Todd Peat No Longer with Team

QMany

here come the "we didnt need him anyway" people

Did/do we really? Us possibly moving to a 3-4 defense could be a bigger reason he left. This rumor of the 3-4 comes even closer to being true, because that is why JUCO Gregory Davis committed with us. We have enough DTs/DEs for a 3-4. Almost too much actually. Valentine, Randle, Rome, Ankrah, Curry, McMullen, Moss and Williams. Did we really need Peat? Someone who didn't even give anyone any hope during practice that he would be good? All we have is his high school tapes, because he has been a sitting duck since then. Its not his fault, and I wish him the best and hope he has at least one year of his collegiate career to play. He was just a sitting duck on a scholarship that someone else could have. I said a couple months back that Peat Jr was possibly leaving the team.

There has been an abundance of rumors and smoke about moving to a 3-4 for a couple of years. And while I'd LOVE to see it, I'll believe it when/if it actually occurs.

• Fire 2

Did/do we really? Us possibly moving to a 3-4 defense could be a bigger reason he left. This rumor of the 3-4 comes even closer to being true, because that is why JUCO Gregory Davis committed with us. We have enough DTs/DEs for a 3-4. Almost too much actually. Valentine, Randle, Rome, Ankrah, Curry, McMullen, Moss and Williams. Did we really need Peat? Someone who didn't even give anyone any hope during practice that he would be good? All we have is his high school tapes, because he has been a sitting duck since then. Its not his fault, and I wish him the best and hope he has at least one year of his collegiate career to play. He was just a sitting duck on a scholarship that someone else could have. I said a couple months back that Peat Jr was possibly leaving the team.

There has been an abundance of rumors and smoke about moving to a 3-4 for a couple of years. And while I'd LOVE to see it, I'll believe it when/if it actually occurs.

And I think the rumors started because of the lack of DT as opposed to Bo wanting to change the defense.

The only thing that makes me believe that this is most likely going to happen, unlike the previous years, is because of the number of LB's we have been recruiting and why we are recruiting more DTs. Papuchis' selling point to Davis, was us either going to, or using a decent amount of 3-4 defense next year.

And our paper thin Dline depth just got worse

Ahhhh, how so. he was never part of the dline depth.

While he may not have played this year due to injury, he was expected to be in the DT rotation next year. We're losing Baker to graduation, so that leaves us with Thad Randle (JR), Chase Rome (SO), Kevin Williams (FR), Vincent Valentine (FR) and Aaron Curry (FR) and Jay Guy (SO) at DT.

With as compromising the DT position is, we're a couple injuries away from being hosed. This makes missing on Russell and Hooks even worse.

• Fire 1

The only thing that makes me believe that this is most likely going to happen, unlike the previous years, is because of the number of LB's we have been recruiting and why we are recruiting more DTs. Papuchis' selling point to Davis, was us either going to, or using a decent amount of 3-4 defense next year.

I just want to make sure...you do mean Randy Gregory, correct? Not Davis...?

I just want to make sure...you do mean Randy Gregory, correct? Not Davis...?

Blah, yes LOL. Sorry, juggling work and doing this. Didn't think twice about looking it up since it sounded right. Guess I was only 50% off lol

Ahhhh, how so. he was never part of the dline depth.

While he may not have played this year due to injury, he was expected to be in the DT rotation next year. We're losing Baker to graduation, so that leaves us with Thad Randle (JR), Chase Rome (SO), Kevin Williams (FR), Vincent Valentine (FR) and Aaron Curry (FR) and Jay Guy (SO) at DT.

With as compromising the DT position is, we're a couple injuries away from being hosed. This makes missing on Russell and Hooks even worse.

Who's to say he would be healthy enough to be part of that rotation. I just don't see the doom an gloom as you do.

Didn't you hear? We are going to a 2-4-5 defense

• Fire 1

I agree with the "didn't need him side".. if he truly was injured all of the time and not adding any stability to the DL, then his addition of depth was only an illusion

It would of been great if he could of been part of the rotation. It's hard to miss something when you never had it to begin with.

Exactly. Not only that, you never heard positive things about him in practices. Its hard to get excited about someone when you don't hear about improvements or even how they produce on the practice field.

Didn't you hear? We are going to a 2-4-5 defense

I thought it was 1-2-3-4-1

I dont know how it can be worse when we lose a guy who never played a down on the field and was riddled with injuries. I hope Todd the best in the future, but he was a guy who was taking up a scholarship on the roster.

Yeah, I agree with this. Peat had at least back problems that were keeping him out the entire time. It would be one thing if we lost a big contributor, but he hadn't gotten to that point here yet. Also, I don't know if I really buy the 3-4 talk, and anyway, Peat at worst could kick out to end. A 34 requires more DL type players in my opinion, not less. I see it as more of a 5-2, only the two ends stand up and are nominally considered 'outside linebackers.'

We have been stocking up on LB's due to the lack we have had when we weren't recruiting many because of the Peso/Nickel we mainly ran in the pass happy Big 12. If you look at the defensive player we have targeted have changed. We want larger bodied guys on the line.

I would love to move to a 3-4 as I think it is much easier to land a quality LB then a quality DL. My guess is that we remain with the 4-3, but keep a hybrid stand up look to it with a Eric Martin type player, but can change out that player with a larger guy when needed. Pretty much what we got down to at the end of the season, but with larger interior guys, not Cam Meredith sized guys.