2013 defense

Decked

i think it will be very rough to start the year because there is very little experience in the front seven hopefully by the time conference play starts things will be worked out, i'm really looking forward to the young linebacker and defensive linemen you guys rave about especially Valentine we need someone in the middle to stop the run havent really had someone like that since Suh

320+ lbs is a big guy, I'm wondering though how well and quick he will be able to move around.

i was wondering the same thing, also whether or not he could be an every down guy it kind of reminds me of johnathan hankins from ohio state it tokk him a while to become a every down player because of conditioning

With all the spots available on the defensive side of the ball next year who starts? And what are your expectations for them next year? I think a top 20 defense Is a good possibility given the schedule and the lack of true playmakers we will play.

What good is a top 20 ranking if the only reason you are there is due to your cupcake schedule? This is like Notre Dame getting thrashed in bowl games for about an entire decade. Consistenly overrated only to be exposed in a bowl game they shouldnt be in. A high ranking doesnt mean squat if the sole reason of the ranking is due to weak opponents.

You play the hand that is dealt to you. It is what it is. You can't pick and choose your opponents.

Right now, I think we have as big a problem with scheme as we do talent. It looks like each and every player has to solve the equivalent of a Sudoku puzzle plus a little bit of trig to figure out what his assignment truly is if someone moves on the other side of the ball. The biggest, fastest, strongest players can be neutralized if they are frozen in place because they are afraid to make a mistake.

We had guys playing at the end of the season still looking at each other with that "What the Heck!?" expression on their faces. I predict same expression, different faces next year...

I feel encouraged about guys like Vincent Valentine, Michael Rose, Jared Afalava, Thomas Brown, Greg McMullen, Charles Jackson.. then look at some of guys we've recruited. Josh Banderas, Randy Gregory, Marcus McWilson, Marcus Newby, Courtney Love, A.J. Natter... This is some really good young talent. We won't know for sure until the hit the field. But I am optimistic.

Need to need to need to need to sign no less than 3 JUCO DTs. I like what we have in terms of young talent at Linebacker, but the problem is that we will be very young and inexperienced at that position. Talented, physical and fast, but inexperienced.

Exactly what we need. Don't forget about Curry and Valentine though. What we need is an edge rusher to try and fill in for Caveman. Besides Moss and Ankrah who do we have at DE? Hopefully incoming 2013 JUCO DE Randy Gregory can provide some sort of pass rush.

I predict Gregory to be our best Pass Rushing DE next year. I also have high hopes for Moss.

I like what we have brought in in certain areas since '10. But it became painfully obvious the lack of depth we have on the DL and OL the other night. There was a clear big time drop off without Baker in the game.

Linebacker recruiting has been very good in the past few classes. They say Thomas Brown was good enough to start for us this year as well. He is good, but whenever a true freshman that arrived to campus late could be a top two or three linebacker on your team you know you have depth issues there. That is all.

Right now, I think we have as big a problem with scheme as we do talent. It looks like each and every player has to solve the equivalent of a Sudoku puzzle plus a little bit of trig to figure out what his assignment truly is if someone moves on the other side of the ball. The biggest, fastest, strongest players can be neutralized if they are frozen in place because they are afraid to make a mistake.

We had guys playing at the end of the season still looking at each other with that "What the Heck!?" expression on their faces. I predict same expression, different faces next year...

This is what I was going to post as soon as I read the OP. Unless the coaches can gameplan better and make adjustments during the game, it's not going to matter much who's on the field.

------------Ankrah-------Valentine-------JUCO (?)/Curry/Rome-----------Moss---------------

------------------Brown/Z. Anderson----------M. Rose-----------Afalava/Santos----------

------C. Jackson/Mitchell------Ciante (Nickel)------H. Jackson------Cooper------J. Rose-------

i hope someone passes Ankrah on the depth chart, i know a lot of the things defensive linemen do dont show up on the stat sheet but this guys numbers havent been very good hopefully he can pick up his performance next year because he seems like a good guy i've never heard a bad thing about him

I think if you watch the film, he's one of the only D Linemen on the team that doesn't get shoved back 10 yards on a consistent basis. If you want him to have more impressive numbers, Bo needs to get rid of the 2-gap garbage that his DL runs.

I think that scheme hurts our recruiting on the D-Line A LOT. Not gonna lie, if I'm a high profile DT or DE, I wouldn't want to play in a scheme where my coach wants me to play pattycake with the offensive lineman all game. It's BS and it doesn't work. That's the absolute #1 thing that needs to change about this team schematically. There are not enough defenders on the field ro make it successful. If we were to switch to a 3-4, I think you could make a 2-gap work, but with a 4-3, too many of our defenders are non-factors in the play.

I think if you watch the film, he's one of the only D Linemen on the team that doesn't get shoved back 10 yards on a consistent basis. If you want him to have more impressive numbers, Bo needs to get rid of the 2-gap garbage that his DL runs.

I think that scheme hurts our recruiting on the D-Line A LOT. Not gonna lie, if I'm a high profile DT or DE, I wouldn't want to play in a scheme where my coach wants me to play pattycake with the offensive lineman all game. It's BS and it doesn't work. That's the absolute #1 thing that needs to change about this team schematically. There are not enough defenders on the field ro make it successful. If we were to switch to a 3-4, I think you could make a 2-gap work, but with a 4-3, too many of our defenders are non-factors in the play.

good points and well put