High Character Guys

I like that we take the high road with our football program. That way when we finally are on top once again, we can always say that we did it the right way. Teams like Bama can't say that right now.

I would not be a fan of Nebraska if our program wasn't run the way it is and has been for the last 50+ years.

I like that we take the high road with our football program. That way when we finally are on top once again, we can always say that we did it the right way. Teams like Bama can't say that right now.

I would not be a fan of Nebraska if our program wasn't run the way it is and has been for the last 50+ years.

Agree. I'm proud of the fact when opposing fans have to bring up LP from 18 yrs ago to point to our "criminal" players.

As far as Bo--he has had to get "high character" guys to DEVELOP his program and get the RATS OUT to set accountability standards and an expectation level so everyone is equal so to speak.

He'll get his fair share of athlete over character. Hopefully after 5-6 yrs of character guys, a precedent is set that they'll too become good men and players.

I WANT some low character guys. Don't care how that sounds.

I want mean, whiskey drinking linemen who legitimately enjoy inflicting pain on their opponent. I'm not talking about a Viking crew of robbing, raping fiends. I just don't give a sh#t about somebody's moral standards. As long as they aren't hurting women or children or robbing people, ect, then I seriously do not care what they believe in or how they live.

We're way too righteously indignant in this country as it is anyway. I saw this comment on FB the other day regarding Frank Solich:

Too bad he was not a man with integrity. Infidelity, alcohol. . .do not make a good coach, leader, example, mentor. He suffered the correct consequence. Sorry guys.

Spare me. Benjamin Franklin was a known philanderer. Does that mean he had no integrity or contributed nothing of value to society?

Feature a lineup with nothing but "high character guys" and get ready to enjoy some mediocre football. It's a vicious, violent game. There is a certain group of people that excel on the field who are, frankly, thuggish. And a good number of those guys are AC or AA caliber players. Plenty of guys with a lot of integrity are good players, too. But it seems like a lot of great players had some pretty dicey predilections, were guys with a rough edged persona. Sign 'em up. I want to win games, not pat myself on the back because my team has a bunch of milk drinking' boy scouts. :lol:

(I'm kinda just trying to provoke some people, but I'm actually also serious.)

And let's not get too carried away when talking about how Nebraska has some inarguably higher level of integrity than everyone else. The Jet, whose Heisman we proudly display, robbed a store...with a GUN as a freshman. He served 30 days. AFTER his senior season.

And Christian Peter's detestable activities have been pretty well documented. Lawrence Phillips is one of the greatest running backs I've ever seen. That '95 team that we all consider one of if not the greatest team in CFB history capped off that season with an absolute trouncing of Florida. I seem to recall Phillips hauling in a pass in the flat with a great catch (especially for a RB) on a high pass with some juice on it, then bulling his way into the end zone with that brutal speed-power combo running style he had. He played a huge role in '94-'95. He also is in prison currently, I believe. Abdul Muhammad made HUGE plays in the '94 Orange Bowl. He is probably not what you would call an upstanding citizen.

I'm proud of our Academic All-Americans, honestly I am. But if you think our glory years weren't peppered with some guys who you would walk off your porch with a shotgun if they came looking for your daughter, you're lying to yourself.

I want mean, whiskey drinking linemen who legitimately enjoy inflicting pain on their opponent. I'm not talking about a Viking crew of robbing, raping fiends. I just don't give a sh#t about somebody's moral standards. As long as they aren't hurting women or children or robbing people, ect, then I seriously do not care what they believe in or how they live.

We're way too righteously indignant in this country as it is anyway. I saw this comment on FB the other day regarding Frank Solich:

Essentially, all you've said here is that as long as they adhere to your personal sense of moral standards, you don't care.

Which is actually the exact same thing the rest of us are saying too. Just with different standards.

Hey I think Bo is doing a great job for Nebraska along these lines. He has brought good kids here. I really do not want any more LP's or Thunder Collins or the Peters. It can be done with good kids.

Bo runs a tight ship, one of the things I thought he would not do. His making them attend class, do their work and attempt to graduate is fantastic.

But for a team to be a winner, there has to be a mean nasty side that shows up on game day. We do not have that right now. We did with Suh, but most top teams have the guys that are just not fun to be around most of the time. Those guys make great Olinemen and Dlinemen for some reason.

Shoot, I forgot to post this earlier.

For those of you calling for nasty, mean, attitude dudes like the Peter brothers...I don't know if you watched the bowl game, but Jake Cotton got a stupid, useless and unnecessary personal foul early on that cost us 3 points - all in the name of being intimidating and sending a message. This is what we're wanting?

For those of you calling for nasty, mean, attitude dudes like the Peter brothers...I don't know if you watched the bowl game, but Jake Cotton got a stupid, useless and unnecessary personal foul early on that cost us 3 points - all in the name of being intimidating and sending a message. This is what we're wanting?

I think for me I don't like the penalty, but I like the mentality. You have to go out there and punch that other team in the face and let them know you're there and you're not going anywhere. I think to just sit here and say we should field 11 Rex Burkheads is completely unrealistic. Rex just like Suh was a rare breed, he was even better off the field than he was on, and all the field he was an all-conference RB (when healthy). That just doesn't happen everyday, Rex is a once in a great while talent that had both what some wanted.

Some people on here think that we should only recruit upstanding kids and kids that didn't come from where it was rough because we're afraid they'll embarass our program. To me that's just down right ignorant and I can't stand hearing it. Some of those guys could be great kids in a rough situation, look at what Rickey Thenarse did with his life, he got out of Compton, CA (which a lot of people wish they could say) and made it, now he's back coaching his high school football team and mentoring young men. So the more guys with swagger we recruit I'm all for it, if our defense started looking like Alabama's or LSU's (which despite what some people on here believe, are just a bunch of great athletes and not necessarily criminals) to go along with Oregon's offense then nobody in the B1G, even the great Ohio State would be able to stop us.

