher that "saves" kids that don't need saving. Being snotty is not something that a kid needs to be saved from. It is not worth your time.

Pick your battles

words of wisdom right there. You'll also burnout. As the old adage goes "You can lead a horse to water...." Unless you're prepared to do the work for them.