Braylon Heard Transferring...

Interesting article Braylon should take note of:

According to the NFL Players Association, the average career of an NFL tailback lasts 2.57 years. The more pounding a player takes for free (in high school) or for a scholarship (in college), the less he can take for big money in the NFL. Because backs absorb the hardest hits whether they're carrying or blocking, they are the most at risk to suffer a career-ending injury on a given play. That has made tailback the most expendable position in the NFL, and it has forced Saban and other coaches to change how they use and recruit tailbacks. If high school tailbacks are smart, it should change how they choose a college program. The schools that can divide the workload should have the advantage.

Read More: http://sportsillustr.../#ixzz2Ja5Vj79m

Interesting article Ameer should take note of.

He is a special competitor. I don't think this article would change his position at all, he wants the ball everytime, like Rex....

He is a special competitor. I don't think this article would change his position at all, he wants the ball everytime, like Rex....

That's the point - they all want the ball more. Nothing special about it. They (and the staff) need to worry more about quality over quantity. Yards per carry, over yards per game. And it will become an even bigger issue for backs as teams continue to increase the offensive tempo.

That's the point - they all want the ball more. Nothing special about it. They (and the staff) need to worry more about quality over quantity. Yard per carry, over yards per game. And it will become an even bigger issue for backs as teams continue to increase the offensive tempo.

That was my point as well.... They do all want the ball, but I think Ameer is a little different than most (has some Rex in him). Is it best for him in the long run to get so many carries? Probably not, but good luck getting the ball out of this kid's hands....

I'm sure glad Scott Frost and Zac Taylor left their original schools for "greener pastures".

Yes I know they both left after coaching changes but the fact is they both left their original schools.

Both of these cases resulted in the players actually looking to play in more difficult situations/competition levels. Both of these players also made huge impacts here at Nebraska. Chances are Heard is going to be playing lesser competition when this all settles.

That's the point - they all want the ball more. Nothing special about it. They (and the staff) need to worry more about quality over quantity. Yard per carry, over yards per game. And it will become an even bigger issue for backs as teams continue to increase the offensive tempo.

That was my point as well.... They do all want the ball, but I think Ameer is a little different than most (has some Rex in him). Is it best for him in the long run to get so many carries? Probably not, but good luck getting the ball out of this kid's hands....

It's not his decision. Beck's calling the plays, Brown is make the calls as to who is in there, etc. If it weren't for injuries, Rex would be heading into the NFL with 800-900+ carries, 300-400 more than some of these other backs getting picked ahead of him. That's the equivalent of 2 years of wear and tear more. If you are Newby/Taylor, or Heard/Aaron Green...you need to be looking at is as though you're are prolonging your income potential in the NFL for multiple years. Splitting carries makes you millions, it doesn't cost you millions like they seem to think.

It's not his decision. Beck's calling the plays, Brown is make the calls as to who is in there, etc. If it weren't for injuries, Rex would be heading into the NFL with 800-900+ carries, 300-400 more than some of these other backs getting picked ahead of him. That's the equivalent of 2 years of wear and tear more. If you are Newby/Taylor, or Heard/Aaron Green...you need to be looking at is as though you're are prolonging your income potential in the NFL for multiple years. Splitting carries makes you millions, it doesn't cost you millions.

(It could in draft positioning).... I see your point but it is alos Beck's job to make sure this offense is at it's best, and if you need Ameer on the field to do that, then that is what he will do as long as he is healthy...

(It could in draft positioning).... I see your point but it is alos Beck's job to make sure this offense is at it's best, and if you need Ameer on the field to do that, then that is what he will do as long as he is healthy...

Not as much with the new collective bargaining agreement and rookie salary scale in the NFL. The big payday comes on their first free agent contract. A RB has to make it there, though....

Not as much with the new collective bargaining agreement and rookie salary scale in the NFL. The big payday comes on their first free agent contract. A RB has to make it there, though....

My original point was, these kids feel invincible, and stories like this one won't make a kid go to their coach and ask for 10 carries a game taken off their workload....

