Great article...sadly!

bdubb75

Just want to note that you can pound the rock in a spread offense, too, which is what we did to good effect this year. With a better defense, we won't need to play as much catch up football either.

Very true, but whatever formation you want to pound the rock from (myself I prefer the "I"), you've got to recruit with that offensive set in mind

Not a recruiting guru, but could part of our issue on O and D to a degree is trying to recruit a jack of all trades and a master of none. Can a great bulldozer also be great in a passing O, a spread O, asked to pull on toss plays, zone read option etc.......Our O is very multiple, but do we also suffer for that which has improved ie OL play suffers?

I'm the furthest thing from a recruiting guru as well. I don't dare go into that part of the forum, because those guys are piranha's in there, and would hand me my lunch.

But you hit on something important. The line.

I think our line play might be the greatest thing we need to improve on, on both sides of the ball. That was something that those great TO teams had, were amazing line play, on both offense and defense.

I'm going to say 90% of what he writes is pretty much crap. I'm not trying to give Dick, I mean Dirk, any more run, but there are some questions that have to be asked.

What is our identity? Are we going to pound the rock and play great D? Are we going to run a spread mixing pass and run with a bend but don't break defense?

When I was younger, hell when we all were younger, we knew what we were going to see. Stifling defenses and an offensive juggernaut that by the 3rd quarter had the opposing D sucking wind, crying for it's mother. That was orchestrated by one of the all time great college coaches. Is Bo that coach? We're still finding out, and I'm not so sure if he's not trying to do the same.

I know that the college football landscape has changed, and that what worked 20 years ago, probably won't work as well now due to kids athletic abilities just being insane. But that's where you have to find your niche, and the ability to adapt, improvise and overcome. It's pretty obvious where the weaknesses are, but does Bo have the will and desire to make those changes? If not, then there will probably be more frustration, but if he does fix what is broken, then he's got a chance...

The thing that made us great was what you described above. Solid, butt kicking D and an offense that would run it down your throat. Nothing you could do to stop it. The D actually became stifling when we truly went after speed. To beat a dead horse, McBride said they went after 3 things in this order: Speed, ability to tackle and size. Speed and the fundamental skill of tackling trumped size. Look no further than David to see this effect.

Watching Ou and A&M is like night and day compared to our D. Plays on the ball in the air, speed and an uncanny ability to tackle in space and not miss.

Ultimately until we become great at the basics, ie tackling, penalties and ball control we are doomed. An average athletic team with sound basics, IMO will always beat a superior athletic team that misses tackles, blocks, gets penalties and turns the ball over. The NU teams of old were not stacked with modern day 5 star kids. They were sure tacklers and played to the best of their abilities and were sound in the basics.

The bolded above is a look at Bama, ND, Wisky, SC, Stanford etc.... Solid D, pound the ball and run you into submission.

I cannot +1 that enough.

Fundamentally sound football with good but not great players will always cause problems for whoever your opponent is. And that's what is lacking. Until those ways are gone back to, it may be awhile before the program becomes a team that people fear and respect.

I wish I knew where they could start though? Recruiting, improving the fundamentals, I don't have an answer...

KSU last night, didnt win, but played very well to their strengths and good fundmental football..almost to the fault of boring

KSU last night, didnt win, but played very well to their strengths and good fundmental football..almost to the fault of boring

But that's the thing...

I know losing sucks, but would you rather know that you lost because the other team was better than you as opposed to losing to a team because you beat yourself?

Just want to note that you can pound the rock in a spread offense, too, which is what we did to good effect this year. With a better defense, we won't need to play as much catch up football either.

Very true, but whatever formation you want to pound the rock from (myself I prefer the "I"), you've got to recruit with that offensive set in mind

Not a recruiting guru, but could part of our issue on O and D to a degree is trying to recruit a jack of all trades and a master of none. Can a great bulldozer also be great in a passing O, a spread O, asked to pull on toss plays, zone read option etc.......Our O is very multiple, but do we also suffer for that which has improved ie OL play suffers?

