Coaching Raises (Tim Beck $)

QMany

i hope that the pay raise that beck got motivates the other coaches to go out and do the best job possible, not saying they dont already

I would guess that since 5 of our guys (6 including Marrow) were offered other jobs and stayed they feel like Nebraska is a good place to be. I think UNL needs to show them some love and give them competitive money. I would also state that other coaches think our guys are doing something right too or they wouldn't come looking for them unsolicited. Perhaps those who know the game, understand the teachings and the schemes know a few more things than internet message board fans (many living in mom's basement) and a couple of clueless beat reporters from the OWH.

Nice job.

Cotton, in no way, shape, or form, deserves a raise.

He's more of an assistant to Beck than O-line coach

He's also assistant Head Coach and ran bowl practices while the other coaches were on the road. He seems to be satisfying Bo which is where the buck stops ultimately. So that's my guess as to why he got a raise. (sidebar: It's also my guess that our OL recruiting would be better if people weren't generating negative pub about their own coaches all the time.) And back to the topic on hand. Rant... All these coaches are way overpaid. Society is screwed up. Entertainment people get paid way too much as compared to teachers, fireman, ambulance drivers etc...etc... ESPN is evil. End of rant. p.s. I want a raise.

Going into the bowl game, we did have the top rated pass defense in the nation. . .

Which got thoroughly exposed once we finally faced a team capable of throwing a forward pass.

I think our pass defense's success was slightly inflated, as well. We didn't face a great NFL-caliber QB all year until Murray; although, we did face NFL caliber receivers. From my memory of the bowl game, there were occasions we were in position to make plays and simply didn't. And it wasn't that Georgia out-talented. I think we had plenty of talent in the secondary to compete, we just had defensive breakdowns and didn't make plays.

I mean Wisconsin was not a team that was 40 points better than us this year. We had the talent to beat them, as we proved in September. We chose to play with poor fundamentals, didn't tackle well, got pathetically out-coached and made bad adjustments in the B1G championship game.

That's not to say we aren't lacking talent/playmakers at important positions, because we are, especially on the defensive line. But, when facing quality opponents throughout the season, we were just far too inconsistent, and we got exposed when it mattered.

Beck must have been a lot closer to the door than many of us realized.

I was thinking the same thing!

My first thought: others came knocking, he stayed loyal, told the University, didn't entertain any offers, and got rewarded handsomely.

No, he entertained offers and got rewarded handsomely. You don't go from 350-700 without scaring your employer a little.

My guess is UTEP was in the same ball park with an offer & NU matched it, plus a little.

Yes, Garrison got a pretty nice bump. He must be impressing the right people like Bo and maybe Beck. My hope is that he becomes the head line coach and Barney moves laterally into another position in the athletic department or otherwise in the next couple of years.

My guess is once Sam is gone, Barney will retire. I don't see him being fired as long as Pelini is at NU, but I could see him pushed into a office job. Barney will be 59 when Sam finishes football at NU.

Paying more doesn't equate to better coaches. It's a "bang-for-your-buck" situation here. Great - we're #3 in assistant salaries. Then explain why our defense was historically bad this year.

I'm cool with paying the coaches the going wage. We should be competitive in salaries. But when we're forking over #3 dough, I expect #3 or better units. The defensive coaches have a long way to go before they're earning that pay.

Where would you rank us in the Big Ten?

We paid #3 money and were arguably #2 or #3 in the league.

I'd be pissed if I was Michigan.

We were #2 or #3 three in the conference solely based on our offense. On defense we were near the bottom of the pack in every category except pass defense, solely because every single team could run against us and didn't have to pass (or couldn't). Another thing contributing to that passing stat is that just about every Big Ten team was in the game against us to the very end, meaning they didn't have to pass to catch up to us.

I think you've gone a little off the deep end on the defense. Just a little perspective. Going into the bowl game, we did have the top rated pass defense in the nation and an over all defense in the top 30. All of this was done against a top 10 schedule. Yes there were major break downs but don't dismiss the entire body of work either. There is room for improvement but we're not dead in the water by a long way. Honestly, losing that many Dline from our two deep or having them play hurt all year it should have been worse.

Top-ten schedule according to straight wins/losses, not a true power ranking. Sagarin rated our schedule at 20th after Georgia. Prior to that I believe we were #32 in SOS. We played a decent schedule, not an elite schedule.

Examining our pass defense. We played zero top-ten passing offenses all year.

The highest-rated was Georgia (#30), and they torched us to the tune of 427 yards through the air.

The next-best passing offense we faced was UCLA (#34), who gained 309 yards.

The only conference foe ranked in the top 50 for passing was Penn State (#35) and they threw for 240 yards.

Next-best passing offense after that was Ark. State (#43), who simply didn't have the horses to compete with us, and we held them to 138 yards.

From there we're delving into the depths of D1 passing rankings to find the rest of our opponents:

Southern Miss - 108

Wisconsin - 111

Ohio State - 101

Northwestern - 106

Michigan - 94

Michigan State - 85

Minnesota - 105

Iowa - 99

The average ranking for these teams = 101st in the nation. More than half our schedule were in the bottom 1/4 in NCAA passing. Any time we played a decent to semi-decent passing team, we gave up yards, with the lone exception being a Sun Belt team.