Hey I think Bo is doing a great job for Nebraska along these lines. He has brought good kids here. I really do not want any more LP's or Thunder Collins or the Peters. It can be done with good kids.

Bo runs a tight ship, one of the things I thought he would not do. His making them attend class, do their work and attempt to graduate is fantastic.

But for a team to be a winner, there has to be a mean nasty side that shows up on game day. We do not have that right now. We did with Suh, but most top teams have the guys that are just not fun to be around most of the time. Those guys make great Olinemen and Dlinemen for some reason.

I agree 100% with your last paragraph. We just dont see it do we? I mean, that is probably the biggest disappointment so far of the Pelini era. I was hoping with his aggresive and snarly personality that we would see and aggresiveness and swagger on the field for years to come, something we lost under Callahan. I dont know, maybe his first couple classes that we saw taking most reps the past two years were too full of the nice kids. Maybe it's exhaustion from the conference change. Who knows, but it needs to be found. Taylor Martinez should not be duking it out instead of Andrew Rodriguez or Ben Cotton with an opposing LB. You have to have that off-field leadership like the Wistroms and Peters that made the 3 and 4th stringers run stairs on own time when they gave up a touchdown (according to Mike Brown). You dont have to like each other, just respect each other and play with each other. This may be absurd thought, but is it possible that this "family atmosphere" we promote has become a hinderance, or is it not enough yet?

• Fire 1

I think for me I don't like the penalty, but I like the mentality. You have to go out there and punch that other team in the face and let them know you're there and you're not going anywhere. I think to just sit here and say we should field 11 Rex Burkheads is completely unrealistic. Rex just like Suh was a rare breed, he was even better off the field than he was on, and all the field he was an all-conference RB (when healthy). That just doesn't happen everyday, Rex is a once in a great while talent that had both what some wanted.

Some people on here think that we should only recruit upstanding kids and kids that didn't come from where it was rough because we're afraid they'll embarass our program. To me that's just down right ignorant and I can't stand hearing it. Some of those guys could be great kids in a rough situation, look at what Rickey Thenarse did with his life, he got out of Compton, CA (which a lot of people wish they could say) and made it, now he's back coaching his high school football team and mentoring young men. So the more guys with swagger we recruit I'm all for it, if our defense started looking like Alabama's or LSU's (which despite what some people on here believe, are just a bunch of great athletes and not necessarily criminals) to go along with Oregon's offense then nobody in the B1G, even the great Ohio State would be able to stop us.

It's not necessarily ignorant. Duke basketball says hello.

Like what Notre Dame radio announcer Allen Pickett said, that you need to have some "criminals" on your team to be successful.

That comment really had some people upset. In reality though a team does need many different personalities etc. Try to find a MNC team without a few people you wouldn't want to be alone in an alley with.

Our team has too have as wide a range of personalities as any other team out there.... Given that we recruit nationally. What the announcer said is offensive, but probably true....

Yeah, but when the meanest players on our team have their DAD watching their every move from the box... Come on :lol:

I think we need a few more Incognitos or Jason Peters on this team to give it some attitude. At the very least, get a few players that are like Bo on the field... Wear their emotions on their sleeve, get fired up, hold other people ACCOUNTABLE when they screw up (god we need a few of these!), and don't take no sh*t from no one.

It was good to see Taylor mix it up and not back down from that asshat safety from UGA. We need more of THAT on this team.

yea it was good seeing TM get in the face wt the UGA D. We do need more 'attitude'. It reminded me, living here in Oklahoma, of a freshman QB name "I'm a Man" Mike Gundy who got in Brian Bosworth's face back in 1984 I believe. Mike was and has been a Ok State fan favorite ever since.

Essentially, all you've said here is that as long as they adhere to your personal sense of moral standards, you don't care.

Which is actually the exact same thing the rest of us are saying too. Just with different standards.

:lol: You've got a point there.

Except, I have to argue the point that I don't think I'm unique in abhorring child abuse or rape and feeling like those actions deserve swift and significant punishment. Those aren't really my personal sense of moral standards...they're basically the standards of behavior in society. And they have to be. A community cannot function if innocent citizens are left at the mercy of vicious, predatory individuals who are allowed to operate unfettered, with impunity. Society itself would cease, as fear would paralyze the populace, bringing with it astronomically increased hostility to anyone unknown to the individual.

So...and this is semantics, I'll state that right from the beginning...I don't know if those are even primarily issues of morality. Certainly, a lack of morals is self-evident in the condemnable actions of someone that commits a sexual assault. But the demand for adherence to the stipulation of, say, not raping people, stems from a public safety standard of living. Really, at the end of the day, the person isn't punished or removed from society due to their lack of morals and values. They receive the consequences they do because they have severley assaulted an innocent member of society.

As for Jake Long...until he is either an All American or an honorary All-American, I have to confess that I don't think that argument holds much water.

My uncles went to school with Derek brown when he was at servite high school. Derek told them personally that Nebraska was sending "middle men" around 3am to drop off envelopes with a few grand in them through his mail slot. He told them, trust me, by no means is Nebraska clean. They're just really sneaky and don't leave a trail.

My uncles went to school with Derek brown when he was at servite high school. Derek told them personally that Nebraska was sending "middle men" around 3am to drop off envelopes with a few grand in them through his mail slot. He told them, trust me, by no means is Nebraska clean. They're just really sneaky and don't leave a trail.

That's all? In the SEC they probably get 10 times that.