I'm the furthest thing from a recruiting guru as well. I don't dare go into that part of the forum, because those guys are piranha's in there, and would hand me my lunch.

But you hit on something important. The line.

I think our line play might be the greatest thing we need to improve on, on both sides of the ball. That was something that those great TO teams had, were amazing line play, on both offense and defense.

I always preferred all american lineman to all american QBs.

But that's the thing...

I know losing sucks, but would you rather know that you lost because the other team was better than you as opposed to losing to a team because you beat yourself?

yep,

and for all who thought our move the B1G is going to take time to adjust to the new teams...sure took aTm long didnt it? or maybe SEC football more resembles B12....

Here is an interesting comment brought up last night during the A&M vs OU game. Announcers were speaking of Manziel at QB and they said that in the spring he was turning over the ball. A LOT. Sumlin told him that he would not have a QB that turned the ball over. Wasn't going to happen. Seems like Manziel took this to heart, got the job, the Hypesman and beat Bama.

Not a knock on Martinez, BUT our QB has led the nation for 3 years in fumbles. OUR QB. The guy who touches the ball every offensive down. We have won games because of and in spite of Martinez. The TO's have got to be fixed. Doesn't matter if we have 5 stars at every position, you turn the ball over like we do, you are going to lose a few regardless of talent. (look at my Dallas Cowboys and Romo)

Also saw a stat mid season that showed teams with the lowest TO's were also top ranked. IIRC the list included KSU, Oregon and Bama.

PLay sound fundamental football and we can win despite a perceived "lack of talent". If we can't get the "talent" coach them up and make sure they are sound fundamental players. Both of these, development and attention to the basics really seems lacking. Until we fix these two issues (one's the staff and team control) we are going to be a 4 loss team.

I'm going to say 90% of what he writes is pretty much crap. I'm not trying to give Dick, I mean Dirk, any more run, but there are some questions that have to be asked.

What is our identity? Are we going to pound the rock and play great D? Are we going to run a spread mixing pass and run with a bend but don't break defense?

When I was younger, hell when we all were younger, we knew what we were going to see. Stifling defenses and an offensive juggernaut that by the 3rd quarter had the opposing D sucking wind, crying for it's mother. That was orchestrated by one of the all time great college coaches. Is Bo that coach? We're still finding out, and I'm not so sure if he's not trying to do the same.

I know that the college football landscape has changed, and that what worked 20 years ago, probably won't work as well now due to kids athletic abilities just being insane. But that's where you have to find your niche, and the ability to adapt, improvise and overcome. It's pretty obvious where the weaknesses are, but does Bo have the will and desire to make those changes? If not, then there will probably be more frustration, but if he does fix what is broken, then he's got a chance...

The thing that made us great was what you described above. Solid, butt kicking D and an offense that would run it down your throat. Nothing you could do to stop it. The D actually became stifling when we truly went after speed. To beat a dead horse, McBride said they went after 3 things in this order: Speed, ability to tackle and size. Speed and the fundamental skill of tackling trumped size. Look no further than David to see this effect.

Watching Ou and A&M is like night and day compared to our D. Plays on the ball in the air, speed and an uncanny ability to tackle in space and not miss.

Ultimately until we become great at the basics, ie tackling, penalties and ball control we are doomed. An average athletic team with sound basics, IMO will always beat a superior athletic team that misses tackles, blocks, gets penalties and turns the ball over. The NU teams of old were not stacked with modern day 5 star kids. They were sure tacklers and played to the best of their abilities and were sound in the basics.

The bolded above is a look at Bama, ND, Wisky, SC, Stanford etc.... Solid D, pound the ball and run you into submission.

This post might have been in the first half. During the 2nd half, I felt better that the Husker defense wasn't the only sad unit to show up this bowl season....We looked better than Oklahoma, something people would have gladly accepted two short years ago.

This post might have been in the first half. During the 2nd half, I felt better that the Husker defense wasn't the only sad unit to show up this bowl season....We looked better than Oklahoma, something people would have gladly accepted two short years ago.

In the 2nd half I should have edited the post! A&M still looked fast, mean and sure, OU not so much.