Best assessment yet

krc1995

Bo is at the same crossroad Frank Solich was at in 2002. He cannot be HC and call the plays on D also (Frank called the plays on O) If he wants to be a HC, be a HC. Just because some coaches can do both jobs doesn't mean everyone can. Bo needs to hire an experienced DC and manage the team as a whole. End of Story.

snapback.pngGuy Chamberlin, on 03 December 2012 - 06:39 PM, said:

Hmmmm. Monte Kiffin just became available.

his defenses at USC were not very good

No offense, but how old are you? Monte Kiffin with his own son as boss is not the same as Monte Kiffin at Minnesota, Tampa Bay, and the Nebraska national championship teams.

You did hear that Kiffin say he IS going back to the NFL, not "I will if I can find a job." Do yourself a favor and go wikipedia or google him.

I'm not sure we could afford him. I think it would take a fair amount of money to get him.

Chizik is available. Anyone want him as a DC? He'd have to take a pay cut but at least he has major experience. I am not sure if any major programs are looking at him as a head coach so maybe we see him back next as a DC.

Bo will not cut JP. He will not let someone else run their style of D over his own. Think this the reason we didn't even really look at DC candidate's.

Bo needs to dedicate this entire off-season to the defense.....Papuchis looks in over his head. At this stage in the season, you would think we could line up on defense and pin our ears back....nope....to busy making calls and changing coverage......then we miss tackles. Just line up and play. Nothing wrong with blitzing early. Our d-line, can't get pressure...nor a push...so we get exposed by equally talented teams.

Bo needs to dedicate this entire off-season to the defense.....Papuchis looks in over his head. At this stage in the season, you would think we could line up on defense and pin our ears back....nope....to busy making calls and changing coverage......then we miss tackles. Just line up and play. Nothing wrong with blitzing early. Our d-line, can't get pressure...nor a push...so we get exposed by equally talented teams.

That is the major problem with our D. No pressure from our front 4. It's killing us.

I think the issue is much deeper than scheme.

Thats definitely part of it. One thing we missed about LD this year, is his "nose for the ball". WKU was the first game he played, if I'm not mistaken, and I just remember him being EVERYWHERE. I was watching the game with friends who aren't Husker fans, and they were echoing my sentiment...

Thats just another thing that we're missing...

Chizik is available. Anyone want him as a DC? He'd have to take a pay cut but at least he has major experience. I am not sure if any major programs are looking at him as a head coach so maybe we see him back next as a DC.

Bo will not cut JP. He will not let someone else run their style of D over his own. Think this the reason we didn't even really look at DC candidate's.

Then Bo may go down for stubborness. This "style of D" is the weak link. Keep JP in some capacity then. Urban kept Fickell. I am not saying Chizik is the right guy but I am saying we need some experience in the coaching ranks. Chizik would be an out of the box hire.

This is sort of crazy...we are discussing defensive coaching hires when our head coach was to take care of this issue. I would have never guessed that the defense would be our issue on a Pelini coached team. The bottomline is unfortunately Bo has not fixed the main thing he was hired to do.

Then Bo may go down for stubborness. This "style of D" is the weak link. Keep JP in some capacity then. Urban kept Fickell. I am not saying Chizik is the right guy but I am saying we need some experience in the coaching ranks. Chizik would be an out of the box hire.

This is sort of crazy...we are discussing defensive coaching hires when our head coach was to take care of this issue. I would have never guessed that the defense would be our issue on a Pelini coached team. The bottomline is unfortunately Bo has not fixed the main thing he was hired to do.

It is crazy. Like JTrain said, "The issue is much deeper than scheme." We don't have the talent in our front four to make it work. And yes, it will be the undoing of Bo, if doesn't lose some of that loyalty.

Kaz can stay. Pap's got to go. I think that everything could change if Pelini would just hire one callused, weathered, salty, old DC that can show Pelini how things really work in big time college ball. Pelini really needs a mentor. If we could just get 3 years out of a proved, soon to be retired defensive guru, then things will be on track. It's got to be someone that really doesn't need the job and isn't afraid of or offended by Bo's tirades.

Not sure if this post is serious.

Bo doesn't know how big-time BCS ball works? He needs a mentor? Then he shouldn't be a HC at a major CFB program.

Hire a defensive guru for a few years? Isn't Bo supposed to be a defensive guru? Hell freezes over before Bo admits his scheme isn't working and opens himself up to outside opinions.

I don't see how someone can be called competent, let alone a guru when they break most of Cozgrove's bad records. Bo's defense works sometimes, but gets destroyed way too often.

I don't care who the coaches are. If we can't get more athletic on the defensive line and @ LB we're screwed no matter what defensive scheme we play. However, it would have been nice to see adjustments on defense at halftime so we could have held them to 60 instead of 70.

It is tough to get more athletic when the head coach will not play the best athletes. David sat on the bench until an injury forced Bo to play him. How many other future NFL stars are sitting on the bench?

Young coaches are "projects". You win with some.

Bart Miller, the graduate assistant who became Wisconsin's offensive line coach when Bielema fired the SEC experienced guy, Mike Markuson who is 50. Clearly, that was a huge win.

Sometimes a little change to shake things up works well.

But over the 2010/11 seasons, Bielema lost his entire staff - to promotions. That has clearly hurt the team's performance, especially this season. That's too much change.