Stai

If we are planning to move any coach to get another one, please hire one with a significant amount of experience. This training ground stuff has got to stop. Also saw that 2 recruits, Cook (switched to Bama) and Love (now reconsidering) since Marrow left. With Cotton coaching while Bo is on the road, no one on this staff is going anywhere.

Sad when one of our better "coaches" and "recruiters" is a GA. Kind of like 3 walk-ons starting over the 20 schollie OL kids........................

Lo Country's point is well made. As Husker fans, we love our walk on program and all the kids that have done so much for us here over many years, but to have scholly guys on the roster and have so many walk ons taking those positions is a concern. You would hope that the scholly guys would be your starters with a few exceptions and that the walks would give you depth.

Cotton has done an excellent job with the line on his own. Looking at next year's roster, we're gonna have road-grader quality linemen and at least two draft picks.

Or not.

SO much talent in so many positions on that side of the ball. But the most important unit looks thin yet AGAIN. (Just a rather pointless toss off here, QB is the most important position on O to me, and the line is the most important unit. And if I could have all-world talent at QB or across the line, I'll take the line, every time.)

Hell, Jackson definitely proved me wrong. I thought starting a guy at center who was playing D-line the year before spelled death, and that kid had a nice season. I'm just uncharacteristically pessimistic overall lately it seems...and I still feel like, when you look at our roster, the O-line is going to be an average unit next year. No better.

• Fire 1

If we are planning to move any coach to get another one, please hire one with a significant amount of experience. This training ground stuff has got to stop. Also saw that 2 recruits, Cook (switched to Bama) and Love (now reconsidering) since Marrow left. With Cotton coaching while Bo is on the road, no one on this staff is going anywhere.

Sad when one of our better "coaches" and "recruiters" is a GA. Kind of like 3 walk-ons starting over the 20 schollie OL kids........................

That's the thing. The GA position is a training position to begin with. Getting Stai in as a GA would be leveraging experience that most GA's wouldn't have. The Marrow situation was similar. Stai has a significant amount of knowledge about this program, the current offense and the OL. Plus has a lot of post college OL experience. Getting him on the field as a GA would be nice. It's very difficult to hire a GA with lots of experience. You can't hire a regular coach without letting one go. They are trying to replace a GA for a GA. It will be difficult to find a GA that has the TE position as his forte. Plus most of the time GA's don't handle a full position. That's why I would slide Garrison over.

^And the point of that is the O-line has been marginal for an extended period of time. Cotton has not shown the ability to produce upper-tier performances from the position. He's had plenty of time. More than enough.

I don't agree with this at all. The offensive line has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years. I'm not sure of the stats, but we're one of the top rushing teams in the nation, in a conference that's loaded with quality linebackers. That flat out does not happen with a "marginal" offensive line.

We're definitely not where we were in the 90s, but we probably have a top 10 offensive line in the nation. That's something that takes a hit with the loss of Jackson, however.

Cook has always been using us until he got the Bama offer that he's always wanted. It wasn't a shock to anyone who follows recruiting.

Courtney Love is as solid as can be, he said that he was reconsidering for maybe a good 5 hours.

^And the point of that is the O-line has been marginal for an extended period of time. Cotton has not shown the ability to produce upper-tier performances from the position. He's had plenty of time. More than enough.

I don't agree with this at all. The offensive line has improved by leaps and bounds over the last few years. I'm not sure of the stats, but we're one of the top rushing teams in the nation, in a conference that's loaded with quality linebackers. That flat out does not happen with a "marginal" offensive line.

We're definitely not where we were in the 90s, but we probably have a top 10 offensive line in the nation. That's something that takes a hit with the loss of Jackson, however.

That I absolutely do agree with. And that improvement seemed to correlate directly with the arrival of Stai and Garrison to help with the position. Coincidence? Possibly. (Not sarcastic, it IS potentially coincidental.)

No question the line improved from the '09 constant false start/holding nightmares. I'm inclined to give Garrison and Stai a significant portion of the credit for that. Just my opinion, though. (Obviously.)

Cook has always been using us until he got the Bama offer that he's always wanted. It wasn't a shock to anyone who follows recruiting.

Courtney Love is as solid as can be, he said that he was reconsidering for maybe a good 5 hours.

I do not follow it that closely. By your comment, it appears the staff doesn't either. Offer a kid that everyone knows is using it to get the Bama offer and we still did? Kind of stupid on our part.

I do not follow it that closely. By your comment, it appears the staff doesn't either. Offer a kid that everyone knows is using it to get the Bama offer and we still did? Kind of stupid on our part.

If you don't follow it, then I suggest you stop commenting on it.

That I absolutely do agree with. And that improvement seemed to correlate directly with the arrival of Stai and Garrison to help with the position. Coincidence? Possibly. (Not sarcastic, it IS potentially coincidental.)

No question the line improved from the '09 constant false start/holding nightmares. I'm inclined to give Garrison and Stai a significant portion of the credit for that. Just my opinion, though. (Obviously.)

Just because people like to believe that, doesn't make it true.

It's clear that Barney is a scapegoat, and many aren't willing to give him credit regardless of how well his group performs.

They kept his scholarship just in case he never got the offer. Because if he didn't he was coming here. It didn't affect our situation with other corner backs such as Dashon Hunt and Priest Willis. So, it was neither smart or stupid by that staff. If you don't follow it then stop making assumptions.

their arrival also coincided with another assistant's leaving.

They kept his scholarship just in case he never got the offer. Because if he didn't he was coming here. It didn't affect our situation with other corner backs such as Dashon Hunt and Priest Willis. So, it was neither smart or stupid by that staff. If you don't follow it then stop making assumptions.

My comment about stupidity on our part was aimed at offering a kid who "was using our offer to leverage Bama". This wasn't a shock to anyone who follows recruiting. Again, if this was "common" knowledge by the internet recruiting gurus, I would assume this was common knowledge of our staff as well. Again, IMO, stupid to offer a kid that everyone knew was using us to get a Bama offer. Or to offer a kid who has no real intention of wanting to play here.

And if thinks hadn't worked out at Bama, you know he was coming here how exactly? Have you spoken with him directly during the recruiting process? If not, I guess that would just be an assumption on your part. I mean he said he was coming here and all........Must be a fact. Like Gabbert, Freeman, etc...............