Bo in for the long run?

It seems entirely likely that the coaching staff knew they could use some help on the d-line going into the Big Ten championship game. Two standout true freshman were available. Defensive tackle Vincent Valentine and end Greg McMullen had been redshirting. Bo had a choice then. Do I burn the redshirts to enhance my chance of victory now, or keep them on the bench to maximize their potential four seasons from now?

I dunno about this logic. I mean, sure, Valentine and end McMullen are most likely going to be great players. Someday. But I don't think Valentine/Meredith at DT/DE (or Meredith/McMullen) would be better than Meredith/Carter. Or even Meredith/Ankrah for that matter. So it would have been stupid to burn any redshirts at this point in time.

It seems entirely likely that the coaching staff knew they could use some help on the d-line going into the Big Ten championship game. Two standout true freshman were available. Defensive tackle Vincent Valentine and end Greg McMullen had been redshirting. Bo had a choice then. Do I burn the redshirts to enhance my chance of victory now, or keep them on the bench to maximize their potential four seasons from now?

I dunno about this logic. I mean, sure, Valentine and end McMullen are most likely going to be great players. Someday. But I don't think Valentine/Meredith at DT/DE (or Meredith/McMullen) would be better than Meredith/Carter. Or even Meredith/Ankrah for that matter. So it would have been stupid to burn any redshirts at this point in time.

I agree with you that currently at their respective positions, Meredith is a better end than McMullen. But the blogger's stance is that Valentine would have been better at DT than Meredith. Which is a point I agree with.

I think Valentine would have been a huge help on that line. Rome, Valentine, Carter and Ankrah would have been my front 4 if they were to burn a redshirt. Meredith is too small against a Wisky Oline, same with E-mart. I am glad he never burned a RS. Like the article said though, if he was looking for NU to be that stepping stone, he probably would have burned one.

I think Valentine would have been a huge help on that line. Rome, Valentine, Carter and Ankrah would have been my front 4 if they were to burn a redshirt. Meredith is too small against a Wisky Oline, same with E-mart. I am glad he never burned a RS. Like the article said though, if he was looking for NU to be that stepping stone, he probably would have burned one.

I agree with you that currently at their respective positions, Meredith is a better end than McMullen. But the blogger's stance is that Valentine would have been better at DT than Meredith. Which is a point I agree with.

But playing in his first FBS game? No, even with as much potential as VV has, putting him across the line from Wisconsin in his first game would've been like throwing sheep to the lions. Have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. And I guess we'll never really know for sure.

But playing in his first FBS game? No, even with as much potential as VV has, putting him across the line from Wisconsin in his first game would've been like throwing sheep to the lions. Have to respectfully disagree with you on this one. And I guess we'll never really know for sure.

That's fine. It was completely unfair of us to ask Cam to play DT. Turned out line into a very undersized line.

I don’t know IF there is a correct answer to this dilemma.

So far, it’s been hard to discern Bo’s guiding philosophy with any consistency regarding redshirts. Some have been burned almost whimsically and others desperately withheld.

Just for arguments sake, lets say the reports of VV tearing up practice are correct. IF we have a bona fide run - stopper clogging up the middle, maybe we are not so vulnerable outside to the jet, etc. Maybe Meredith is not sacrificed inside. Maybe we have a much different scheme and/or result vs. Wisky. Big Maybe I know, but still a maybe.

Given how much we were told the entire team desperately wanted the CCG, could it have made the difference? Probably not, but now we will never know. AND, there is the additional bowl game to consider. How might a stouter DL impact Georgia’s game plan?

So, really the judgment should be measured in light of 2 (not 1) games out of the season. 2 out of 14 (14+ %). Still not a desirable threshold, but considering those 2 games are arguably the most important in the season……….maybe worth the discussion.

Paramount should be the desire of the players involved. Given depth chart changes and the risks of injuries over a 5 year span, I would think THEY should have been given a chance for input. (and maybe they were).

Just some thoughts….

That's fine. It was completely unfair of us to ask Cam to play DT. Turned out line into a very undersized line.

Yeah, it sure turned out that way. I just remember thinking before the game that it was a clever solution to preserve VV's redshirt. But then, at that point I thought we wouldn't have much problem handling the Badgers. Drunken with Kool-Aid like I was. :facepalm:

Yeah, it sure turned out that way. I just remember thinking before the game that it was a clever solution to preserve VV's redshirt. But then, at that point I thought we wouldn't have much problem handling the Badgers. Drunken with Kool-Aid like I was. :facepalm:

Was worried all week about the inside run. Rewatching it, and getting some other inputs mainly from this board, I think we need a big time safety as well. I'd take O'Hanlon back any day of the week.

• Fire 1

Regardless of whether Bo wanted to leave or not, you have to believe that he still has the best interests of each player in mind. Burning the redshirt of VV would be totally unfair to him and would negatively affect his future. Unless VV came to Bo and asked to play in the CCG, you just don't do something like that.

Regardless of whether Bo wanted to leave or not, you have to believe that he still has the best interests of each player in mind. Burning the redshirt of VV would be totally unfair to him and would negatively affect his future. Unless VV came to Bo and asked to play in the CCG, you just don't do something like that.

What's the difference between burning Moss's and Curry's redshirts earlier in the year when everyone was healthy and never playing them again during conference play, or burning VV's redshirt in an effort to win the Big Ten after Baker got hurt? I'd argue that there was a lot more on the line versus Wisconsin than there was against Southern Miss.

What's the difference between burning Moss's and Curry's redshirts earlier in the year when everyone was healthy and never playing them again during conference play, or burning VV's redshirt in an effort to win the Big Ten after Baker got hurt? I'd argue that there was a lot more on the line versus Wisconsin than there was against Southern Miss.

Moss and Curry would have contributed all year but got hurt and will get medical redshirts because of it.

It seems to me it is recruiting for down the road, rather than what is needed today. Waiting for the field to develop, rather than harvesting. We owe these kids nothing but the education they were promised. We do not owe them to rippen on the tree if their fruits are needed early. Now if they truly are not ready, how do we know or even hope to think magically next year they will be ready and world beaters at it...

Until you have a pipeline built you use other means of transporting the goods. New and inexperienced so be it. Don't just say it can wait till next year, as we have been doing that for the last 12 or so. Talent on the field, even if young. Make their mistakes and learn from them, not capable, they would never have made it either way. It seems we waisted a year, with supposed better talent setting on the bench by most accounts. Now if the scheme is too hard to learn until they are juniors and seniors, we are using to hard of scheme. It is not the x's and o's, it is the Jimmies and Joes. Still believe it.

Baptism under fire, used nearly every single day in combat, where the stakes are much higher.