What will it take for B1G schools to open their wallets

And Polar I don't think you are full of it. You just didn't know some of the things going on with the OL. It is ok no worries. These things were all done to try to shore up the OL and save Barney some face. Isn't working out too well so he will find a comfy new office in the AD.

and you do! you post some of the most retarded sh#t I’ve ever seen. :leghump: :leghump:

Stai helps the OL: correct

Milt consults the OL coaches: correct

Garrison+Stai+Milt= 3 persons helping Cotton: correct

Our OL play overall has sucked: correct

We need to hire a solid OL coach and recruiter: correct

Tell me where I am speculating?

You really don't get it. do you. the hole thing

I know you don't understand but Stai in an intern, so that means he gets all the fun jobs and that's not coaching. Milt live in AZ, so how does he show up here all the time to consult the OL coaches all the time. Garrison was hired as a second coach, (no one else) As far as the last part of it, your a TROLL.

Provide facts.

I don't know how many times I have to tell you...Stai is an intern correct! That works with the OL. Ask guys on the OL! They will freaking tell you. Milt has talked to Barney on several occasions. I forgot they don't have phones or computers in AZ.

I have said nothing that makes me a troll. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't make you a troll. But if resorting to name calling makes you feel big, go for it.

C'mon man...your o-line doesn't suck if you're the #1 offense in the BIG10 along with a top 5 rated rushing offense. Yeah, the o-line has played inconsistent at times....but by the numbers, NEB has a solid o-line. It doesn't suck.

Ranked 8th in rushing 254 yds/gm

Blown out twice and the OL didn't help in those games. Does Nevada have a better OL than us? Army? Air Force? Georgia Tech? New Mexico? What all these teams have in common? We all ran the ball over 600 times

Inconsistent OL play is bad OL play. Odd how our team in general is inconsistent...we must just recruit inconsistent players...can't be anything else.

A few combative responses in this thread. Good deal, we need to apply, as much as we can as fans and donors, some pressure to get things looked at. And changed if necessary.

I am really not sure we need to have wholesale changes anywhere. The lines are in deep trouble at times this year, I do not think anyone has disputed that. However, I may differ on what to do about it, at least in regards to some opinions.

I believe we have a combination of problems that includes lack of player discipline, lack of coaching, and lack of both players and coaches in terms of communication.

None of this, IMHO, requires firing coaches. Necessarily. Maybe that is the long-term answer, but I think we should start with obvious solutions. Line coaches should be sent to immediately consult with their peers at schools with successful line play. And sent to someone/somewhere to learn how to better communicate the ideas they gain to the team.

If we need to make changes after next year, then let's do so.

But, to get back to the original point of the OP:

The B1G remains the most lucrative conference. I have read many reports that suggest 40 mil per year, per school after the new TV deal goes through. We are a money-making machine. We need to pay our assistants based on that. We make more than the SEC, The PAC, the Big 12, everyone. The argument that we do not have to, simply because the money will be there no matter what, falls flat with me. If the conference stinks for too long, we could end up regarded as low as the Big East or ACC.

Invest money to make money. The cash is rolling in, the conference needs to use some of it on hiring (and retaining) the best assistants in the nation. Instead of losing our best to the SEC, we should be luring them away from the SEC.

For Nebraska, we are still in transition to the B1G, from lighter players and a huge emphasis on speed over strength. We need to be more balanced. But our recruiting HAS to improve on both lines. We are getting killed there, at least in some games.

Finally, games like what we had in the CCG really DO suck. But it could be as simple as this: A few kids had a bad night. Which caused other kids to grow a bit despondent and also have a bad night. And it spread like a plague as we approached halftime. It happens. It sucks, but these ARE kids, as much as many of us want to think otherwise and are too wrapped up in the game, the legacy, the hunt for MNC's.

Sometimes it really IS inexplicable, and things just break down, seemingly for no reason at all.

TLDR: We should pay more, recruit better, and communicate better.

• Fire 1

i believe some are jumping the gun a bit too fast, our line play on both sides has not been great for a couple years in fact i dont thing the o line play has been good since b4 callahan, however we are in a transition this time to a new conference and only second year with spread offense. Now we should start seeing improvement sooner,if not the next year or so then i say start looking.soooo...right now they have a pass with me hopefully we can make some improvements b4 the bowl game and much imporvement next year

prove it.

Good god man, you've gone of the deep end. Get some perspective. Hedley will soon realize that arguing w/ you is like arguing the existence of God w/ an atheist. All they will say is "prove it" or "provide facts"

Just because you're Cotton's son, or mom, or mistress doesn't mean you have to lose complete perspective. Face the reality that is our deficient OLine.

I'm starting to get the impression that the Big Ten is more interested in being a basketball conference.

When the head coach of the championship team is fleeing to a dumpster fire SEC program, with a storied history of being a dead end coaching destination, there's obviously a problem here.

It's possible we're waving the white flag to the SEC.

Here's a nice list someone put together on reddit of revenue and profit among college football programs. pretty interesting.

http://www.reddit.co...bn3xb?context=3

then gave some insight on those stats:

Some interesting information to gather from this.

The only schools that had a net athletic profit that was greater than the net football profit (and greater than 0) were:

Ohio University

Florida State

Ohio State

UNLV

Bowling Green

San Jose State

Wake Forest

Marshall

Arizona

UAB

Fresno State

Louisiana-Monroe

Louisiana Tech

The following schools football programs actually lost money, while all other sports kept them at a net gain of zero, or made them money.

Nevada-Reno

Central Michigan

UCH

Connecitcut

Tulsa

Hawaii

Kansas

Georgia had the biggest negative differential, with a football profit of 52.3, and a net athletic profit of 2.7, for a swing of 49.6 million dollars. That means that football got all that extra money, and keeps the other sports at Georgia afloat.

Kansas had the greatest positive differential, with a football profit of -5.3 and a net athletic profit of 0, for a swing of 5.3 million dollars. DAT BASKETBALL.

The greatest positive differential for a school that both made money on football AND on Olympic sports was Ohio University. While its football program only profited .8 million, its total athletic profit was 4.3, for a staggering 3.5 million dollars brought in by Olympic sports. Can someone weigh in for OU about which teams make that much money?

The greatest positive differential for a school that both made money on football AND on Olympic sports was Ohio University. While its football program only profited .8 million, its total athletic profit was 4.3, for a staggering 3.5 million dollars brought in by Olympic sports. Can someone weigh in for OU about which teams make that much money?

Keep in mind when you are talking profit you aren't just talking revenue but expenses as well. My assumption is that a college basketball coach at Ohio is likely paid in the 100k range, many of the other HCs are sitting below 6 figures. Costs are certainly nothing in comparison to a larger institution.

It also seems that lately athletic revenue is solely used for athletic purposes. These are non-profit institutions operating $100 million revenue generating departments and they have to end up at net 0 somehow. Best way to do that, and ensure you continue to increase the revenue stream is to reinvest. The goal isn't to be profitable.

If the day ever comes they take away that non-profit status and allow cash/distributions and whatever other things would come along with being just another corporation i'm sure the landscape of college football/ahtletics would turn really quickly, and things would be run far more business-like.