Sand

So they're allowed to wear gym shorts. They just choose not to. And the girls like it.

Tood, you know more high school players than I do. Do they ever say anything about the butt-huggers? I've never heard any player complain that they don't want to wear them.

I remember as a kid in junior high seeing some snatch before our volleyball players started wearing the butt-huggers. They all wore standard bikini style underwear under moderately short (at the time) shorts. They'd end up on the floor, feet in the air and you'd catch more than a 7th grader could hope for. The butt-huggers prevent that.

Now, I grew up in a really small, conservative Nebraska town - so I was a freshman (late 90's) before our HS girls finally went to the tights. A lot of girls had issues with it then. They didn't step out and say much because they didn't want their friends giving them sh#t. But plenty were uncomfortable the first few years. For one thing (and I'm saying this with a straight face not to start a bunch of jokes), many didn't own thong underwear. A couple of my good friends who were girls talked about having to go shopping with their moms (remember we were hours away from the nearest mall) to buy new underwear to avoid the lines and having to spend half a match picking their bikini style underwear out of their ass. I think it was just as awkward wearing the tights, as it was shopping with your mom to buy a few thongs.

Obviously, not much of that applies to girls today. They're in thongs by 7th grade - if they wear underwear at all. My wife coaches junior high VB, and her 7th graders are in tights and rarely does she have a girl or a parent take issue with it.

I'm pretty sure I read - but can't find it now - that there is a pretty limited time frame to play the sand season so I would imagine that the spring hard court season would go on as normal.

Also, in our case the two squads are the same but they wouldn't have to be so that would also indicate the the spring season would still be in place.

Here's the rule I was able to get from the AVCA handbook on Sand VB:

PLAYING AND PRACTICE SEASONS - SAND VOLLEYBALL, WOMEN ’S

Regulations for computing the women’s sand volleyball playing season are set forth in Bylaw

17.1. (See Figure 17-1 and Figure 17-2.) (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

17.17.1 Length of Playing Season. The length of an institution’s playing season in women’s sand

volleyball shall be limited to a 132-day season, which may consist of two segments (each

consisting of consecutive days) and which may exclude only required off days per Bylaw

17.1.6.4 and official vacation, holiday and final examination periods during which no practice or

competition shall occur. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

17.17.1.1 Women’s Volleyball Student-Athletes Participating in Women’s Sand Volleyball.

Women’s volleyball student-athletes listed as participants for women’s sand volleyball must

participate fully in women’s sand volleyball practices. If student-athletes are practicing

women’s volleyball skills unrelated to women’s sand volleyball, such practices must be counted

in the institution’s established segment in women’s volleyball. (Adopted:1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

17.17.2 Preseason Practice. A member institution shall not commence practice sessions in

women’s sand volleyball prior to September 7 or the institution’s first day of classes for the fall

term, whichever is earlier. (Adopted:1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

17.17.3 First Contest. A member institution shall not play its first contest (game or scrimmage)

with outside competition in women’s sand volleyball prior to the following dates: (Adopted:

1/15/11 effective 8/1/11)

(a) Nonchampionship Segment. September 7 or the institution’s first day of classes for the fall

term, whichever is earlier.

(b) Championship Segment. The first Thursday in March (see Figure 17-2).

17.17.4 End of Regular Playing Season. A member institution shall conclude all practice and

competition(games and scrimmages) in women’s sand volleyball by the conclusion of the

recognized national intercollegiate sand volleyball championship events. (Adopted: 1/15/11

effective 8/1/11)

17.17.5 Number of Dates of Competition.

17.17.5.1 Maximum Limitations—Institutional. A member institution shall limit its total playing

schedule with outside competition in women’s sand volleyball during the institution’s women’s

sand volleyball playing season to 16 dates of competition, including not more than two during

the segment in which the NCAA championship is not conducted, except for those dates of

competition excluded under Bylaws 17.17.5.3 and 17.17.5.4. (Adopted: 1/15/11 effective

8/1/11)

Also on the AVCA website I found this under General Sand Q&A -

Q. When is the Sand Volleyball season?

A. Sand Volleyball is a spring team sport, just like softball and baseball. The DII playing season may

begin after February 1 and ends with the school year; the DI playing season starts the 1st Thursday in

March and ends eight (8) weeks later or the end of the school year, whichever comes first.

