To Kenny or not to Kenny

tmfr15

It was a legal hit and a good one.

Conact was made to the front shoulder, no helmet involved and the player was not in any position to believe himself to be defenseless, he was the one chasing down the ballcarrier for crying out loud.

Yep. Guy was running full speed down the field, Kenny got in the way and led with his shoulder. The hit was brutal because he was going full speed and got blocked. What was Kenny supposed to do?

Now about just walling the defender off, the defender was going full boar, which means if Bell just tries to slow him down, we would have gotten blown up, risking injury to himself.

Also , this. The idea that Kenny should have just nonchalantly "gotten in his way" is asking for Kenny to get full on trucked.

I've been trying for the last several minutes to come up with something to say in response to this thread that doesn't attack the OP. It's really difficult.

I'm ashamed that some members of our fan base have sunk to the point where we would rather call out our own players for making what amounts to a perfectly clean block while at the same time failing to even mention the fact that our quarterback was body-slammed in the same game and no flag was thrown.

Utterly embarrassing, but it's indicative of how many of our fans feel about this team.

• Fire 4

If you're a D-linemen and a pulling guard takes your head off during run play, but you weren't looking, is it a flag? NO!! Because you're within STRIKING DISTANCE, and LOOKING for the ball carrier, you are therefore not defenseless. Was he hit in the back? NO! Was he 20+ yards away from the play? NO! Was he hit in the head whatsoever? NO! I can't believe the amount of dumb people that think it should've been flagged (yes, I am attacking the OP). You cannot flag something because of speed.

What we saw from Kenny on that block is the kind of intensity this team needs ACROSS THE BOARD.

There was nothing at all wrong with that block. The guy had an angle on Jamal. Kenny did exactly what he was supposed to do. It's a shame the guy got hurt from it, but that clearly wasn't Kenny's intention. It's football, injuries happen.

I've been trying for the last several minutes to come up with something to say in response to this thread that doesn't attack the OP. It's really difficult.

I'm ashamed that some members of our fan base have sunk to the point where we would rather call out our own players for making what amounts to a perfectly clean block while at the same time failing to even mention the fact that our quarterback was body-slammed in the same game and no flag was thrown.

Utterly embarrassing, but it's indicative of how many of our fans feel about this team.

Its sad when my boss, a Badger fan, says the same thing lol.

Its sad when my boss, a Badger fan, says the same thing lol.

Every Badger fan in my section agreed that it was a clean, but brutal, block. They were still happy to get the TD called back.

Let me preface my comments by typing that Kenny Bell is one of my favorite players on the team. He brings that fun and competitive spirit to the game and he's fun to watch.

Now on to business....

Kenny's hit in the Big 10 Championship came up on Big Red Wrap Up tonight and the guys on the set, Blake and Adrian, said they felt the hit was one of the greatest they have seen and had no problem with it. Sorry, but I have to call homer on this one.

We can argue the penalty all day, but I am on the spirit of the rule here. Kenny hit a guy who didn't know a hit was coming. Not only did he hit a guy who wasn't looking, but he brutally leveled the guy.

I really think that these hits have to be taken out of the game. Tackling and blocking often involves collisions that can not be stopped and, quite frankly, that is why the guys were the gear they do (although a lot of them choose not to wear all of said gear).

As I am watching the play, I am thinking Kenny could have come under control there and basically walled off or disrupted the defender's path to Turner without laying him out like that.

As I said before, I like Kenny and I certainly would not want to see him go across the field on a shallow cross, look up for an elevated pass and get leveled by a defender.

I think sometimes people either get beat on plays and try to make up for it with brutality. Or they think they are sending a message by being brutal.

I don't think it's necessary and I was disappointed in the take by not only Adrian but also by a guy like Blake who had to quit because of excessive head injuries.

Gtfo. Why was the Wisconsin player running down the field with his eyes closed? Kenny hit him from the front. Do you have to run down field with a yellow flag yelling I'm going to try and lay you out before you block someone now? Come on you are talking foolish.

If we could, it would be easy to rewind this play and have Kenny push this guy out of bounds without lowering the boom on him. A two-handed shove gets him out of bounds and away from Turner without rendering him unconscience for 15 minutes or so.

You guys go ahead, keep wanting for these hits. Keep saying that guys need to....keep their head on a swivel. Someday, football won't be tackle anymore. It won't even be touch. It simply won't be at all. People are going to get tired of watching their loved ones turn into Jim McMahon by the age of 35.

Personally, I see much of this brutality as being akin to walking into the bar, walking up to a guy that has his back to you, tapping him on the shoulder and punching him in the face. Then, upon being told what a coward I am, I will just say, "He knew I didn't like him and that I might be coming to this bar tonight. He should have KEPT HIS HEAD ON A SWIVEL!

Now about just walling the defender off, the defender was going full boar, which means if Bell just tries to slow him down, he would have gotten blown up, risking injury to himself.

THIS! It was essentially kill or be killed in that scenario. He had no other choice.

Wasn't Kenny going FULL BOAR as well. Weren't they headed in roughly the SAME DIRECTION. This is like saying trading paint in a NASCAR race is the same thing as a HEAD ON collision. Right, that makes total sense there.

Now about just walling the defender off, the defender was going full boar, which means if Bell just tries to slow him down, he would have gotten blown up, risking injury to himself.

THIS! It was essentially kill or be killed in that scenario. He had no other choice.

Wasn't Kenny going FULL BOAR as well. Weren't they headed in roughly the SAME DIRECTION. This is like saying trading paint in a NASCAR race is the same thing as a HEAD ON collision. Right, that makes total sense there.

No. He wasn't. He just lit the guy up, and it was clean. Get over it. One of the biggest positives from the entire game, and you're on here bitching about it.

See, guys?! THIS is why we can't have nice things!!!

Let me preface my comments by typing that Kenny Bell is one of my favorite players on the team. He brings that fun and competitive spirit to the game and he's fun to watch.

Now on to business....

Kenny's hit in the Big 10 Championship came up on Big Red Wrap Up tonight and the guys on the set, Blake and Adrian, said they felt the hit was one of the greatest they have seen and had no problem with it. Sorry, but I have to call homer on this one.

We can argue the penalty all day, but I am on the spirit of the rule here. Kenny hit a guy who didn't know a hit was coming. Not only did he hit a guy who wasn't looking, but he brutally leveled the guy.

I really think that these hits have to be taken out of the game. Tackling and blocking often involves collisions that can not be stopped and, quite frankly, that is why the guys were the gear they do (although a lot of them choose not to wear all of said gear).

As I am watching the play, I am thinking Kenny could have come under control there and basically walled off or disrupted the defender's path to Turner without laying him out like that.

As I said before, I like Kenny and I certainly would not want to see him go across the field on a shallow cross, look up for an elevated pass and get leveled by a defender.

I think sometimes people either get beat on plays and try to make up for it with brutality. Or they think they are sending a message by being brutal.

I don't think it's necessary and I was disappointed in the take by not only Adrian but also by a guy like Blake who had to quit because of excessive head injuries.

Gtfo. Why was the Wisconsin player running down the field with his eyes closed? Kenny hit him from the front. Do you have to run down field with a yellow flag yelling I'm going to try and lay you out before you block someone now? Come on you are talking foolish.

I think you've got the major difference there. Are you trying to LAY THE GUY OUT. Or are you trying to block him. If a block results in a big collision, that's one thing. But something tells me that people are running down the field thinking about LAYING PEOPLE OUT as in not just blocking them out of the play, but blocking them out of playing for the rest of the game. That's not cool at all. And it needs to stop.