Dirks Turnover Article

jmfb

Another thing I noticed to during a rewatch, the first INT against Michigan State, Taylor was hit in the arm (also the head in the same way that got a penalty later in the game) that altered the pass making it look like he threw it straight to the MSU defender.

Freak turnovers are going to happen that aren't necessarily the fault of the player, especially when it comes to interceptions and fumbles while passing. If a QB gets blind-sided because his left tackle got beat, that's not really on the quarterback.

I would say those probably only account for a couple of overall turnovers though. Even if you take em away, we still have problems.

EVERYONE has freak turnovers

ALMOST everyone has o-line misques

This has been a consistent problem for the last 5 years and an awful problem for the last 3

This isnt coinicidence, bad breaks or rotten luck

I would argue weve been AWFULLY lucky getting a bunch of those fumbles back- fumbles that could have easily cost us games

We arent a triple option team (even Osbornes teams had MUCH better TO ratios) we shouldnt have anything like the numbers we have

This isnt something minor

A completely DIFFERENT approach/accountablility/focus has to be implemented

Small tweaks wont solve the problem- this is a Macro/Team Defining problem and #1 reason why our teams are irrelevant nationally

Im a 40 year season ticket holder AND fan, supporter

This article was fairly written- pretty much just the facts

Very good research IMO

Another thing I noticed to during a rewatch, the first INT against Michigan State, Taylor was hit in the arm (also the head in the same way that got a penalty later in the game) that altered the pass making it look like he threw it straight to the MSU defender.

Freak turnovers are going to happen that aren't necessarily the fault of the player, especially when it comes to interceptions and fumbles while passing. If a QB gets blind-sided because his left tackle got beat, that's not really on the quarterback.

I would say those probably only account for a couple of overall turnovers though. Even if you take em away, we still have problems.

We definitely have a problem with turnovers, I just had this observation while rewatching the MSU game. Probably should have been a penalty, especially with the way the refs were calling that game.

For comparison, Alabama had 24 fumbles (lost 12) and threw three INTs.

Their opponents threw 18 INTs and fumbled 24, Alabama recovering 11.

They also had one of the better Offensive Lines, well, ever.

But yes, we need to hold on to the ball.

I am not trying to minimize Taylor's interceptions, but about half of those came late in the game when it was very apparent that our defense could not hold up and we had to match them score for score. Late in the game in those blowouts we were completely one dimensional and had to throw due to the clock. There were a lot of times he just had to take some big risks. It paid off in some of those comebacks and in others it bit us in the butt. At the same time I guess you could say that every QB has a certain number of picks that you could chaulk up to desperation time.

I am not trying to minimize Taylor's interceptions, but about half of those came late in the game when it was very apparent that our defense could not hold up and we had to match them score for score. Late in the game in those blowouts we were completely one dimensional and had to throw due to the clock. There were a lot of times he just had to take some big risks. It paid off in some of those comebacks and in others it bit us in the butt. At the same time I guess you could say that every QB has a certain number of picks that you could chaulk up to desperation time.

Taylor's picks made a huge difference in the Ohio State game and the Wisconsin game, as well as the Cap One bowl. He has definitely thrown interceptions at big moments that matter greatly. The biggest problem Taylor has isn't even INTs though, which only get attention for how terrible most of them look. It's fumbles. Any time you lead the nation in fumbles individually for 3 straight years - that's a huge problem.

Any time you lead the nation in fumbles individually for 3 straight years - that's a huge problem.

That one cant be made excuses for- leading the nation in fumbles 3 years in a row- thats a you problem

LOTS of teams out there have to come from behind to win

LOTS of teams out there have offensive lines that are less than perfect

He chooses to play carelessly with the ball

We have others that seem to have a hard time keeping possession as well

This isnt a little thing- we "have to get cleaned up" with a few drills and talks

This is something that has consistently made our program irrelevant

What has been done in the past simply hasnt worked at all- the articles numbers are spot on

If we continue to address this in the way it has in the past but "try harder" isnt going to do the trick, expect the same results

Had we not had "luck" go our way in 2012 with some of the fumbles we got back along with dropped Interceptions- we could have easily been a 6 loss+ team

Taylor's picks made a huge difference in the Ohio State game and the Wisconsin game, as well as the Cap One bowl. He has definitely thrown interceptions at big moments that matter greatly. The biggest problem Taylor has isn't even INTs though, which only get attention for how terrible most of them look. It's fumbles. Any time you lead the nation in fumbles individually for 3 straight years - that's a huge problem.

Agree on all counts. Just pointing out the obvious I guess. Many of his picks were in desperation time.

As far as the fumbles go, no excuses. None. The fact that this hasn't been addressed is painfully obvious. Hopefully this is the year we get it figured out.

I couldn't read more than a couple of lines from this dousche bag. It wouldn't be so bad if he would give them some credit for the goood they do but EVERYTHING he writes is negative and not the constructive critisism type.

That is entirely untrue, especially related to this article. What about this article is incorrect or slanted? He quantified something we all know is a legitimate problem on this team, and said we can't win big until we clean it up. He even said "Nebraska can do it, too."

I'm not the largest fan of Dirk, but he's a good writer, and I bet if I slapped Steve Sipple's name on this article and showed it to this board nobody would be complaining about it.

He's stating the pretty damn obvious. I don't care how far into detail he went, putting too much stock into how "insightful" this is would be equivalent to people getting mad when Bo says "We didn't execute."

Good stats,, but Dirk isn't telling anyone anything new.

He's stating the pretty damn obvious. I don't care how far into detail he went, putting too much stock into how "insightful" this is would be equivalent to people getting mad when Bo says "We didn't execute."

Good stats,, but Dirk isn't telling anyone anything new.

It's obvious only if you look up the information yourself. He simply collected it and plotted it in a way that made it easy for everybody to understand, including the fans that don't frequent this message board or spend their day looking up Husker stats (which, I hate to break it to some people, is the vast majority of Husker fans - ones that don't get on the message boards).

If people don't like Dirk that's fine, but I think people are being unreasonable. Slap Sipple's or Christopherson's name on this and nobody would complain, but because it's Dirk, people freak.

As a Dirk-hater, this isnt one of his works that i have a problem with. I was fine with it. It was kinda pointing out the obvious, but like has been said before, he did go through the work to plot out the details and such. It's his terd-stirrin writing I cant stand, when he's trying to insinuate "cracks in the foundation" of the program.

And if you dont like Dirk simply because he writes with an honest, negative base, you probably need to read more Sip'.