Q. How many competitions must we play? How many can we play?

A. You must play at least eight (8) dates with three of the competitions being dual matches. The

maximum number of competitions is sixteen (16) dates.

So to answer your question, it looks like the season begins the first Thursday in March and ends eight weeks later or the end of the school year, whichever comes first. I'd guess most would go further than eight weeks, so that would probably be the timeframe.

Included a few of those other things in there for those that might be interested in them as well.

So they're allowed to wear gym shorts. They just choose not to. And the girls like it.

Tood, you know more high school players than I do. Do they ever say anything about the butt-huggers? I've never heard any player complain that they don't want to wear them.

I remember as a kid in junior high seeing some snatch before our volleyball players started wearing the butt-huggers. They all wore standard bikini style underwear under moderately short (at the time) shorts. They'd end up on the floor, feet in the air and you'd catch more than a 7th grader could hope for. The butt-huggers prevent that.

Now, I grew up in a really small, conservative Nebraska town - so I was a freshman (late 90's) before our HS girls finally went to the tights. A lot of girls had issues with it then. They didn't step out and say much because they didn't want their friends giving them sh#t. But plenty were uncomfortable the first few years. For one thing (and I'm saying this with a straight face not to start a bunch of jokes), many didn't own thong underwear. A couple of my good friends who were girls talked about having to go shopping with their moms (remember we were hours away from the nearest mall) to buy new underwear to avoid the lines and having to spend half a match picking their bikini style underwear out of their ass. I think it was just as awkward wearing the tights, as it was shopping with your mom to buy a few thongs.

Obviously, not much of that applies to girls today. They're in thongs by 7th grade - if they wear underwear at all. My wife coaches junior high VB, and her 7th graders are in tights and rarely does she have a girl or a parent take issue with it.

I have watched volleyball for years and I have always wondered what the girls wear under the tight shorts. Thongs? Do they actually play with that string between their cheeks? I just assumed they may not wear anything.

I have watched volleyball for years and I have always wondered what the girls wear under the tight shorts. Thongs? Do they actually play with that string between their cheeks? I just assumed they may not wear anything.

Sounds like you might not have been watching as much "volleyball" as you thought. :lol:

I'm pretty stoked for sand volleyball!!

Me too, except I don't think we'll get to see any matches anytime soon. The entire 2013 season is being played on the West Coast. If they put up a court here, it'll have to be outdoors (no indoor courts allowed), and who knows where they'll put it. They may try to play matches at an existing court like Spikes, but there are no grandstands there for viewing. If they build their own court it wouldn't take much doing, but they'd have to have facilities like lockers, public restrooms, bleachers, concessions... stuff like that.

I'm wondering where in the vicinity of the Devaney Center they'd put such a facility. Certainly they couldn't put it within a block of the building, since the winds in Spring would make some pretty odd currents around the Bob. Plus there really isn't much green space out there. Maybe somewhere else on Innovation Campus, the old fair grounds? That's a possibility, but who knows where they'd put it. I doubt they can put it anywhere on campus. Just no room right now.

Aren't there some newer sand courts by Smith Hall/Tennis Courts?

There are courts there, but they're not new. We were playing on those in the 80s back when I was at UNL.

EDIT - NM. I think I know what you're talking about. They're putting in some new Outdoor Life Center or something to the west of where the Reunion used to be, right? I drive through there whenever I take pictures of the stadium expansion but I haven't really paid attention to what they're doing there. Maybe I should. :D

We probably are close to the same age. And both from smaller Nebraska towns. However, you definately come from a more conservative town. The girls in our class were happy because they no longer had to wear underwear, let alone buy new G-strings :)

Cook was on Sports Nighty last week to talk about it. He said its great for the girls as this gives them training time with the coaches, and it's low impact, so they have less worry of injury. I guess they have similar situations in Track and Field. Cross Country is in the fall, and track in the spring, so a lot of runners do cross country to get the extra training time.

About the outfits, come on guys, these are young and very in shape girls. Some might have an issue with the uni at first, but from what I've seen (I'm no expert, I wholly admit I could be wrong) none of them seem to, it shows way less than what a one piece swimsuit, not to mention a bikini, would.