Great article...sadly!

bdubb75

You are missing the point Chamberlain is pointing out. Yes all teams are on TV more these days... that is common knowledge. What he is pointing out is under Osborne, BEFORE every team was on TV all the time, Nebraska WAS on TV alot, compared to other teams in the country. Huskers were one of the most televised teams in the country under Osborne, and that served us well in recruiting! Kids wanted to play for us because it meant tv exposure for them, they wouldn't get with other teams! Now, since tv's relationship with the college football game has changed so much, we lost that recruiting edge we enjoyed under osborne!

A couple thoughts. Agree with nupolos breakdown of Dicks article. This was the easiest article to write. Compare this years Huskers to a few programs who have had out of the norm outstanding years and surmise that we have lost something and complain Bo hasn't fixed it yet. Notre Dame has been irrelevant for years but this one year they put it together so we suck? KSU had a great season this year also...so now we want to be like them? This same approach could be taken against every team that doesn't finish in the top five, every year. Hate to tell ya Dirk but NU did lose it's edge, quite awhile back, before Bo got here. TO retired, Frank had a few off years and was fired in bad manner, then Pederson and Callahan drove it into the ground ruining years of hardwork, consistency, and tradition. I mean WTF we all know what happened. I don't know if Bo will get us back to the promised land or not but I do know he has us headed in the right direction and, for me, that is good enough for the time being. I don't understand the preoccupation with an edge or a gimmick. We just need to get better, build depth, get back to reloading instead of rebuilding, and eliminate the head shaking blowout debacles. The rest will fall into place if we do those things. Can't say I disagree with his article but I don't disagree with captain obvious when he says the sky is blue either.

I would hate to lose the ability to discuss or link Dirks typical remedial journalism. His articles have a knack for being great discussion starters even if they lack any real substance. I see knapps point of not wanting to promote the guy or his employer but that decision needs to be made on business principles and not due to opinions or article content.

First of all, nothing Dirk ever spews out equates to great.....Secondly, if any moron from the world herald or anywhere else wants to keep referring to the Osborne era like it was yesterday please wake up and realize that was 15 years ago. It's history, it's a different playing field now. 15 years ago one time powers Notre Dame and Alabama were on nobody's radar. Football pretty much runs in cycles and this is their moment of glory. I think the Huskers will be back and Chaterbrain will be saying "welcome to Walmart" cause he won't have anything to write about.

You are missing the point Chamberlain is pointing out. Yes all teams are on TV more these days... that is common knowledge. What he is pointing out is under Osborne, BEFORE every team was on TV all the time, Nebraska WAS on TV alot, compared to other teams in the country. Huskers were one of the most televised teams in the country under Osborne, and that served us well in recruiting! Kids wanted to play for us because it meant tv exposure for them, they wouldn't get with other teams! Now, since tv's relationship with the college football game has changed so much, we lost that recruiting edge we enjoyed under osborne!

I understand that edge disappeared. I think some peoples problem may be in the wording. It's not that anyone did anything to lose that edge, it simply went away with increased exposure for all teams.

Also, I agree with your pointing out the practice regimen. After reading a lot of books about Osborne and the glory days, the edge I feel we had was how practices were conducted, more than any other single factor. I have no clue how a typical Pelini practice is designed or operated but am convinced that the steady consistency and intensity of an Osborne practice was the main ingredient for our years of dominance. If somebody is looking for an edge, that would be the place to start. I just dontwknow if todays athletes are built for that style anymore.

I understand that edge disappeared. I think some peoples problem may be in the wording. It's not that anyone did anything to lose that edge, it simply went away with increased exposure for all teams.

Also, I agree with your pointing out the practice regimen. After reading a lot of books about Osborne and the glory days, the edge I feel we had was how practices were conducted, more than any other single factor. I have no clue how a typical Pelini practice is designed or operated but am convinced that the steady consistency and intensity of an Osborne practice was the main ingredient for our years of dominance. If somebody is looking for an edge, that would be the place to start. I just dontwknow if todays athletes are built for that style anymore.

