Gun Control

Roark

Total ban on semi-automatics (zero need for these, ever, for any reason)

Stricter rules/penalties regarding unregistered and illegal guns

But for f#*k's sake, if you have a handgun or a hunting rifle or what have you, that's one of the basic rights of living in our nation. Guns do not cause these incidents, troubled people do. Better education, mental health awareness, community outreach, and firearm education is the better solution. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

So The Feds are going to confiscate all 38 million semi-automatic firearms currently in the US? I'd be surprised if most Americans willingly hand over their weapons. I assume you'll be ready to fund the building of many new prisons, as the ones we currently have are already near capacity with non-violent offenders.

• Ban on the sale and manufacture of semi-autos and their accessories
  • Seizure of any semi-automatic used in any illegal act
  • Govermnent offers to buy a semi-automatic at a more-than-fair price from any owner who wishes to sell

Boom, easy. It'd take awhile but they'd be phased out

(edit, nice strawman you added at the end there too. things like that are why nearly every political discussion gets out of hand)

Violence in Movies\TV\Video Games

• I got a Nintendo for Christmas when I was in first grade. I sucked at Mario Bros then and never really got into gaming. Duke Nukem came out when I was in College. As I watch commericials for games that glorify stealing cars and killing people I can't help but wonder what is the effect of this.
  • I remember watching Natural Born Killers when I was in my early 20's. I could never figure out why we would pay to watch such garbage.

This music and video game crap is tiresome. They've been around long enough that if they have some effect on people then half the nation would be crazed serial killers/thieves/assassins/plumbers. Music epitomizes life, it's more an account of one's culture and surroundings than a call to that type of life. Although it can be used for that. People bring these these two issues up but yet they worship 2000+ year old texts that give accounts of war, mass murder, and other violence at time glorifying it in the name of their god.

Equally as tiresome as saying gun control will eliminate random violence. I don't think Tim McVey or the hundreds of rejects that have walked into Jewish schools and public places to blow themselves up had a gun.

My point is, and continues to be that there are multiple things that need to be evaluated. Our society is messed up. It is fairly easy to get guns. Did I say our society is messed up?

But for f#*k's sake, if you have a handgun or a hunting rifle or what have you, that's one of the basic rights of living in our nation. Guns do not cause these incidents, troubled people do. Better education, mental health awareness, community outreach, and firearm education is the better solution. Treat the disease, not the symptoms.

So The Feds are going to confiscate all 38 million semi-automatic firearms currently in the US? I'd be surprised if most Americans willingly hand over their weapons. I assume you'll be ready to fund the building of many new prisons, as the ones we currently have are already near capacity with non-violent offenders.

I volunteer Roark to ring the doorbell and request that people give up their guns. If he isn't available, then I elect that Hadley guy.

Hilarious.

I'm really not into stealing people's property. But one thing's for sure, if someone's going to go around collecting everyone's weapons, I hope to God it's not you...

By the media yes, but there are plenty of people who are focusing on mental health issues instead. I've been on medications for depression and anxiety and experienced first-hand how much they can f#*k you up. We're an overmedicated society and a good portion of the time the pills make things worse. Between that and exposure to violence in the news(TV, video games, music etc.) day after day we wind up with what we've seen in the past 15 years.

I volunteer Roark to ring the doorbell and request that people give up their guns. If he isn't available, then I elect that Hadley guy.

Hilarious.

I'm really not into stealing people's property. But one thing's for sure, if someone's going to go around collecting everyone's weapons, I hope to God it's not you...

By the media yes, but there are plenty of people who are focusing on mental health issues instead. I've been on medications for depression and anxiety and experienced first-hand how much they can f#*k you up. We're an overmedicated society and a good portion of the time the pills make things worse. Between that and exposure to violence in the news(TV, video games, music etc.) day after day we wind up with what we've seen in the past 15 years.

Yeah that little anxiety problem of mine would result in some crappy collection numbers I guess. Especially since most of it stems from concerns about my health.

