Why is everyone worried about DT?

The King

Most people seem to think that we are switching to a 3-4 D this offseason and then I read similar posts saying how we are "screwed" at DT. Why are you so worried about DT (seeing as how that would shrink our DT rotation) by taking one off of the field?

Valentine, Curry, Rome, Peat, Williams, Guy, etc.

Not like we need to be 4-5 deep when the rotation will be significantly shrunk, most likely to 3 or so.

HSome articles have mentioned it. Especially when Bo was targeting some hybrid type players that would fit a 3-4. Also Bo favors a two gap which is primarily used in a 3-4. I use to think that he was going to switch as well for a while. Bo is not going to switch to a 3-4 though. He might sprinkle it in a little bit he is going to stay with the 4-3.

People are worried about DT because even though we have a lot of bodies, practically every single one of them are young and unproven. The only 2 players we have coming back with experience are Randle and Rome. A JUCO DT would be a good stop gap. That and we've swung and missed on every single DT we've tried to grab in recruiting.

We have also had a lot of injuries there as well. Peat with his back. Randle knew. etc etc I believe all the DT's the original posted mentioned has been injured except for VV

I don't see us officially switching to a 3-4 defense as our base D. Bo has typically switched to a 3-4 look with Martin as a stand-up pass rusher on 3rd and long situations, but that's about it. You have to have a stable of good linebackers to run a 3-4, and that's not something that we have yet.

It's a critical position in Bo's defense that's been riddled with injuries. The only guys we have returning with any significant playing time are Randle; who spends more time limping off the field than actually playing, and Rome; who has been little more than a warm body with a sweet tattoo. We've "heard good things" about the other guys, but it's hard to know for sure what we have in any of them until they get some serious playing time.

We've been hearing about this switch to a base 3-4 for years, and it's still malarkey.

I think you might see a lot more of the end standing up in Randy Gregory which will make it into the "3-4" than last year. Primarily in passing downs. I think you would have seen Martin do it more except he said that he was more comfortable rushing from a 3 point stance. Could be wrong about this though. I might be reading into Martin's comments too much

HSome articles have mentioned it. Especially when Bo was targeting some hybrid type players that would fit a 3-4. Also Bo favors a two gap which is primarily used in a 3-4. I use to think that he was going to switch as well for a while. Bo is not going to switch to a 3-4 though. He might sprinkle it in a little bit he is going to stay with the 4-3.

Your making sense in this thread. I dont see us moving to a 3-4 as a base, but we will use it situationally with the athletes that we have been recruiting. Bo likes to be as multiple as possible. Couldnt do that much this year with the talent we have, besides moving martin around a little. He is definitely shifting to more of a stand up d end as part of his base d used on 3rd and passing. Our Dend recruits have said as much.

Your making sense in this thread. I dont see us moving to a 3-4 as a base, but we will use it situationally with the athletes that we have been recruiting. Bo likes to be as multiple as possible. Couldnt do that much this year with the talent we have, besides moving martin around a little. He is definitely shifting to more of a stand up d end as part of his base d used on 3rd and passing. Our Dend recruits have said as much.

Getting Gregory opens up our play book defensively big time IMO. Thomas Brown may play a hybrid type role at times as well.

We might be better off using a 3-4 type of defense for the bowl game with our lack of depth at DT. Steins injury hurt us alotmore than some think. He was playing the best ball of his career before he got hurt. I have to say i dont know what we are going to do upfront for the game and i'm a bit worried.

We might be better off using a 3-4 type of defense for the bowl game with our lack of depth at DT. Steins injury hurt us alotmore than some think. He was playing the best ball of his career before he got hurt. I have to say i dont know what we are going to do upfront for the game and i'm a bit worried.

I would agree with you, but unfortunately, we don't have a guy big enough to hold up as NT, and we also don't have any depth at the LB position. I'm not sure what would be worse, letting Cam get smashed on the interior of the DL again or try to compensate for our biggest weakness by emphasizing another area of weakness... There;s only so much that Bo can do with the personnel that he has available.