Agree with this. Most former players said the games were easy because the practices were so intense.

Well for a few years stretch, in the mid 90's anyway, our backups were probably the 2nd best team in the nation. Just read "Unbeatable" by Henry Cordes. I learned a bit more about the amount of reps, intensity, and depth development that took place in an Osborne practice. According to the book, we were outrageously outworking every other team by almost a factor of four times. If that is even close to accurate, that is just insane but also would explain how we competed so well with supposedly inferior incoming talent.

I don't often read Dirk's stuff...I have seen him referenced here as a schmuck and such. But this article has a ton of truth to it (someone cue A Few Good Men). Article is spot on. The defense has needed an identity since Suh left. I want the Blackshirts back and thought Bo was the perfect choice to do it. I believe he can still do it. In fact if he does not do it, we will find someone else that can. Next season is so huge...it's basically put up or shut up time.

• Fire 1

I don't often read Dirk's stuff...I have seen him referenced here as a schmuck and such. But this article has a ton of truth to it (someone cue A Few Good Men). Article is spot on. The defense has needed an identity since Suh left. I want the Blackshirts back and thought Bo was the perfect choice to do it. I believe he can still do it. In fact if he does not do it, we will find someone else that can. Next season is so huge...it's basically put up or shut up time.

Even more so, considering the schedule being less brutal, than the past couple years...

Even more so, considering the schedule being less brutal, than the past couple years...

Exactly. I think we will know a ton once we see how the defense performs against UCLA. That may be a Gameday in Lincoln.

Exactly. I think we will know a ton once we see how the defense performs against UCLA. That may be a Gameday in Lincoln.

I kind of doubt it, the 5th Reich, aka ESPN, will probably have it at New Mexico St or something like that....

With the schedule looking like it does, I think a return trip to the CCG is necessary to keep Bo off the hot seat...

Can somebody design a nebraska shirt for me?

I want it to say "Bring Back The Attitude" on the front and "Bring Back The Swagg" on the back with maybe the "N" on the front and the skull and crossbones on the back. Thanks.

Btw, these are the two edges we need back!! We need the Unstoppable Force/Pipeline Attitude back and the Blackshirt Swagg back.

That article is written by Dirk who is a dick who is wildly critical of Bo. I'll consider the source.

I love how being "wildly critical of Bo" disqualifies someone's opinion. This board and it's idiotic love affair with Bo is pathetic. Bo Pelini is not head coach material. I have zero faith in him and he's really not a good guy. He's a complete dick. Him and his weasel brother have done nothing but bring shame to the University. I understand what my stance on this subject now does to my credibility on this board, but I guess I'm fine with that. I really only linger here and am wildly entertained by all the sunshine pumpers here and blind loyalty to a scumbag like Bo.

Please let the Sasquatch bashing and questioning of my status as a true fan begin now...

I'm not a "sunshine pumper" nor am I in an ersatz "idiotic love affair with Bo." But let's face it, Bo could win the MNC, going undefeated while holding opponents to 1.5 points or less in each game and allowing opponent offenses to rack up a staggering -53 yds of Total Offense and Dirk would find some way to be critical of Bo i.e. accusing him of showboating or <gasp> running up the score and making all of Husker Nation look bad because, well, let's face it, we're "better" than that. I have no issue with media mouthpieces being "wildly" critical of Bo. My issue is when your entire journalistic prowess relies solely on pointing out the staff and team weaknesses.

• Fire 1

That article is written by Dirk who is a dick who is wildly critical of Bo. I'll consider the source.

I love how being "wildly critical of Bo" disqualifies someone's opinion. This board and it's idiotic love affair with Bo is pathetic. Bo Pelini is not head coach material. I have zero faith in him and he's really not a good guy. He's a complete dick. Him and his weasel brother have done nothing but bring shame to the University. I understand what my stance on this subject now does to my credibility on this board, but I guess I'm fine with that. I really only linger here and am wildly entertained by all the sunshine pumpers here and blind loyalty to a scumbag like Bo.

