What is success

Ian Hest with some interesting thoughts on twitter that I'm curious people's reaction to.

@IanHest: If success is 75% win-pct (9-3 "fair" 2 me), then: Bob-9yrs (out of 11), TO-24yrs (25), Solich-4yrs (6), BC-0 yrs (4), Bo-0 yrs (5) #Huskers

@IanHest: If success is Top 15 finish in AP poll then: Bob-8yrs (out of 11), TO-24 yrs (25), Solich-3yrs (6), Callahan-0yrs (4), Bo-1 yr (5) #Huskers

@IanHest: If success is Bowl Wins then: Devaney - 6-3, TO - 11-14, Solich - 3-3, Callahan - 1-1, Bo - 2-3 #Huskers

Interesting thoughts

Numbers can be made to do many things.

NU had 10 wins! NU had 4 ugly losses!!!

If Bo thinks there has been pressure before, just wait until next year and/or the year after.

As T-Mart goes next year, so will Bo's fate. If T-Mart continues improving, Bo will be in good shape with a new QB in 2014. If T-Mart's history repeats itself with turnovers and big-game losses, 2014 will be a make or break year for Bo, period.

• Fire 1

Numbers can be made to do many things.

NU had 10 wins! NU had 4 ugly losses!!!

If Bo thinks there has been pressure before, just wait until next year and/or the year after.

As T-Mart goes next year, so will Bo's fate. If T-Mart continues improving, Bo will be in good shape with a new QB in 2014. If T-Mart's history repeats itself with turnovers and big-game losses, 2014 will be a make or break year for Bo, period.

I would say we had 2 and a half ugly loses this year. I would not call thet bowl game an ugly lose and the UCLA game could be a toss up. Both games we were in it till the end.

• Fire 1

Ian Hest with some interesting thoughts on twitter that I'm curious people's reaction to.

@IanHest: If success is 75% win-pct (9-3 "fair" 2 me), then: Bob-9yrs (out of 11), TO-24yrs (25), Solich-4yrs (6), BC-0 yrs (4), Bo-0 yrs (5) #Huskers

@IanHest: If success is Top 15 finish in AP poll then: Bob-8yrs (out of 11), TO-24 yrs (25), Solich-3yrs (6), Callahan-0yrs (4), Bo-1 yr (5) #Huskers

@IanHest: If success is Bowl Wins then: Devaney - 6-3, TO - 11-14, Solich - 3-3, Callahan - 1-1, Bo - 2-3 #Huskers

Interesting thoughts

So far based on your stats, we haven't been successful. Bo said he came here to win championships. Well we could give him credit for making it to 3 CCG games. I think he is 1-3 in those games -

Beat Texas but not the refs

Got out coached and out adjusted by OU

Got totally out coached by WISKY. Enough has been said about that game.

We are caught in no man's land of a 4 loss team - enough wins to be respectable but not enough losses to make drastic changes in the program. I guess we have to decide if 'respectable' is acceptable or if we want to be a national championship caliber team - if the latter - the bigger question is if Bo can get us there?? I think next year will tell us a lot wt the easier schedule.

Interesting thoughts

How to start a discussion. Arbitrarily pull some stats out of your ass, set them just above where the current head coach's stats sit, and then use those arbitrary stats to define "success."

Pretty easy to do that and miraculously discover that the point you're trying to make has merit.

• Fire 2

Who the f#*k is Ian Hest?

Amac3309 lol But seriously why do we have to have these set guidelines to define success? 8-4 in 2008 was success, it changes year to year. This year if we go back I bet all the doomers on here said we'd go 7-5 or 9-3 if we're "lucky". Yet they are the first to complain about how bad 10-2 is. You also have the argumet that it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for blowout losses. Well if a win is a win then a loss is a loss. That's how I see it. I was upset in 2009 when we lost 16-15 to Va-Tech and 9-6 to ISU and I was just as upset when we lost 63-31 to Ohio State and 70-31 to Wis. this year. At least Pelini doesn't lose half a$$ when he does it he does it right! haha

In 1981, Nebraska went 9-3. It won a conference championship. It played for a national championship, and had a very good chance to win it.

In 1990, Nebraska went 9-3. It lost to Colorado at home, got blown out by an unranked Oklahoma team, and wasn't competitive in the bowl game.

I would call 1981 a successful season and 1990 a poor one by our standards. That was probably Osborne's worst team. The W/L record is identical. The W/L record never tells the entire story.

• Fire 1

Who the f#*k is Ian Hest?

Amac3309 lol But seriously why do we have to have these set guidelines to define success? 8-4 in 2008 was success, it changes year to year. This year if we go back I bet all the doomers on here said we'd go 7-5 or 9-3 if we're "lucky". Yet they are the first to complain about how bad 10-2 is. You also have the argumet that it wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for blowout losses. Well if a win is a win then a loss is a loss. That's how I see it. I was upset in 2009 when we lost 16-15 to Va-Tech and 9-6 to ISU and I was just as upset when we lost 63-31 to Ohio State and 70-31 to Wis. this year. At least Pelini doesn't lose half a$$ when he does it he does it right! haha

Ha seriously right, bringing up some bad memories I was at the 16-15 va tech game and the Ohio st game this year

I wasn't saying i agree with the post but it makes for a good discussion of what success is, I think there is a difference between a successful program and team team to me is more on the field while I think bo has built a successful program when u include off the field issues grades accountability etc as far as on the field success I would agree that it's a moving target I just want to make sure our standards for success stay high