• I got a Nintendo for Christmas when I was in first grade. I sucked at Mario Bros then and never really got into gaming. Duke Nukem came out when I was in College. As I watch commericials for games that glorify stealing cars and killing people I can't help but wonder what is the effect of this.
  • I remember watching Natural Born Killers when I was in my early 20's. I could never figure out why we would pay to watch such garbage.

Might as well correlate owning a TV to things too. Violent crime has declined as 'violent' games and movies have grown.

'Violent' games track from the 90's. And violent crime has decreased every single year since 1992

http://www.ucrdatato...ndsInOneVar.cfm

Just because you don't 'get it' don't presume to speak for the tens of millions in this country alone.

What the hell are you talking about?

This music and video game crap is tiresome. They've been around long enough that if they have some effect on people then half the nation would be crazed serial killers/thieves/assassins/plumbers. Music epitomizes life, it's more an account of one's culture and surroundings than a call to that type of life. Although it can be used for that. People bring these these two issues up but yet they worship 2000+ year old texts that give accounts of war, mass murder, and other violence at time glorifying it in the name of their god.

Plumbers?

Mario was mentioned, just some sarcastic humor.

Plumbers?

Mario was mentioned, just some sarcastic humor.

LOL sorry I missed that

Equally as tiresome as saying gun control will eliminate random violence. I don't think Tim McVey or the hundreds of rejects that have walked into Jewish schools and public places to blow themselves up had a gun.

My point is, and continues to be that there are multiple things that need to be evaluated. Our society is messed up. It is fairly easy to get guns. Did I say our society is messed up?

Yet, violence is apparently at an all time low here and around the world. You say our society is messed up, well I would argue that we as humans are messed up. Arguably this is a reflection of human nature more than our society, since it's been happening since the dawn of time. These things occur all over the world in other countries on a regular basis. It's not a reflection of the times or our society, it's just a reflection of humanity.

Whether that's good or bad I couldn't tell you, but it's who we are.

Gun Control, get the illegal guns and the guns that are owned by criminals and those with violent criminal backgrounds first. Dont' bother your average joe and berate him because he is a gun owner...

Great policy. And you would define an 'average joe' how?

No criminal record and no mental illness. Very simple.

Yeah, I thought that was pretty clear and concise...

Banning all guns is not the answer. But having a more rigorous and extensive background check on people who own or plan on owning a firearm is a possible solution.

I've not seen many people suggest a complete ban on guns. Why everyone wants to immediately suggest otherwise, I don't understand. What I have seen people suggest is that a weapon like a .223 semiautomatic Bushmaster Rifle, with a clip that carries 20 or 50 rounds, should be banned.

bushmaster223_0.jpg

Why ban that? Rifles are only used in 4% of gun crimes. Hand guns are used the vast majority of the time.

I'm for a ban on all semiautomatic and automatic weapons. I can't fathom a legitimate reason as to why someone would need a semi-automatic rifle with two 30 round magazines.

FYI - that is the same rifle used by the DC area snipers.

The reason I am buying one of those and a shotgun is that I'm currently in one of the top 5 worst crime area's in the state of New Jersey. I'm not keen on some wanna be gang banger strolling up into my house with his "gat". I'd rather have something bigger than the a'hole coming in my house to do harm to my family and myself...

I don't know what the right answer is as far as the gun control debate is concerned. I'm not a believer in making it so strict that your average "Joe" can't get a weapon. You only keep the weapons out of the law abiding citizens hands and criminals and nut jobs will always find a way to get them. Just the way it is..............................I am a firm believer in taking schools out of the "weapon free zone" for people that have a CCW. No, I don't think little Joey should be able to carry a knife on the grounds if he wants to, screw him. I'm talking about people that have went through the process to get a CCW and this would further allow the argument on whether to arm teachers or not to happen. It's already happened in a small district in Texas, but they started talking about it last October! I believe that teachers should be allowed to carry if the district allows it, state law allows it, and they attend the proper training to show they are proficient with their firearm. It's the ONLY way to help stop the violence on some level and even then, it won't stop it completely. There are several layers to stop these events from occurring and it starts with our nations mental health care. So start there as that has long-term effects, you might see the effects 10 to 15 years down the road or longer, but our mental health care is a joke! People that have CCW's aren't the ones shooting places up and doing a bunch of stupid crap. They've done the things necessary to be able to carry their weapons to protect themselves and their families and aren't going to screw that up. I would much rather have a teacher there with a weapon that can do something about it than wait the few minutes for a cop to show up and do something about it. You can save A LOT of lives in those few minutes....................In Sandyville from the time the officers were dispatched to the time they arrived was 3 minutes, at 5 minutes they were notified of shooting occurring in the office and at 7 minutes the event was over.

