If we lose the bowl game, it won't be the defense's fault

Sometimes I forget how young the posters on this board are.

How is anything I've said a reflection of my age? I'm not claiming to have the answer or be right, it's just my interpretation. We all have different interpretations of our observations.

Also, it seems a lot of people think I'm blaming the losses in our season on the O-line. The broader message I was trying to get across is that if an O-line is dominant, they lessen the impact of other team deficiencies, including a shoddy defense. They extend drives consistently so that the defense is not on the field as much to get exposed, and make scoring and matching opponents' scores easier. I don't think ours is dominant this year but it has been very serviceable: great in run blocking and average, at best, in pass blocking. I don't think under Barney we will ever really see dominant lines like the 90's. I know replicating the 90's success as a team will never be achieved but I don't see any reason why we can't reload the pipeline and keep it on the level of the 90's year in and year out.

I don't know about others but I do not expect to win this game and don't foresee a huge meltdown based on simply losing the game. Now, if we play like we did in the CCG, then Katy bar the doors. If we play reasonably well (meaning better than most of the season) and keep it respectable, that should be enough to keep it relatively sane around here. IMO Georgia is one of the top 3 teams in the country. By all accounts they should win.

I think that we'll give them a good game, but the chances of us winning is a coin flip. Those kids are gonna come out on fire due to what happened in the CCG...

Polo,

Never heard the whole story, but the guy was a moron. New Weasel cut him off some, and said that the reason that Nebraska lost was not on the QB shoulders, some blame, but it is a team sport.

I was just wondering if anyone else heard it.

You said it best skersfan by question the legitimacy of being a player's father. Hell, there's still a guy that call's into SportNightly every now and then that still doenst believe in Rex Burkhead. Some folks are just assenine.

And..................................? It is the coaches responsibility to make sure the defense is what it is supposed to be! "And you guys thought I could not coach against the run?" What the hell is that? The Defense did not show up at the Championship game. What make yous think it will be present when we go to Florida? Some slight of hand magic?

My bad, Goal-line. I thought you were taking shots at the OP for it not being his place to address problems with the team.

No arguments with what you said here.

I caught a few minutes of the Jack Arute show this morning. They were talking about the CC game how that was not anything normal. I guy called and said he was the father of one of the defensive kids (yea sure). He said the team has not quit on Bo, but on Taylor.

I have not seen that. Did anyone else hear the whole snippet on this. I would like to know why it came up, how it started.

I didn't hear it either. However, if the team has given up on Martinez I'd assume we see more games comparable to the Texas game a few years back where every receiver on the team had hands of stone. Or, we'd see more games like Iowa State a few years back where every player on the team treated the football like a hot potato. However, I wouldn't totally rule it out. If one goes back to the Ohio State game, we were winning that game in the first quarter and the defense was playing pretty good. After a couple of Martinez INT's, the game got out of hand. Ohio State got a TD to cut the score to seven. Martinez throws his second INT. Our defense lays down. Ohio State goes on to score four more TD's in a row. In the CCG, Martinez threw a pic six early and the defense never showed up. I'm not saying any of this is happening, but in the blowout losses early miscues by the offense do tend to lead to defensive meltdowns.

I think some of that is the tempo of the game. We have an undermanned defensive line. We should not be doing a hurry up offense if it is not working or we have seen flaws in the game plan. These kids just get tired because they are on the field so much, 3 and outs or interceptions put them under terrible preasure not only from the game but physically to.

Why won't this thread die?

Yes, we have more 3 and outs than we'd like. Frankly we'd prefer zero 3 and outs, like everyone else.

But as an offense that averages 450 yards and 35 points a game, we're doing something right a lot of the time, and for every turnover that puts our defense in the hole, the defense has spotted the offense a touchdown or four, making it hard to run that grind it out run game you like so well.