Braylon Heard Transferring...

I think it's difficult to state that "ameer was better," when we really don't have much tape on Braylon. And when he did carry the ball, he avg something like 8 yards per. That's a pretty big number to refute.

I can refute that number pretty easily. Those yards came mostly in garbage time correct? AA seemed to have gained some shiftyness that was almost...dare I say very Rex like in the 2012 season. He was gaining yards when he looked dead in the water. Like others have said, the coaches were playing their best option.

I wouldnt say garbage time. Braylon had some very successful carries in meaningful time. But like I said, it was more situational. "Let's put Braylon to work here on a jet sweep, see if we cant get him loose" and he picks up 10 yards. That kind of thing.

• Fire 1

Nebraska had one of the most prolific offenses in the nation last year; Heard was just a small part of that so I think we will be fine. I do believe that he has talent and potential and I hate that he is leaving. But having said that... the reality of the situation is that when a team brings in stud recruits every year, in this day and age of college football, it is only natural that some talented people will transfer. Just my take.

Most prolific in the nation? Eh! Maybe the B1G. One of the most prolific would mean top 5-10 IMO.. I don't think we were that high.

I said... "one of" the most prolific offenses in the nation. I stand by that statement, and the statistics show it to be true.

Im ok with you standing by your statement. It just says a lot about what your idea of most prolific is. We were #26 in the nation in total offense and #28 in scoring offense! If they had a top 25 poll for these categories we wouldn't be ranked! Just sayin! Your most prolific in the nation means 20% of the field. Mine would include the top 5-10 teams.

Oh and by putting "one of" in quotes doesn't have the desired effect you think it does.

I think it's difficult to state that "ameer was better," when we really don't have much tape on Braylon. And when he did carry the ball, he avg something like 8 yards per. That's a pretty big number to refute.

I can refute that number pretty easily. Those yards came mostly in garbage time correct? AA seemed to have gained some shiftyness that was almost...dare I say very Rex like in the 2012 season. He was gaining yards when he looked dead in the water. Like others have said, the coaches were playing their best option.

I can remember decent amount of times where Braylon would relieve Ameer for a play or two and run a toss sweep for 10 yards. I'm not trying to say that he is better than Ameer, just that obviously when it comes to being serviceable, Braylon can get the job done. There is no need to race one horse when you have a stable of capable ones.

Nebraska had one of the most prolific offenses in the nation last year; Heard was just a small part of that so I think we will be fine. I do believe that he has talent and potential and I hate that he is leaving. But having said that... the reality of the situation is that when a team brings in stud recruits every year, in this day and age of college football, it is only natural that some talented people will transfer. Just my take.

Most prolific in the nation? Eh! Maybe the B1G. One of the most prolific would mean top 5-10 IMO.. I don't think we were that high.

I said... "one of" the most prolific offenses in the nation. I stand by that statement, and the statistics show it to be true.

Im ok with you standing by your statement. It just says a lot about what your idea of most prolific is. We were #26 in the nation in total offense and #28 in scoring offense! If they had a top 25 poll for these categories we wouldn't be ranked! Just sayin! Your most prolific in the nation means 20% of the field. Mine would include the top 5-10 teams.

Oh and by putting "one of" in quotes doesn't have the desired effect you think it does.

It's hard to rank offenses in my mind. Is Kansas St's offense really better than ours? They play NO ONE that has a legitimate defense. Where as Nebraska faced defenses week in and week out that were pretty solid. I thought we had a legitimate top 25 offensive unit. One has to base it off of more than just stats and numbers.

It's hard to rank offenses in my mind. Is Kansas St's offense really better than ours? They play NO ONE that has a legitimate defense. Where as Nebraska faced defenses week in and week out that were pretty solid. I thought we had a legitimate top 25 offensive unit. One has to base it off of more than just stats and numbers.

I was just thinking this. SEVEN of the Top-25 are from the Big XII where there is ZERO defense.

So, let's say next year Ameer shows that he is even better and Cross, Newby and Taylor all prove they are servicable and can get the job done. NOW, let's also say that we go out and recruit two more absolute stud RBs in the 2014 class.

We go into the 2014 season with 4 players with experience and two true freshmen that are supposed to be all world. I guess that year all RBs should be on the field because it is ridiculous to sit good talent on the bench no matter if they have a full grasp of the play book.

If that doesn't happen and after the season one of these studs transfers, then I guess it was roster mismanagement and the coaches didn't do their job.

I hear what you're saying account and I agree! I'm disagreeing with labeling us as one of the most prolific. I think we were capable but the numbers don't add up to being that high powered. Also a telling stat- #40 in the nation in 3rd down conversion percentage.

I can remember decent amount of times where Braylon would relieve Ameer for a play or two and run a toss sweep for 10 yards. I'm not trying to say that he is better than Ameer, just that obviously when it comes to being serviceable, Braylon can get the job done. There is no need to race one horse when you have a stable of capable ones.

I also remember some instances when we were on a roll with Ameer/Rex and Braylon came in and had a negative play.

The drive that starts at the 2 hour, ten minute mark is a good example. And it really killed the steam on good looking drive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1VEJ6U30J8

Obviously we can disagree and find evidence to support our claims one way or the other.

I think it's fair to say that the coaches staff completely botched this situation. According to the OWH, over a four-game stretch in the Big Ten after Rex went down, he only recorded 10 carries while Ameer recorded 95. There's no reason to distribute the ball that unevenly, especially considering how fatigued Ameer looked at the end of the season.

Rumors of injury to Heard's leg, though. I have no idea what's true. Everyone is banged up that time of year. You'd think that if he's able to get 10 carries he can get 20, maybe 30. That's a heck of a lot less wear on Ameer, and better "roster management" (at the risk of irritating BRB, sorry).

This has been my point all along. When you have as many good RBs as Nebraska did last year (and 2010), why ride one so much? Keep him fresher by running the subs more. It has the dual positive effect of making the backups happy that they are seeing more playing time and keeping the starter from taking more hits than they need to. The perfect example: Arkansas State game last year. That game was never really in doubt with a 28-3 halftime score. Yet Abdullah had 30 carries, Cross 7, and Heard 10.

Michigan: Abdullah 24 carries, Cross 2, Heard 0.

Michigan State: Abdullah 22 carries, Cross 0, Heard 0.

Penn State: Abdullah 31, Cross 8, Heard 3.

For the people saying that Heard's YPC stat was high because he was playing "garbage time". Well, that's bogus too. Take the Iowa game for example, with a 13-7 final score, there was no garbage time. Abdullah 14 carries 50 yards. Heard 4 carries 46 yards. Sure, maybe Abduallah wore down the defense some for Heard to break off bigger runs... but that's exactly the point. You want to be using multiple backs and keeping everyone fresh, right?

Don't take this as me saying Abdullah isn't a good back, I think he's a great back. But to say there was no place for Heard to get more carries last year seems crazy.

I wouldnt say garbage time. Braylon had some very successful carries in meaningful time. But like I said, it was more situational. "Let's put Braylon to work here on a jet sweep, see if we cant get him loose" and he picks up 10 yards. That kind of thing.

100% agree with your verbage. Situational was a much better term. I'll go with that.

Braylon, you know you want to stay!

Unfortunately, at this point with the cat out of the bag, and two days of speculation as to why, how, and when, it's probably too late. And, frankly, we'd all be better off now if he did just go through with it. The secrets out now that he is not 100% :bigredn: . I'm NOT questioning his character. I just see that it is what it is at this point.