My original point was, these kids feel invincible, and stories like this one won't make a kid go to their coach and ask for 10 carries a game taken off their workload....

No one said Ameer was going to be asking for less carries. I think you read the article from a different angle then I did. This is how things are trending, and part of the reasoning behind our ability to sign two top notch recruits at the position. It's also something that Heard should take note of (and our future recruits) when he's worried about getting 100 carries next year instead of 300.

No one said Ameer was going to be asking for less carries. I think you read the article from a different angle then I did. This is how things are trending, and part of the reasoning behind our ability to sign two top notch recruits at the position. It's also something that Heard should take note of (and our future recruits) when he's worried about getting 100 carries next year instead of 300.

No matter how you shake it though, I think Heard just wants to be the primary back at some point and has little confidence that it will happen with Ameer ahead of him. I'm guessing if Ameer was a senior Heard would be much less antsy to leave. I think most backs could buy into the logic of that article, and even embrace it, but all want to at least be the number one guy at some point. It's too bad because who knows whats going to happen. Maybe Ameer tears it up this year and decides to go pro. Maybe he gets hurt and Heard becomes the number one guy. It has really worked out well for Bama having their back-ups at RB at least a couple years behind the starter. I'm not so sure Richardson, Lacy or Yeldon would have been willing to take a back-up role if their counterparts were in the same class as them.

Just occurred to me that at Alabama the next in line probably is next in line because the guys who are in the same class with the starter transferred out already. Just a guess.

No matter how you shake it though, I think Heard just wants to be the primary back at some point and has little confidence that it will happen with Ameer ahead of him. I'm guessing if Ameer was a senior Heard would be much less antsy to leave. I think most backs could buy into the logic of that article, and even embrace it, but all want to at least be the number one guy at some point. It's too bad because who knows whats going to happen. Maybe Ameer tears it up this year and decides to go pro. Maybe he gets hurt and Heard becomes the number one guy. It has really worked out well for Bama having their back-ups at RB at least a couple years behind the starter. I'm not so sure Richardson, Lacy or Yeldon would have been willing to take a back-up role if their counterparts were in the same class as them.

I would put money on Ameer getting hurt at some point this year. Helu had the shoulder, Burkhead the foot, then the knee. Abdulla was wore out by seasons end. Rex similar the prior year. Lucky was out toward the end of his senior season with turf toe. Jackson was injurred plenty, shoulder then a hand. It's almost a given when you're expected to carry the ball 300 times a season.

I would put money on Ameer getting hurt at some point this year. Helu had the shoulder, Burkhead the foot, then the knee. Abdulla was wore out by seasons end. Rex similar the prior year. Lucky was out toward the end of his senior season with turf toe. Jackson was injurred plenty, shoulder then a hand. It's almost a given when you're expected to carry the ball 300 times a season.

Good point.

Good point.

Cmon guys. Rex's injury on his 3rd or 4th carry of the year had nothing to do with his 300 carries the year before. Based on how he looked on his first TD run against Southern Miss, he was as fresh and shaped up as he had ever been. Yes, Abdullah could get hurt. It's a high probability of injury position. I just dont agree that it'll have anything to do with his workload of a full year prior (or as little as 8 months if youre technical about it).

Good point.

Cmon guys. Rex's injury on his 3rd or 4th carry of the year had nothing to do with his 300 carries the year before. Based on how he looked on his first TD run against Southern Miss, he was as fresh and shaped up as he had ever been. Yes, Abdullah could get hurt. It's a high probability of injury position. I just dont agree that it'll have anything to do with his workload of a full year prior (or as little as 8 months if youre technical about it).

Absolutely right. Check that against Brown's reaction to Shatel's question about why he wasn't spelling Ameer more in the other thread. RB is a high-injury position. The risk is obviously increased in a run-first offense. This topic is getting worn out (it's the best we have until signing day and Spring Game, I guess), but playing time should not be a reason to transfer for this back at this point in his career.