Worst weather at Memorial Stadium

papersun87

Reflecting on how nasty cold and windy it was in Iowa City last week, I was thinking back and trying to remember . . . has the weather ever been particularly nasty at Memorial Stadium?

I was at the Colorado game in 1996 when it was rainy and icy and freaking cold, but beyond that I can't remember many.

And the Great Red/White Deluge of 2012 doesn't count.

I was at the 2006 Texas game, when it started to snow. Wasn't too cold, but it was odd that it started to snow.

That was a great game despite the loss, and you experienced true Nebraska weather changing on a whim. Cloudy, sunny, snow, sun/snow, then sunny again.

I've never been to a bad weather game in Lincoln. Maybe a few pushing the freezing mark and or with gusty winds and a couple with a rather cold rain but, nothing like the 91 game at Folsom Field in Boulder. Don't think it ever got above the teens and they had just gotten about 1 foot plus of snow a day or two prior to the game. Of course being the excellent hosts they have become to be known for, they removed snow from the bleachers in only the CU sections and us visitors got to carve snow caves into the snowy hillside that was our seating sections. Top it off with a 19-19 tie and it's not the best game memory ever.

You young'uns are wimps! Global warming has made you soft! In my day we used to sit through blizzards to watch our Huskers and enjoyed it! :D

This was a memorable game. I remember looking at the snow covered field in the fourth quarter and there wasn't a Mildcat footprint on our side of the field. IIRC stayed to the end of this beatdown.

http://www.huskermax.com/games/1986/08kansasstate.html

1993 game with OU. Trev Alberts dislocated elbow early in the game. Coldest game I can remember.

That. For those at Iowa last week, sorry, but there's no way it was as cold as this -15 windchill beauty with 35 mph gust out of the north. we sat row 80ish in the south. Lips chapped for a week.

Also, this one was pretty bad. I wasnt at this one, but my dad attended more games than he can count, and claims to this day this was the worst of all. 25-30 degrees. Freezing drizzle and rain all day. Soaked and cold. They spun out going 30mph on the interstate on the way home about 15 miles outside of Lincoln. Took gravel the rest of the way to Hastings because paved roads had a sheet of ice on them.

But recently of all the games I've personally attended, nothing stands out as being really bad over the last 10 years. But sitting through that 1993 OU game-I was 10. Nothing will ever compare to that cold.

I know it wasnt in Lincoln but the coldest game I've ever sat through so far was the big 12 ship in Arrowhead against OU in '05 I think. It was in the teens all day and they just had snow the day before I believe. It made it worse having to listen to the OU band every ten seconds though!