Best Receivers in NU History

TGHusker

Enunwa belongs on this list if guys like Hardy, Paul, and Turner are on there.... Also, where is Todd Peterson? The best WR we've had since Fryar is currently on the team (Bell)....

Peterson came to mind. I guess that's a deal where if Swift is on the list, Peterson has to be. I'm not for putting current players on it yet. No Bell, no Turner, no Quincy. Their careers are not over yet. knock on wood, but the jury's still out.

I understand not wanting too put their names on a "best" list because they haven't exhausted their eligibility, but all three will end up being good enough to be listed on the list the OP gave. There were some very average WR's listed there. Not that his list was "official" by any means....

I always liked Terrance Nunn - his reputation took a dive after the Texas fumble, but he had overall one of the best careers of any receiver at NU. Didn't he start as a freshman? He had a great game in the Alamo Bowl to help beat Michigan and was solid throughout his career. He faded some during his senior year but overall (except for that one fumble) was a bright spot during a dark time. I wouldn't necessarily put him near the top of the list, and I even think all of our current starters are better than Nunn, but I was always a big fan.

Nunn was overshadowed in his last year or two by Mo Purify, who I think was one of the most talented receivers we ever had. It's too bad Purify only really had a year and a half to play, and he was under-utilized. He seemed to be able to make insane grabs when the ball was not on target. In the 2007 Kansas game, which was a horrible debacle, one of the few bright spots was Purify having a really good game against Aqib Taalib, who was regarded as one of the best CBs in college football that year.

Kenny Bell has that same kind of ability as Purify to find the ball, with more speed, and four years to showcase it, which is really exciting.

Also, I lol'd at seeing Frantz Hardy's name anywhere close to a best-of list. Niles Paul had some good talent and flashes of brilliance, but way too many drops and mistakes (I think Paul's drops made us forget how many Hardy had). Paul had some clutch plays that won us a couple games, but some really bad performances that lost us a few. Never lived up to the hype.

Johnny Rodgers,

Irving Fryar

Todd Brown

Abdhul Muhammed

Nate turner

Curtis Craig

Richard Bell

Dana Brinson

Tyrone Hughes

Purify

I think your thinking of Nunn not Franz Hardy.

Mitch Krenk

Slick Steels

Chuck Malito

Ricky Simmons

Bostick

Swanson

Monte Englebritson

Some of these you can weed out but some need to be in there somewhere. These are in no order.

THIS is a much better list

Some left off:

Guy Ingles

Jerry List

Frosty Anderson

I think Terrance Nunn gets a bad rap for that Texas fumble. At some point fans have to not rag on their own players and credit the opponent for actaully making a play. There is not a receiver in the world that wouldntve fumble that ball. Should Billy C. have called a different play? Maybe. But that's just nitpicking. Texas was the defending National Champs, they were on the ropes on the road, and one of their guys made a huge play in a critical situation. I'll never hold it against Terrance.

Oversights in my original posts:

Irving Fryar (JUST a plain over 50 memory lapse. He's now on my top list),

Nate Turner

Todd Peterson - I just coundn't come up wt his name when I was thinking of Nate Swift - they were a great pair of receivers.

Terrance Nunn - like above thinking of Hardy and forgot about Nunn - who lost that fumble against texass. I agree with some others - I think he was overall a excellent WR

Why these guys are on my list:

Niles Paul -for conversation sake. He may have cost us games and I don't think he lived up to the hype. But he did have some good games - including the Mo game in the rain.

100-Yard Receiving Games

Niles Paul - 2 : # 6 154 yards & #9 143 yards

Frantz Hardy : #4 with 159 yards

Matt Davison 1 #1 with 167 yards His soph year (The Catch - was as a freshman)

Touchdowns in one game

3 by Frantz Hardy - tied with several of the above - Rodgers, F. Anderson, Purify, Kinnie, Wistrom, Bandras

TE:

TD Season: K. Reed 8

Receptions for Game: Herian 8

Yards for Season: Herian 1243

Receptions Season: McNeal 32

Receptions Career: McNeal 82

J. Turner and K. Bell are on my list because of pure potential - looking ahead on where I think they will be. Both I believe will be in the conversation - esp Bell.

After looking at the reception records I am amazed by 2 guys: Johnny Rodgers and Nate Swift

Johnny Rodgers - I keep thinking of him as the amazing special teams guy - but his numbers at WR are equal (therefore added him to my top team list)

Yards in a season: 942

Yards in career: 2479

TD Season: 11

TD Career: 25

Receptions Seasons: Nate Swift 63

Receptions Career: Nate Swift 166

Also, while Marlon Lucky was ultimately a very solid back for us, you seem to have left off the young gun that showed him us his senior year. Roy Helu was a great, great runningback for us.

I'll never for the 2010 Mizzou game when he put the team on his back, rushing for over 300 and the single game rushing record.

Helu was a great RB. I just don't remember how well he did in the reception area. I have lucky as my top reception RB because he holds many of our reception records as a RB. His ability to turn short 'dink' passes into something enable him to hold the records for yards gained in a season & career, He also has the RB reception records for game, season and career. Corey Ross and Rex were also very solid as RB receivers.

Junior Miller was an awesome tight end. Great hands and mowed people over once he had the ball. Johnny Mitchell not too far behind, but both of them at a higher level than TEs before and since.

Nate Swift was so dependable for so long maybe we take him for granted, but perhaps our best possession receiver ever.

I put Purify and Paul in the same category: as physical specimans they looked like the NFL quality wide receivers we never (or rarely) had here, but they couldn't deliver consistently and frankly you'd rather have Swift and Nunn out there. Enunwa has a chance to be both physical speciman and clutch receiver.

You have to put Johnny Rodgers and Irving Fryar on there.

I have childhood memories of Frosty Anderson catching game-breaking bombs. Chuck Malito, too. Maybe it's just because they had great names like Frosty and Mosquito and I was a kid. A lot of guys on this list were perfectly competent if not exactly great.

If Kenny Bell didn't play another down he'd still go on this list.

I think you have to go with Irving Fryar and Johnny Rogers as the top 2 just because no one else accomplished what these 2 did at Nebraska in their respective generations.

After that I think you can just about fill in #3 to whatever number you choose for the other good receivers.

For RB's, I would pick Marlon Lucky, Brandon Jackson, Rex Burkhead. No particular order but these 3 were damn good at catching.

TE's: Johnny Mitchell and Matt Herian would be my #1 and #2.

I think if it was bigger part of the Nebraska gameplan, a lot of Husker running backs would have better receiving numbers.

Marlon Lucky had good hands and good instincts, but quick outs and dump-offs to the running back were failsafe plays of the West Coast Offense. Lucky and Jackson benefitted from Callahan's system in a way other running backs didn't.

Burkhead has good receiving instincts and that's gonna help his NFL stock.