Please let the Sasquatch bashing and questioning of my status as a true fan begin now...

I'm not a "sunshine pumper" nor am I in an ersatz "idiotic love affair with Bo." But let's face it, Bo could win the MNC, going undefeated while holding opponents to 1.5 points or less in each game and allowing opponent offenses to rack up a staggering -53 yds of Total Offense and Dirk would find some way to be critical of Bo i.e. accusing him of showboating or <gasp> running up the score and making all of Husker Nation look bad because, well, let's face it, we're "better" than that. I have no issue with media mouthpieces being "wildly" critical of Bo. My issue is when your entire journalistic prowess relies solely on pointing out the staff and team weaknesses.

Yes, clearly Dirk just doesn't like Bo because of all the games he wins and his awesome defense. All of his criticisms are unfounded.

I'm going to say 90% of what he writes is pretty much crap. I'm not trying to give Dick, I mean Dirk, any more run, but there are some questions that have to be asked.

What is our identity? Are we going to pound the rock and play great D? Are we going to run a spread mixing pass and run with a bend but don't break defense?

When I was younger, hell when we all were younger, we knew what we were going to see. Stifling defenses and an offensive juggernaut that by the 3rd quarter had the opposing D sucking wind, crying for it's mother. That was orchestrated by one of the all time great college coaches. Is Bo that coach? We're still finding out, and I'm not so sure if he's not trying to do the same.

I know that the college football landscape has changed, and that what worked 20 years ago, probably won't work as well now due to kids athletic abilities just being insane. But that's where you have to find your niche, and the ability to adapt, improvise and overcome. It's pretty obvious where the weaknesses are, but does Bo have the will and desire to make those changes? If not, then there will probably be more frustration, but if he does fix what is broken, then he's got a chance...

I sometimes forget the wide age ranges on this board. I don't consider myself old, but I vividly remember a time in Husker football where we were more of a paper tiger than anything else. Sure, we played decent defense and wore opposing defenses down against inferior opponents. However, we got our butts handed to us several times to teams as good or better than us. Had the internet been around back then, Charlie McBride's name would have popped up a lot. I'd say he was as despised as Cosgrove was.

I'm not sure what most fans opinion is on when our run really started, but I have always felt it started in the 93' season. When we took Florida State down to the wire in the bowl game I really started to believe. Before that, there really wasn't much to believe in. The 91' squad accomplished a feat that no other bowl eligible Husker team had accomplished. They failed to score even a single point in the bowl game. The 90' squad lost to every single opponent we played that was ranked. The teams we did beat were pretty bad. The Big 8 in those days were pretty bad. There wasn't a team in the Big 8 that we beat that year that even had a winning record. The last two games we played that year we lost 10-45 and 21-45.

TO and staff pinpointed our problem which was lack of team speed. They upgraded talent and speed which is what led to our run. Maybe we're in the process of doing that now. I'll have to see to believe.

What is our identity? Are we going to pound the rock and play great D? Are we going to run a spread mixing pass and run with a bend but don't break defense?

When I was younger, hell when we all were younger, we knew what we were going to see. Stifling defenses and an offensive juggernaut that by the 3rd quarter had the opposing D sucking wind, crying for it's mother. That was orchestrated by one of the all time great college coaches. Is Bo that coach? We're still finding out, and I'm not so sure if he's not trying to do the same.

I know that the college football landscape has changed, and that what worked 20 years ago, probably won't work as well now due to kids athletic abilities just being insane. But that's where you have to find your niche, and the ability to adapt, improvise and overcome. It's pretty obvious where the weaknesses are, but does Bo have the will and desire to make those changes? If not, then there will probably be more frustration, but if he does fix what is broken, then he's got a chance...

Very well thought out, and well written post. I think the part of your discussion that I underlined & bolded is one of the main areas of focus for this program this offseason. +1