I'm by no means "off the deep end" about our secondary. The myth that we had a "good" pass defense this year was founded largely on the fact that we played terrible passing teams.

• Fire 2

Paying more doesn't equate to better coaches. It's a "bang-for-your-buck" situation here. Great - we're #3 in assistant salaries. Then explain why our defense was historically bad this year.

I'm cool with paying the coaches the going wage. We should be competitive in salaries. But when we're forking over #3 dough, I expect #3 or better units. The defensive coaches have a long way to go before they're earning that pay.

Where would you rank us in the Big Ten?

We paid #3 money and were arguably #2 or #3 in the league.

I'd be pissed if I was Michigan.

We were #2 or #3 three in the conference solely based on our offense. On defense we were near the bottom of the pack in every category except pass defense, solely because every single team could run against us and didn't have to pass (or couldn't). Another thing contributing to that passing stat is that just about every Big Ten team was in the game against us to the very end, meaning they didn't have to pass to catch up to us.

I think you've gone a little off the deep end on the defense. Just a little perspective. Going into the bowl game, we did have the top rated pass defense in the nation and an over all defense in the top 30. All of this was done against a top 10 schedule. Yes there were major break downs but don't dismiss the entire body of work either. There is room for improvement but we're not dead in the water by a long way. Honestly, losing that many Dline from our two deep or having them play hurt all year it should have been worse.

Top-ten schedule according to straight wins/losses, not a true power ranking. Sagarin rated our schedule at 20th after Georgia. Prior to that I believe we were #32 in SOS. We played a decent schedule, not an elite schedule.

Examining our pass defense. We played zero top-ten passing offenses all year.

The highest-rated was Georgia (#30), and they torched us to the tune of 427 yards through the air.

The only conference foe ranked in the top 50 for passing was Penn State (#35) and they threw for 240 yards.

Next-best passing offense after that was Ark. State (#43), who simply didn't have the horses to compete with us, and we held them to 138 yards.

From there we're delving into the depths of D1 passing rankings to find the rest of our opponents:

Southern Miss - 108

Wisconsin - 111

Ohio State - 101

Northwestern - 106

Michigan - 94

Michigan State - 85

Minnesota - 105

Iowa - 99

The average ranking for these teams = 101st in the nation. More than half our schedule were in the bottom 1/4 in NCAA passing. Any time we played a decent to semi-decent passing team, we gave up yards, with the lone exception being a Sun Belt team.

I'm by no means "off the deep end" about our secondary. The myth that we had a "good" pass defense this year was founded largely on the fact that we played terrible passing teams.

It's the same myth as ABC and ESPN praising Texas's #1 rush defense leading up to the 2009 Big 12 championship game. Granted, our offense sucked that year and couldnt do anything against any defense with a pulse, but they acted like Texas had this incredible run defense, when they were playing in the Big 12 against teams that threw it all over the field 60 times/game. It's just one of them things that maybe should be judged by yards per attempt or completion as opposed to yards/game.

Those stats...they hurt. Bad.

To win our conference next year we need a drastic overhaul of our run defense, but still...those stats hurt.

Even if we gauge it by Pass Efficiency, which is more of a QB rating as opposed to a straight ranking based on yards gained, our opponents aren't that impressive:

Southern Miss - 117

UCLA - 29

Arkansas St. - 11

Wisconsin - 61

Ohio State - 46

Northwestern - 87

Michigan - 69

Michigan State - 114

Penn State - 59

Minnesota - 92

Iowa - 112

Wisconsin - 61

Georgia - 2

One top-ten Pass Efficiency rating by a team who torched us, we held Sun Belt team Arkansas State down even though they were statistically good passing (albeit against the #98 schedule), we played only four teams in the top 50 in Pass Efficiency this year. When every team you play is terrible at the forward pass, it becomes a lot easier to be statistically good at stopping the pass.

Even with playing woeful passing opponents, we didn't even average one INT per game, ending the season with 13 total in 14 games.

All any of this means is, we had a sub-par defense - which isn't breaking any new ground for anyone. But it also shows that I wasn't off the deep end (in THIS instance :D) when I said the reason we were the overall #2 or #3 team in the conference was solely due to the offense. The defense was not good. At all. And that's being kind.

Combine all that with one of the worst rush defenses in D1 - and the pass yards are going to be reduced drastically. Why pass when you can rattle off 10 yards a carry? And it's not like we had teams playing from behind either. Four 4th quarter comebacks? Those were against teams with large leads in the second half. They weren't passing from behind, they were running to grind out the clock.

There's not a single Nebraska defender in the top 100 players for passes defended. And we had a #1 pass defense going into the bowl?

2009 Defense had 3 such players: Prince (16), O'Hanlon (11), Suh (11).

2010 Defense had 2: Prince (13), Dennard (11)

No one broke 10 this year. 56 total passes broken up. 78 in 2009.