Coaching Raises (Tim Beck $)

QMany

Comparing what Nebraska spends on coaches to what Northwestern and Illinois spend is a ridiculous exercise. Where do we rank among teams that we think we are as good as? Where do we rank in both salary and years of coaching experience (at the D1 level) in comparison to Ohio State, Wisconsin (before the coaching change), Michigan, Alabama, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc.

As knapplc said, it isn't about salary. Nebraska could pay Papuchis $900,000, he's still going to be a mediocre defensive line coach (he's not the coordinator if he doesn't call the plays).

The problem here is we're not as good as those teams. With the exception of Wisconsin or Michigan we have a ways to go to be compared to those other teams you mentioned.

Paying more doesn't equate to better coaches. It's a "bang-for-your-buck" situation here. Great - we're #3 in assistant salaries. Then explain why our defense was historically bad this year.

I'm cool with paying the coaches the going wage. We should be competitive in salaries. But when we're forking over #3 dough, I expect #3 or better units. The defensive coaches have a long way to go before they're earning that pay.

Where would you rank us in the Big Ten?

We paid #3 money and were arguably #2 or #3 in the league.

I'd be pissed if I was Michigan.

We were #2 or #3 three in the conference solely based on our offense. On defense we were near the bottom of the pack in every category except pass defense, solely because every single team could run against us and didn't have to pass (or couldn't). Another thing contributing to that passing stat is that just about every Big Ten team was in the game against us to the very end, meaning they didn't have to pass to catch up to us.

I think you've gone a little off the deep end on the defense. Just a little perspective. Going into the bowl game, we did have the top rated pass defense in the nation and an over all defense in the top 30. All of this was done against a top 10 schedule. Yes there were major break downs but don't dismiss the entire body of work either. There is room for improvement but we're not dead in the water by a long way. Honestly, losing that many Dline from our two deep or having them play hurt all year it should have been worse.
  • Fire 2

Paying more doesn't equate to better coaches. It's a "bang-for-your-buck" situation here. Great - we're #3 in assistant salaries. Then explain why our defense was historically bad this year.

I'm cool with paying the coaches the going wage. We should be competitive in salaries. But when we're forking over #3 dough, I expect #3 or better units. The defensive coaches have a long way to go before they're earning that pay.

Where would you rank us in the Big Ten?

We paid #3 money and were arguably #2 or #3 in the league.

I'd be pissed if I was Michigan.

We were #2 or #3 three in the conference solely based on our offense. On defense we were near the bottom of the pack in every category except pass defense, solely because every single team could run against us and didn't have to pass (or couldn't). Another thing contributing to that passing stat is that just about every Big Ten team was in the game against us to the very end, meaning they didn't have to pass to catch up to us.

I think you've gone a little off the deep end on the defense. Just a little perspective. Going into the bowl game, we did have the top rated pass defense in the nation and an over all defense in the top 30. All of this was done against a top 10 schedule. Yes there were major break downs but don't dismiss the entire body of work either. There is room for improvement but we're not dead in the water by a long way. Honestly, losing that many Dline from our two deep or having them play hurt all year it should have been worse.

Now anyone can read between the lines and realize why Todd Peat wasn't playing.

None of this matters. Let's just come out and win the conference and National Championship next year so we don't have to read all the "we suck" posts.

It's husker board dude. There will always be We Suck posts.

If we did win a National Championship some people would just say we're lucky and should have went 5-7.

i hope that the pay raise that beck got motivates the other coaches to go out and do the best job possible, not saying they dont already

I would guess that since 5 of our guys (6 including Marrow) were offered other jobs and stayed they feel like Nebraska is a good place to be. I think UNL needs to show them some love and give them competitive money. I would also state that other coaches think our guys are doing something right too or they wouldn't come looking for them unsolicited. Perhaps those who know the game, understand the teachings and the schemes know a few more things than internet message board fans (many living in mom's basement) and a couple of clueless beat reporters from the OWH.

• Fire 1

Does anyone else think Fisher should be making a bit more?

His receivers had a GREAT year, but he has to prove himself a little more. He has coached at college level 6 years total.

Garrison has coached 4.

Five, I think.

I guess coaching at Nebraska for 5 years carries a little more weight on a resume than Idaho and the Rivers School in Weston, Mass.

I'm just playing devils advocate. I have no idea how they get these numbers. Papuchis got a raise.

There isn't much difference between 200k and 208k, or even 245k in Lincoln. They've got the assistants for the most part on fairly equal footing with one another. I wonder if Garrison is taking another title with his larger jump?

Yes, Garrison got a pretty nice bump. He must be impressing the right people like Bo and maybe Beck. My hope is that he becomes the head line coach and Barney moves laterally into another position in the athletic department or otherwise in the next couple of years.

All I know is that any employer is in a stronger position when it is the one that gets to make the decision to keep an employee or let him go. If that involves "overpaying" your better coaches and attempting to buy a little loyalty with golden handcuffs, so be it. It is far more expensive in the long run to have your best people cherry-picked by your competitors, leaving you with the dead wood that will never leave and a new vacancy that used to be one of your top performers.

I know that continuity isn't easy to achieve these days, but if there are little things that you can do to help the program stay on course, you should do them. We want to be in control of as much of our coaching turnover as we possibly can be.