Dirks Turnover Article

jmfb

I couldn't read more than a couple of lines from this dousche bag. It wouldn't be so bad if he would give them some credit for the goood they do but EVERYTHING he writes is negative and not the constructive critisism type.

That is entirely untrue, especially related to this article. What about this article is incorrect or slanted? He quantified something we all know is a legitimate problem on this team, and said we can't win big until we clean it up. He even said "Nebraska can do it, too."

I'm not the largest fan of Dirk, but he's a good writer, and I bet if I slapped Steve Sipple's name on this article and showed it to this board nobody would be complaining about it.

That is what touched a nerve with me. Football isn't that simple. Turnovers are a problem yes, but so is giving up 500+ yards in multiple games. Those two combined led us to be a 10-4 team, it wasn't just turnovers. Clean up turnovers and we maybe get another win or two, fix the defense and we maybe talking about only losing one game.

I couldn't read more than a couple of lines from this dousche bag. It wouldn't be so bad if he would give them some credit for the goood they do but EVERYTHING he writes is negative and not the constructive critisism type.

That is entirely untrue, especially related to this article. What about this article is incorrect or slanted? He quantified something we all know is a legitimate problem on this team, and said we can't win big until we clean it up. He even said "Nebraska can do it, too."

I'm not the largest fan of Dirk, but he's a good writer, and I bet if I slapped Steve Sipple's name on this article and showed it to this board nobody would be complaining about it.

That is what touched a nerve with me. Football isn't that simple. Turnovers are a problem yes, but so is giving up 500+ yards in multiple games. Those two combined led us to be a 10-4 team, it wasn't just turnovers. Clean up turnovers and we maybe get another win or two, fix the defense and we maybe talking about only losing one game.

That's fair, but I don't think Dirk really meant that, and I don't think he would say "clean up the turnovers and we're BCS title contenders." When I read this, I took it as this - turnovers are a problem, but not the only problem, and they need to be addressed. And he's completely right about that.

Of course, you look at our turnover margin and you have to be amazed we won 10 games. I don't know how we did.

But like I said, I don't think Dirk meant that's the only thing we need to fix, and I didn't take it as him saying that. There are several other things wrong with this team (lack of visible leadership, several things on the defense, poor coaching cohesion), but mentioning those in this article serves no purpose and is irrelevant.

As an alternate perspective, that's kind of incredible that Bo is able to consistently pull 9-10 win seasons, gone to championship games 3 out of his 5 years and going to the best non-BCS bowl game the past two years. I know those turnovers are the difference between winning and losing championships but to even be in championship contention makes me feel a tad appreciative of the state of our program given the lowly company we're keeping in the turnover department. Our 10 win season sticks out like a sore thumb in that list in the second column. I'm inclined, as a irrationally fervent supporter of Bo, to think that it's his coaching intangibles, intensity, and flat out stellar coaching ability that he's able to draw those results from his teams with such a significant amount of self-imposed obstacles. Most other BCS coaches seem like they could hardly top 6 wins in any of those given seasons if dealt a similar set of circumstances.

It's really the only thing holding us back (hoping the past two years' lack of turnover production is an anomaly). If we clean that up, we will be consistently top 10 ( I know it's a big IF and coaches have been talking about it for years). But the thing is, it's really the only thing we need to improve as a program and it's really the only fix (grouped with penalties). If we keep hammering away at it, the floodgates will really open in the wins department. Comfortable wins on a more regular basis will return back to Memorial stadium once this gets fixed. But it is no justification to fire Bo and set this program back an extra 30 years.

That's just it. It is all he writes about (The Problems on the team)

Not true

See the statistics

There arent any 1 loss teams with anywhere near the turnover margin we had

You simply cant be a top 10 team and turnover the ball like we have consistently done the last 3 seasons

The statistics in that article prove it, not even close. You CANT be a team in the bottom 10 in turnover margin and be in the top 10, you most likely WILL be in the top 10 if you are in the top 10 in turnover margin

And if you really analyze the Ohio St game, Taylor threw a pick 6. He threw another int in our own territory that resulted in a score. We gave up a punt return for TD. Now we scored 38 points as it was. Technically our defense only gave up 49 points. We're right back in the game. Now, if you really nitpick the fact that our offense put our defense in a bad spot or two, you could maybe save another score. Ohio St's final TD was in garbage time. Then throw in the psychological reversal if the turnovers and mistakes dont happen and yes, it couldve been a totally different game. Yes, our defense was bad at times, but there were times they didnt get any help from the offense.

And if you really analyze the Ohio St game, Taylor threw a pick 6. He threw another int in our own territory that resulted in a score. We gave up a punt return for TD. Now we scored 38 points as it was. Technically our defense only gave up 49 points. We're right back in the game. Now, if you really nitpick the fact that our offense put our defense in a bad spot or two, you could maybe save another score. Ohio St's final TD was in garbage time. Then throw in the psychological reversal if the turnovers and mistakes dont happen and yes, it couldve been a totally different game. Yes, our defense was bad at times, but there were times they didnt get any help from the offense.

Don't forget the opportunity cost of turning the ball over. We had 14 "real" drives in that game. We scored on 6, punted on 4, and turned it over on 4. Without getting too specific, you could say that we would score on 60% of those 4 possessions had we not turned it over at an average rate of 3.8 points per possession. That puts us up to 53.2 points.

Turnovers are absolute killers, ESPECIALLY when you have a good offense like we do. And when the other team has a good offense like Wisconsin and Ohio State do, turnovers become 14 points swings pretty easily.

Don't forget the opportunity cost of turning the ball over. We had 14 "real" drives in that game. We scored on 6, punted on 4, and turned it over on 4. Without getting too specific, you could say that we would score on 60% of those 4 possessions had we not turned it over at an average rate of 3.8 points per possession. That puts us up to 53.2 points.

Turnovers are absolute killers, ESPECIALLY when you have a good offense like we do. And when the other team has a good offense like Wisconsin and Ohio State do, turnovers become 14 points swings pretty easily.

Well said

That's why you arent going to be a top 10 team when you are in the bottom 10 in turnover margin- you have 0% chance

I wonder if the University has someone employed on the football staff to record stats. If they do, that person should be fired and we should just let the OWH let Dirk keep writing stat filled articles on how we are not as good a a NC. This way we could free up the cash that is needed to keep our assistants paid well.

I really don't care one way or another about Dirk but these articles he is writing are stupid. It doesn't take someone with a journalism degree or any degree for that matter to understand what we saw on television this past year. Turnovers hurt your team. And the less you turn the ball over and the more you force your opponent to turnover, the better you are. Wow summed up his whole article in 2 sentences.

If people don't like Dirk that's fine, but I think people are being unreasonable. Slap Sipple's or Christopherson's name on this and nobody would complain, but because it's Dirk, people freak.

The issue I have is hardly with the fact that Dirk wrote it. My issue is that in the single game this program needed the most (the CCG), clown music sounded throughout the stadium when our defense took the field.

That single fact for me is enough to completely refute the line of "These turnovers stood in our way of being a top 10 team." That's ridiculous, because we had a respectable 10-2 regular season record despite the turnovers. That's just how good we are offensively. We could have wound up a top 10 team if our defense would have just shown up to play in that one single game...not to mention the other reasons on the long list of reasons we needed that win.