I don't know what the right answer is as far as the gun control debate is concerned. I'm not a believer in making it so strict that your average "Joe" can't get a weapon. You only keep the weapons out of the law abiding citizens hands and criminals and nut jobs will always find a way to get them. Just the way it is..............................I am a firm believer in taking schools out of the "weapon free zone" for people that have a CCW. No, I don't think little Joey should be able to carry a knife on the grounds if he wants to, screw him. I'm talking about people that have went through the process to get a CCW and this would further allow the argument on whether to arm teachers or not to happen. It's already happened in a small district in Texas, but they started talking about it last October! I believe that teachers should be allowed to carry if the district allows it, state law allows it, and they attend the proper training to show they are proficient with their firearm. It's the ONLY way to help stop the violence on some level and even then, it won't stop it completely. There are several layers to stop these events from occurring and it starts with our nations mental health care. So start there as that has long-term effects, you might see the effects 10 to 15 years down the road or longer, but our mental health care is a joke! People that have CCW's aren't the ones shooting places up and doing a bunch of stupid crap. They've done the things necessary to be able to carry their weapons to protect themselves and their families and aren't going to screw that up. I would much rather have a teacher there with a weapon that can do something about it than wait the few minutes for a cop to show up and do something about it. You can save A LOT of lives in those few minutes....................In Sandyville from the time the officers were dispatched to the time they arrived was 3 minutes, at 5 minutes they were notified of shooting occurring in the office and at 7 minutes the event was over.

post-4100-0-93222400-1355758290.jpg

What age limit? Seems like all the nutbars that kill people are under 25. Should we not impose an age limit as well?

And any of this would of stopped the massacre in Newtown how? He tried to buy a gun and was stopped, by current laws. If I read it correctly he murdered his mother and took her lawfully purchased guns. Please explain how anything you are talking about would of helped.

I don't think it would have. That's the point I've been trying to make. It just pisses me off when people oversimplify the issue (Stigori).

What we have is people pissed off/sad/depressed about this tragedy and they want something done about it. So, they think that tightening gun laws is the answer. BUT....no gun laws are going to prevent this from happening.

So, you have discussions about what to do to prevent it which is good. BUT, the discussions always gravitate towards what is easy to get upset about and ignores the uncomfortable parts of the issue.

I would like to see a study done on these people common themes do you see in their upbringing or home life. Are most of them from single family homes? Do they not have a strong father figure in their lives? Are they typically outcasts and if so...why? Is there a common theme of some type of abuse in their lives?

All the talk about strengthening gun laws to me is like being upset that you have a runny nose so you cut your nose off instead of treating your cold.

Yesterday I heard an interview by some guy who was head of some psychological group. Sorry...didn't catch the specifics on this. Anyway, part of the discussion was about violent video games. He was claiming that in his opinion, the games aren't going to take the average kid and turn him into a mass killer. But, if you have some unstable person who is already prone to violence and has these thoughts in his mind, the games probably are not a good thing. BUT, in the end, he felt the games aren't the problem.

It bothers me how quick gun activist are to exonerate themselves of any responsibility for our insane culture of gun violence in this country in the wake of a tragedy. I say gun activist because I am a gun owner, but not an activist. Most of the "activist" I know, the clowns who really think they need AR replicas and that anyone gives a **** about their opinion on facebook they day after a school is shot up, are not interested at all in responsible ownership, safety, or most of the time even hunting. It's sad and pathetic that not a week after this, we've already reasoned that nothing can really be done, legislation will actually make things worse, and anyone who wants to do something this horrifying will easily obtain guns somehow, somewhere...so basically screw it besides the mandatory obfuscated rhetoric.

• Fire 2