Braylon Heard Transferring...

Common denominator, IMO, is the staff really hasn't shown developing experienced depth, developing players and rotating guys out with the starters is their strong suit. In the skill positions at least, the starter will start until they graduate. This needs to change. If we have game changers at certain positions (even if true fresh) the staff needs to find a way to get the talent on the field.

To use an old adage, one is none, two is one and three is too many.........................

We lose a kid who averages 7 yrds per touch is going to hurt. People say Cross isn't an every down back, no break away speed etc....... Now, IMO, the fastest guy we have leaves and no one really seems to care? There is talk of the "great guys we have in the wings". These guys haven't played a down and folks think that they will be better than Heard? The same kid who busted his a$$ to get here and now just walks away? The same kid who last season played when he was injured per the staff (IIRC had Rex not gone down Heard would have had surgery?)

• Fire 2

We will all realize he will not be as big a loss as we think. Hell if rex doesn't get injured, he wouldn't have even got half of those carries. Sure i wish he wasn't leaving and he would have been a solid backup but Newby and Taylor are studs. I wouldn't be surprised if Newby pushes Ameer for split carries. I think we redshirt Taylor. Ameer and Newby with Cross for short yard situations is scary.

How do you know the two freshman are studs in D1 college football? I remember a 5* stud that was coming in and he sucked running the ball.

Remember Marlon Lucky?

I am still holding out hope that the coaches can all get back off of the road and have a couple of "sit downs" with Braylon and sway him to stay. I really, really like this guy and felt that he was primarily under used a lot this season, but the staff has their reasons. Seemed like he was the best "fake-back" or "decoy" in our offense. 80% (estimating) of all of his plays, seemed to be him coming in motion, T-mart faking the give on jet sweep and QB keep....

He has a ton of talent. Coaches aren't blind. There must be a reason they thought about moving him to DB and now exploring the slot-back view. We, as fans, don't see everything (or anything for that matter) that goes on at practice or film room or inside the program. I already said that I thought he was under used, but at the same time, I am in no position to second guess the staff for their reasoning.

Hate to see him leave.....talented. C'mon Braylon, stay RED ! We have had a ton of players throughout the years, think about leaving, or actually leave for a short while (Crouch) and come back to be great, great players. I have had the opportunity to know many players, and I would say that over 1/2 wanted to , or thought about leaving at some point during their career... not uncommon.

People are trying way too hard to overstate how much we'll miss him.

Unless he plays for a conference rival, how well he does at the school he transfers to is completely irrelevant. He's gone, and no amount of praise toward him will bring him back.

Like Viper said to Maverick Mavric after Goose died, "you gotta let 'em go."

I still have this glimmer of hope he stays simply because of how this whole thing was played out. It seems to have caught the staff by surprise. And it was initially reported by his hometown newspaper-across the country. I'm thinking he expressed his thoughts on the idea of transferring and it got leaked and has transpired into this story. Even though a source within the program confirms he is leaving, the fact that he's sticking around through the spring semester (it was mentioned, correct me if I'm wrong) says that there's something in his heart that's hoping he is convinced to stay. There is that sliver of hope, but the common sense in me says that since the cat's out of the bag, he's probably as good as gone. Who know's. I'm wrong 32.5% of the time, so the odds arent completely overwhelming.

http://sportsillustr...eality-alabama/

Saban seems to have a "we" backs approach that his running backs have bought into

And this guy has only won 3 MNC's in 4 years. What does he know about coaching................................................. :sarcasm

well, for starters, I could win national titles as a coach with talent that he's done it with. Just sayin. Nothin against Saban and the job he's done, but what is his record when his team's talent is not clear-cut better than his competition, or he doesnt have all the advantages of recruiting that's in the southeast?

2nd, it's easy to have a we-backs approach when you have multiple NFL-caliber backs. We've had that before, maybe we do have it now, but I'm gonna bet we dont. There's gotta be a reason Heard didnt completely split time with Ameer. maybe Ameer's a rythm back. Maybe he demanded the totes. I dont know, but it must be something.

People are trying way too hard to overstate how much we'll miss him.

Unless he plays for a conference rival, how well he does at the school he transfers to is completely irrelevant. He's gone, and no amount of praise toward him will bring him back.

Like Viper said to Maverick after Goose died, "you gotta let 'em go."

It was tough but I made it through.

Hopefully AA convinces him to still be his wingman.

http://sportsillustr...eality-alabama/

Saban seems to have a "we" backs approach that his running backs have bought into

And this guy has only won 3 MNC's in 4 years. What does he know about coaching................................................. :sarcasm

well, for starters, I could win national titles as a coach with talent that he's done it with. Just sayin. Nothin against Saban and the job he's done, but what is his record when his team's talent is not clear-cut better than his competition, or he doesnt have all the advantages of recruiting that's in the southeast?

2nd, it's easy to have a we-backs approach when you have multiple NFL-caliber backs. We've had that before, maybe we do have it now, but I'm gonna bet we dont. There's gotta be a reason Heard didnt completely split time with Ameer. maybe Ameer's a rythm back. Maybe he demanded the totes. I dont know, but it must be something.

You still have to know how to coach. Take a look at Texas the past 3 years mostly 4 or 5 star recruits yet they turn out subpar seasons. Take a look at A&M coach he did a helluva job and no one thought that A&M would do as good as they did in the SEC this year cause they did even did better than being in the Big 12. Yes i know Manziel was also a big reason why A&M did good but not sole. It's always a combination of good coaching and good players.

What does Alabama do on offense and defense? What did LSU do on offense and defense under Saban? Seriously. It is the most conventional philosophies in football. It works becuase they have lights out better talent than their competition. Now, I'm not saying Saban cant coach. I'm not saying I could coach as good as Saban, even though I insinuated such. I just dont believe in putting Saban on some sort of pedestal that he's the best coach that ever lived. It'd be like letting Dale Earnhardt Jr's car go 50 mph faster than everyone elses and then after a few championships saying "wow, Dale Jr. is the best race car driver ever".

If Saban did not have mediocre to NO success at Michigan St and NFLMiami, I would not be making this point. The fact of the matter is, with equal or less talent, Saban cant do sh#t. That is a fact.

However, I will concede that his ability to mobilize the talent he does have is commendable, because as you said, that is not always handled properly (texas, cough cough).

• Fire 2

Saben was pretty good at Michigan State, good enough the LSU came calling.

He does not have a lot better talent than top schools in the SEC. Even with LSU, SC is closing the gap if there is any. Saben is the best coach in the country, because he gets discipline/loyalty out of 5 star athletes. They play as a team, because as good as they are they know he wins and wins regularly. I do not think he is on par with Tom or Snyder, but there are truly few others like him. He is driven, and if things don't go wrong, he is going to win a few/lot more MNC. He loves Bama, his wife does and his kids do. I think he stays there for a long long time. And that is not good for the rest of college football. The only one in the SEC that is on line with or close is Spurrier, he just might make it up there. I like Miles, but I do not think he is the coach that Saben is.

He took a program in shambles and returned them to the top in 5-6 years.

He uses every advantage to the full extent. Inspirational speakers frequent the staff meetings and the practices. He recruits 24/7 365 a year. Believes the whole thing boils down to the Oline and Dline.

But the main difference between Bama and the rest right now, is that they will spend what ever it costs to win. I do not think they cheat, other than the over signing. But if they need a coach, there is no question they will pay what it takes to get him.

And my guess is that if he had coached Ohio State or Michigan you would not be saying the same about him, nothing negative there. Michigan State does not, did not get anywhere near the talent level of the other two and never has.